Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
She is in college right now. What will she do when she graduates and cannot find a job in her field?

What will she do if she gets very sick?

If she ends up being a caregiver to someone else?

If one of her children ends up with cancer?

If she is seriously injured and cannot work?

As I always say, it's easy to have high minded ideals when you are not the one being affected.
So many young people think they're invincible. I'm lucky to have learned that lesson early on. You can get in an accident tomorrow and your whole life is turned upside-down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Wow, great rebuttal to his post! Now, why don't you try refuting what he has said?
I don't need to. I know where he/she went to college and know what they produce.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree, a lot of scholarships go to people because they are good at gaming the SATs, which is as much tied to natural intelligence and innate test taking skills as it is to hard work.
Yes, and a lot of them depend on the school itself, and what they choose to reward. My older daughter went to a college that is considered the "mecca" of the colleges of a particular religious denomination; they did not give out a ton of scholarships b/c they didn't have to. People wanted to go there, period. She got a small scholarship. My younger daughter went to another college of this denomination, and they gave out loads of scholarships. She got one that basically reduced the cost to close to in-state tuition at the U of CO.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I'd like to know how you separated those. The point of government intervention was to make loans easier to get just like with Freddie and Fannie.

Freddie and Fannie though became abominations that were competing with each other to make loans "easier" to get.
I'm not really sure what it is you think I've separated. Could you elaborate?

It's as if you're arguing with me and agreeing at the same time on exactly the same points.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm not really sure what it is you think I've separated. Could you elaborate?

It's as if you're arguing with me and agreeing at the same time on exactly the same points.
The inflation, the cost of schooling and the 30 year thing. I just wanted to know how you were separating them as if they were all something of another beast. Did I misunderstand you?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
She is in college right now. What will she do when she graduates and cannot find a job in her field?

What will she do if she gets very sick?

If she ends up being a caregiver to someone else?

If one of her children ends up with cancer?

If she is seriously injured and cannot work?

As I always say, it's easy to have high minded ideals when you are not the one being affected.
Exactly. None of us get through life unscathed.

Or how about people who do everything right, live below their means, then retire and get sick and need long term care?

If you have any savings, own a home, you're screwed if you need to go into a nursing home or SNF. They will take every cent as you average NH costs 5K a month.

You can't even "hide" your savings as there is a now a 5yr look back into what you have, isn't that nice?

Seriously, in that case you're better off being broke and getting Medicaid.

Or someone who gets laid off and finds that being over 50 is like being a pariah. They can't retire but they can't find a job, or are told "sorry you're overqualified" when they try to get a survival job.

It's very easy when it isn't you in the bad situation.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:52 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,059,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The inflation, the cost of schooling and the 30 year thing. I just wanted to know how you were separating them as if they were all something of another beast. Did I misunderstand you?
Apparently. Essentially all I said was that kids in school today are on the crappy end of a tuition bubble.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,965,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
"I got decent grades and recieved 2 scholarships that cover 90 percent of my tuition" gave the hoax away. You have to get better than decent grades.
Seriously! I graduated high school with a 3.77 and got NOTHING from the university I attend, and that's a ton better than decent. After my first year in college, it was a 3.65 and I still had nothing. "Decent grades" getting a scholarship, my A**! I've gotten some from other private donors, but those were for writing a cute little paper, not for actually working to get good grades.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,574,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
Seriously! I graduated high school with a 3.77 and got NOTHING from the university I attend, and that's a ton better than decent. After my first year in college, it was a 3.65 and I still had nothing. "Decent grades" getting a scholarship, my A**! I've gotten some from other private donors, but those were for writing a cute little paper, not for actually working to get good grades.
Very true, what are decent grades?

I know a young lady who did get her tuition covered her first year because of her musical ability(she was classically trained on the violin and had been playing since age 7) and her major was music education.

And even that was just for the first year.

Anyone can hold up a sign. And 90% covered, that is kind of an odd amount.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Apparently. Essentially all I said was that kids in school today are on the crappy end of a tuition bubble.
Due to government. I proved my point. Lets move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies