U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,692,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
True, plenty of dishonest bankers have come from elite universities, but my husband, and many people like him, has a Ph.D in physical chemistry. He, and many others from elite universities have helped to develop smaller and smaller chips which enable you to have cell phones, all kinds of safety devices and cool stuff in your cars, satellites, etc. etc. How about the research doctors who find cures for diseases?

Would you like us all to live in the stone age and not encourage intellectual development?
What makes one elite? For instance the same professors who teach at Drake University also teach at the local community college some of the same courses at night to earn extra dough. Does that make the community college elite among other community colleges who don't have "elite" professors getting down in the dirt to teach the poor souls who didn't have the money to go to the elite university?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM

11,992 posts, read 16,727,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What makes one elite? For instance the same professors who teach at Drake University also teach at the local community college some of the same courses at night to earn extra dough. Does that make the community college elite among other community colleges who don't have "elite" professors getting down in the dirt to teach the poor souls who didn't have the money to go to the elite university?
Drake University has an acceptance rate of 65%. One would be hardpressed to find that elite or selective. It's a fairly average university - a respectable degree of course but it's strengths are in local recognition, not national or international.

I didn't have the money to go to an elite university so I worked my tail end off to get a scholarship to my school that amounted to around $140,000. I could have gone to a less selective university with even more money (had a full ride to Tulane and could have used the HOPE to go to UGA's Honor's College) but luckily I had a family member who offered to pay the difference at the last moment.

In fact, one of the reasons I have not actively taken part in OWS is because people made poor choices regarding student loans and use that as their platform for protests. Unless you are in law, medical, or dental school (or the equivalent professional school), I do not understand how one could take out $40,000+ in loans.

That doesn't diminish the serious problems in this country with healthcare, unemployment, loss of purchasing power, the bailout, etc etc.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM

791 posts, read 1,249,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I know quite a few people with good jobs who are joining these protests after they get off work, but never let what the truth get in the way of what Rush Limbaugh and Fox News tell you to think.

Most of them are most definitely "du lib-ur-als", so continue with your current course.
Yeah, I'm one of them.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,829,303 times
Protesting is great when all the craft bakeries and organic farmers are getting subsidies to make food for the masses...er dontations.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:30 PM

26,342 posts, read 18,946,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I misread your post, because "elite" is usually used as an epithet on CD.
Sorry about that.
Hehe, premature misdirected outrage is always chuckleworthy

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

17,482 posts, read 20,858,857 times
Quote:
Why is it any of your business what anyone else does, or eats.
Sheesh.
Talk about grasping...

I send donations to feed the protesters. Guess what, I do exactly what I want to do with my money.

So sorry if you don't like it.
No one is trying to force you to do anything, now are they?
It may be none of my business but I do have the right to voice my opinion. sorry if "YOU" don't like it. good for You keep on sending your money. Everyone has a right to agree or disagree on this matter.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,168,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No doubt, the brainwashed right wing minions are going on a full blown trailer park ignorance rampage. I doubt any even read the OP, they just saw it was about the protesters exercising their constitution rights and they just automatically kicked on the stupid
I read the damned link and what I saw was that somebody is paying through the nose to feed these people one meal per day and the food is far fancier than most of us, you included, manage to get once a week.

What part of the OP link did you read?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,168,331 times
Quote:
I wondered how long it would take before the term "elite" was used to try to diminish people who are involved with their own, or other's, education.

Didn't take long at all.
Do you suppose the main elite school could be Harvard? I bet it sure is.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 AM

20,017 posts, read 15,702,736 times
More lulz at "elite" universities.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 AM

20,017 posts, read 15,702,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Just like your and others' claims that all the protesters are unemployed and/or homeless are unverifiable.

My own claim is quite verifiable: The Good Hodgkin's. Would be quite a lot of work to fake, don't you think?

Heck, I don't even *like* the Occupy movement and you've got me fighting you.
I have similar background to your MIT ex-bf and I've been to tea party rallies, exceptions always exist. I'm still not sold on the idea that he exists and is actually protesting, but perhaps he walked by the protests during his lunch break and raised his hand in solidarity.

BTW, my wife is in non-profit management too at Duke. Small world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or