U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
 
Location: California
1,028 posts, read 1,143,239 times
Reputation: 828

Advertisements

The United States is one of the most partisan countries in the developed world. There are two very distinct political ideologies that are diametrically opposed to one another. Add to that the vast distance that the federal government controls, which means people from states with entirely different cultures, histories, and demographics, have to all live under the same set of federal laws. Case in point: The distance from Los Angeles to Columbia, South Carolina is greater than the distance from London to Moscow (and the cultural difference is greater too). Yet, while the Europeans have over 50 independent nations, over here people in San Francisco have to live under the same federal laws as those in Charleston.

What does this mean for us? That we're all unhappy. We are all living under policies we don't want to live under (Health care is the best example, an odd mixture of public [democratic] and private [republican] that make us get the worst of both worlds and the benefits of neither).

Why are we so naive to think that someday things will be better? Are we that shortsighted to believe that "if we can just win this next election, everything will be ok!" Lets just be honest here, we will NEVER be happy living together. Every 4-12 years someone from the other party will gain office, and the majority in congress will shift, and they will remove old policies and implement new ones that will make half the nation ecstatic and leave the other half seethingly bitter and angry. This means no policies will ever be in place long enough to have a real effect, there will always be constant congressional gridlocks so very little will ever get done, and our taxation and economic regulatory systems will constantly be in flux.

When we will all realize that our country isn't "too big to fail" and that completely independent, smaller regional nations would be much more effective. Why can't people in Oregon smoke pot? Why can't kids in Alabama pray in schools? Why can't Arizona enforce it's own immigration laws? Why are Californian's paying for and engaged in a war both of their senators voted againts?

One day you will all wake up and realize this union needs to be divided. I just hope we can do it without any bloodshed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Occupied Georgia CSA
535 posts, read 293,284 times
Reputation: 170
With yer choices I would rather live in a separate country. I know there is more than just 2 different ideological choices as well. In my view I believe the country will become balkanized within 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
 
11,371 posts, read 7,345,048 times
Reputation: 4523
Party doesn't mean much to me. I'm more interested in ideology. If your ideology is government is the problem and is always bad, don't run for public office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Occupied Georgia CSA
535 posts, read 293,284 times
Reputation: 170
True. I don't belong to a party because no one fits my beliefs 100%. I support Ron Paul because he is the closest to my beliefs and the best we can do right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,072,115 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
True. I don't belong to a party because no one fits my beliefs 100%. I support Ron Paul because he is the closest to my beliefs and the best we can do right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,361,282 times
Reputation: 24613
Neither choice is appropriate. i would rather continue to fight it out every four years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 PM
 
Location: I live between Myrtle Beach SC and Raleigh NC.
393 posts, read 562,485 times
Reputation: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
The United States is one of the most partisan countries in the developed world. There are two very distinct political ideologies that are diametrically opposed to one another. Add to that the vast distance that the federal government controls, which means people from states with entirely different cultures, histories, and demographics, have to all live under the same set of federal laws. Case in point: The distance from Los Angeles to Columbia, South Carolina is greater than the distance from London to Moscow (and the cultural difference is greater too). Yet, while the Europeans have over 50 independent nations, over here people in San Francisco have to live under the same federal laws as those in Charleston.

What does this mean for us? That we're all unhappy. We are all living under policies we don't want to live under (Health care is the best example, an odd mixture of public [democratic] and private [republican] that make us get the worst of both worlds and the benefits of neither).

Why are we so naive to think that someday things will be better? Are we that shortsighted to believe that "if we can just win this next election, everything will be ok!" Lets just be honest here, we will NEVER be happy living together. Every 4-12 years someone from the other party will gain office, and the majority in congress will shift, and they will remove old policies and implement new ones that will make half the nation ecstatic and leave the other half seethingly bitter and angry. This means no policies will ever be in place long enough to have a real effect, there will always be constant congressional gridlocks so very little will ever get done, and our taxation and economic regulatory systems will constantly be in flux.

When we will all realize that our country isn't "too big to fail" and that completely independent, smaller regional nations would be much more effective. Why can't people in Oregon smoke pot? Why can't kids in Alabama pray in schools? Why can't Arizona enforce it's own immigration laws? Why are Californian's paying for and engaged in a war both of their senators voted againts?

One day you will all wake up and realize this union needs to be divided. I just hope we can do it without any bloodshed.

You make very valid points but accordingly the states do not need to be divided but "States Rights" should be recognized as stated in the original Constitution of the United States. At this time they are watered down by the Federal governments intrusion into individual States laws, legally enacted by local legislatures. That is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,833,377 times
Reputation: 1695
Dividing the country would destroy both of them. Can't argue that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 780,310 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Neither choice is appropriate. i would rather continue to fight it out every four years.
Agreed. When the two party system WAS functioning properly, both sides kept the other in check. They kept each other from destroying themselves. It worked, when it was allowed to work.

Right now we just need to get the MONEY out of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Reputation: 32158
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Would you rather live under the "other" party forever, or divide the country?
The United States is one of the most partisan countries in the developed world.
No; it's not.

Quote:
There are two very distinct political ideologies that are diametrically opposed to one another.
Nope; you're wrong there too.
Well aside from the nutjob's found only at the fringe and edges.

The VAST majority, easily 60-70% of us, are in the moderate middle...
and in nearly universal agreement with each other on all but the rather few hot button social issues.

Issues that only some of those same nutjob's on the fringes and edges work so diligently
to inflate the importance of and use to create the sense of division you describe.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top