U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 AM

352 posts, read 322,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
... Let me educate you...
Please stay serious or be polite enough not to respond.

While some daycares might do it, many won't. In fact, many daycares even charge more for toddlers who aren't potty trained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,587,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Please stay serious or be polite enough not to respond.

While some daycares might do it, many won't. In fact, many daycares even charge more for toddlers who aren't potty trained.
Sure, I'll take your word over it vs someone who has been in the industry for almost 20 years and 11 as a director in both private and corporate run centers.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,587,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighteyes818 View Post
Here's the problem most of the children with parents paying something between $1200-2400 a month (wow that's a crazy amount to pay for childcare) are not the children that need diapers, those parents can afford diapers.
We can? Hmmm. I'd say we are struggling pretty hard and prioritize for things like diapers. Funny, but if we made less money we would get $2200 from Care 4 Kids and actually come ahead.

The threshold for a family of 4 is about $50,000 per year. That's not poor. I'm guessing many of you folks have no idea what the guidelines are and think it's just people working at McDonalds who are getting thousands per month in government payouts.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 AM

8,950 posts, read 10,151,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Typical propaganda. If you want reduced federal spending, you automatically want war and death, want to give corporations billions, old people in the street and pregnant women to miscarry. Pathetic.

Since we BORROW about 25% of our budget, I'd like to see that cut first. Secondly, these issues should be left up to the states, not the federal government. We were never designed to have a central government, nor were we supposed to have socialized programs such as SSI and Medicare.

So, you think giving people social programs makes us strong? Really? The history of our nation (And the world) is against you on that one. The more government has spent on "programs" the less productive we have become.

More propaganda. Boy you can't help yourself can you? Lets assume you're correct about the $290 per week. When you don't have to pay for rent, food, heat, utilities, healthcare etc that's more expendable income per month than my family has.

But let me ask you this since you seem to be a latte liberal who hob nobs with the CEO's and know this one and that one who is in a prominent place etc. When was the last time you actually walked into an apartment of one of the "working poor"? When was the last time you were friends with one of "them"?

You haven't and you're not. You have no real world reference to what you speak of. I'll reference a friend of mine - yes friend. He's the manager of a shoe store on upper Main Street in Hartford. Basically a Jewish owned (They have a nice beach house on the shore and million dollar house BTW - I've serviced them.) ghetto shoe store selling Chinese sourced athletic wear that sell for $150.00 etc taking all that state money sent to the hood to pay for their excess. I guess that's not a problem though...but I digress.

He makes about 25K per year. (You're magic $12.50 number...how about that!) His "girlfriend" earns about 24K per year as well. They have a 4 year old. They live in a rented house on the Glastonbury line. They get section 8, food stamps, heating assistance, care 4 kids (Free daycare).

Problem? They are not married and he lives there without the state knowing it so she qualifies for all the programs. Ooops. So do I report him?

But lets do some math here.

Rent: $1200.00 per month. $950 covered.
Food: $500.00 per month.
Heat: Lets guess about $1200 for the year.
Daycare: At least $800 per month.

Lets just go with that.

Rent: $11,400.00
Food: $6000.00
Heat: $1200.00
Daycare: $9600.00
Both salaries $49,000.00

Gross HH income just based on that: $77,200.00.

And that's not taking into account what pretax gross would actually be to match the state subsidy so it would be closer to $85,000 per year.

Well that explains all their spare cash, two new Honda's, nice clothes, flat screen etc.

But you're right Mark...they are just the "working poor".

Oh I see...you think it's your responsibility to support other people's children through taxation and redistribution. Well, I don't.

And BTW, since you are SUCH an advocate for the "poor"...care to share what family you decided to "sponsor" in the hood? Have you selected which child you would like to take and set up a college fund from your profitable company that has grown by 350% over the last couple years and expanding like crazy? Maybe you can be like Paul Newman and set up a charity and donate all the profit from your book to a family caught in the "poverty cycle". I'm SURE you volunteer for reading programs and big brother as well right?

Put your money where you mouth is and stop forcing your ideals on everyone else.

Yes, because if you are not interested in government nanny statism, you can't possibly be compassionate or charitable. Please.

Exactly. You are a shining example my friend.
Since I never see you complaining about war and death-- only about poor kids getting diapers and school lunches, what else am I to assume? You started the thread to complain about poor kids getting diapers with government assistant... You want me to believe that your primary concern with the budget is actually corporate welfare and war profiteering. It's pretty evident from your posts what you care about.

Since we borrow about 25% of our budget, let's reduce our military spending so we're only spending twice as our nearest competitor in military spending-- instead of 8x as much. Let's reform social security and reform our health care system so our medical bills aren't (per capita) 3x Canada's for poorer results (Look at life expectancy and infant death rates). Let's INCREASE our spending on social welfare programs and infrastructure programs.

I don't know where you get your claims that "world wide" the trend is less social spending. If you look at other countries, Germany for one, their social spending is higher (per capita) and a higher percentage of their budget. The US is the only place in the civilized world where the poor and middle class are left to fend for themselves when it comes to health care and even nutrition for children.

And yes, if you know people cheating the social welfare system you should report them. That would be positive. Instead you use your singular example to cast aspersions on the thousands and thousands who legitimately need and get help. If I said I knew one Italian guy who did x,y and z, would you think that was necessarily a reflection on you?

Since you asked, here's a few things I did/do to actively help the poor:

-Volunteered at a charter school in a poor neighborhood teaching computers
-Served on the Board of the United Way
-Volunteered as a mentor for children growing up in single parent households
-Serve as an advisor to a fledgling technology based charter school in Hartford
-Created an internship program within my previous company for high school students (from a high school in the poorest section of town)
-Volunteered to provide training to workers at a homeless shelter on software used for case management

Please don't try to insult me with your interpretation of my success in business. It's childish, off topic, and likely against the TOS.

But I really think my most important contribution is my abject rejection of social policy that continues to advantage the rich at the expense of the poor... and my continued advocacy for programs that truly help poor people and children continue to subsist and hopefully, eventually, thrive. Where you claimed "hunger is a great motivator," I think in the wealthiest country in the world no one should actually be hungry. The use of hunger as a means of social engineering is so unethical-- so antithetic to what any one who claims to be religious would believe in -- that I can hardly believe you suggested it.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM

453 posts, read 1,322,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
LOL! That is hilarious, thanks for the chuckle so early this morning. I used cloth diapers for my first son for a year or more, and also for several months for my second child. Our water bill was really high from all that washing. I think we saved a few dollars a week by choosing cloth, certainly not enough to celebrate over. Not to mention the environmental concerns over cloth diapers and the diaper pail in the house or the added cost of a diaper service, no matter which way you go it's expensive and bad for the environment.

K-12 - FamilyEducation.com

We did get something from the school recently asking for diaper donations, I'm not sure how much the government is actually spending on this. It seems like the diapers are mostly donated. I know when my kids outgrew a particular size of diapers and I was left with the old I would have loved somewhere to donate them to, if people want to donate that is their business. What bothers me is the fact that the diapers are only going to working moms, not those unemployed or staying at home. What if a mother is unemployed because she got laid and can't find a new job? I think there should be household income guidelines.
Cloth diapers can be reused for multiple children. Prefolds plus covers isn't that expensive. Now, if you're using fitted BumGenius All in Ones or some of the more expensive brands then yeah, it can be pricier. Prefolds can also be purchased used for even more of a savings. Sending the kid with a wetbag to day care isn't that big of a deal. I CD'd DD1 for a short bit at the end and DD2 with used prefolds I purchased along with a mix of prefolds w/ covers and all in ones. I saved hundreds. And we did it at a laundromat for a while, so my water bill never went up. It was one extra washer and one extra dryer each trip, the cost was much less than disposables cost.

If the diapers are donated then it shouldn't be limited solely to parents using a day care center. If someone is so hard up that they can't afford diapers, they are probably utilizing food banks and the like and the donated diapers can be dispensed through those programs, many of which already have income screening guidelines in effect.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM

26,139 posts, read 42,092,993 times
Sorry but because this thread is not specifically about Connecticut, I am going to have to move it over to the Politics Board. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,674,778 times
How bout this. If you can't afford diapers don't have a kid? Anybody ever thought of that novel concept? If you can't afford kids rubber up. If you somhow end up with one get another job and pay for it. Na not it today's world.

Soon the wall streeters will be needing diapers too I'm sure.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
How bout this. If you can't afford diapers don't have a kid?
Sound advice, but beyond the social engineering it would take to enforce that, the kid is already here.

What would you have it do? Crap in the street?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 AM

29,419 posts, read 18,674,778 times
That appears to be working for the wall street occupiers.

No I suggest the parents get a job to pay for it like I said. Get two jobs if need be. What do you suggest?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That appears to be working for the wall street occupiers.

No I suggest the parents get a job to pay for it like I said. Get two jobs if need be. What do you suggest?
I suggest that, since the children have no fault in choosing dead-beat parents (or a sick parent who isn't working... or a parent who got in to a bad accident..etc) that as a society we provide diapers for those children.

Seems so simple.. So Direct....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies