Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
... and still we find this nations youth not knowing how to count change .. the machine does it for them .. long hand math is a thing of the past .. knowing how to balance the checkbook can't be done without a calculator ..

They lack imagination, creativity, critical thought.

Look around you .. the TV commercials, the cartoons, the movies .. they are all the same .. made by people who fail to enlighten, entertain or educate .. they are mundane and redundant .. insidious and inane .. uneducated.

In school, they weren't taught to think, or even to think for themselves ..
That simply isn't true. My son is learning longhand math. Teens I know who are graduating from HS this year know longhand math, how to balance a checkbook, etc without a calculator.

Popular culture was never the bulwark of enlightened entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:00 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
We were taught how to use our minds .. not computers .. we can do the math in our heads or longhand showing the path to our right answers .. can you?

We were taught how to write and learned what English was .. we wrote it all out, longhand .. did you?

Do you even know what a pencil is?

Our current political climate is a direct result of our educational system failing our kids ..
I graduated from high school in 2006, college from 2010, am currently enrolled in an MBA program, and tutor kids in Spanish, English, and social science for pocket money - and have NO idea what you are talking about.

"Do you know what a pencil is?" Seriously? Kids learn long handed math long before they are allowed to have calculators. And yes, we write it by hand. By the time I entered middle school, they had started to phase out cursive handwriting, but yes, we still write everything. Even in college.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I graduated from high school in 2006, college from 2010, am currently enrolled in an MBA program, and tutor kids in Spanish, English, and social science for pocket money - and have NO idea what you are talking about.

"Do you know what a pencil is?" Seriously? Kids learn long handed math long before they are allowed to have calculators. And yes, we write it by hand. By the time I entered middle school, they had started to phase out cursive handwriting, but yes, we still write everything. Even in college.
LOL Thank you for addressing that post. My thoughts were basically after reading that. I have to wonder if people who think like bigskydude even have children and if so, where do they attend school?

Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
I applaud this person. I find it repulsive that someone would call them hypocritical for accepting any tuition assistance given the state of education today and the way that the feds have interwoven themselves into the business of education today. That is like telling a homeless person that they a not good enough to accept someone's charity. There are times when people do want to help.

1. Not all scholarships are government, there are plenty of non-government scholarships or fellowships available to people.

2. Scholarships are a product of working hard. In other words, they are earned.

3. This person knows what sacrifice means and that should be applauded. That sacrifice shows that they know big picture thinking which so many people who live for the moment in today's world do not know how to do.

So for all of you to see any form of hypocrisy or negativity, that is just ridiculous and shows your lack of knowledge of the "business of education". When that cost of tuition these days is so great and the increases each year far exceed inflation, you have to wonder what the thought process is. Why aren't more OWS protesters going after the greedy university presidents? I know that my tuition went up by 9.9% in one year while inflation was around 3%. I will never send my kids to a private school at this point.

This how kids today should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Hahah and meanwhile none of that will matter as the corporations that have no loyalty to America or Americans could care less about upstanding or responsnible or hardworking young men and women like him/her and would much rather pay some 13 year old teen girl in China pennies to sew some Nike shoes together or some Indian to work in their call center. While I can appreciate this kids message and his heart is in the right place.......in the end he's clueless. While he plays by the rules everyone around him i.e. the rich fat cats in Washington and their plutocrat friends on WallStreet are bending him over with 9 inches of plastic in one hand and a tub of vaseline in the other.

This idealistic young person hasn't even said whether or not he has a damn job lined up after college! LOL Holding a feel good sign like that isn't going to put food on the table.
Op got owned quickly with your reply, thank you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Cool story bro

Your generation is, for the most part, a complete joke. Memo to you.... you will never be 1/1000th the man your grandfather was because you expect everything handed to you like most of your spoiled and clueless generation. What do you or most of todays teens stand for besides Jersey Shore or texting? Wow, you guys really set yourselves up for respect.

Previous generations actually worked for what they have and actually stood for something. The 60's generation gave us civil rights for example and you clowns keep crying racism over nothing. What is the big issue to todays youth? Legalizing pot?!? What a joke, although it should be legalized.

Instead of sitting around watching reality tv, playing video games and spoing whatever drugs there are to be smoked, why not follow previous generations and develop a better work ethic. No jobs? Why not try and start a business.

The entitlement mentality of the youth is a big reason why we will continue to flounder (as one of many reasons though... you guys are not TOTALLY to blame)
It's your kind that keep the corporate wheel spinning.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.
Instead of goofing off, they worked hard and made the grades. That scholarship wasn't handed to them for nothing. They earned it.

If someone takes high school seriously and wants to apply for a scholarship and they receive that scholarship GOOD FOR THEM. THEY EARNED IT.

All of the people I know with scholarships earned it in some way or another. They didn't expect it to be handed to them. They were smart, took SOMETHING seriously, and applied.

I'm not gonna hate on them.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
It's your kind that keep the corporate wheel spinning.

Not so fast my friend. Think about this in the big picture. The people of today expect to be paid more so that adds to the corporate bottom line. People who have bought that corporations stock want more back from that company which forces the company to make hard cuts forcing them to send work overseas. The government taxes the corporation very highly (second highest corporate tax in the world) in order to provide for all of the unnecessary spending each year along with taxing the people highly who work hard for their money so those same people expect even more from the company they invested in. Guess what, the bottom line gets cut more and more. So while you blame the corporation, there are more and more mitigating factors that go into the cost of doing business.

Bottom line is remove the government entitlements out of the picture and people's attitudes may change. Make it harder for people to receive handouts and they will work in order to get what they need. Foster a charitable mentality rather than a nanny-state mentality and much of this will change. Remove the feds in every aspect of our lives and the bottom line will inevitably come down.

Of course, it is all easy to write this in a forum but there is no black & white here. There are many intermingled factors and it is not just the corporations fault. We are all in this together.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Not everyone who works hard in school receives scholarships. Not everyone who has even better grades than this student receives scholarships. It would appear that it is the 90% scholarship that enables this student to be debt free.

This student is very fortunate to have received the 90% scholarships, not every hard worker is in that situation. This student doesn't appear to understand how fortunate they are, they appear to think that everyone who works just as hard or harder receives the same opportunity.

And that is a sad fact, just as people who expect everything to be handed to them is sad.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yeah, too many successful people would be downright awful.
How do we know this person will be successful? S/he is only a senior in college, 20-21-22 years old.

People who put themselves up as some sort of role model like that are obnoxious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Not everyone who works hard in school receives scholarships. Not everyone who has even better grades than this student receives scholarships. It would appear that it is the 90% scholarship that enables this student to be debt free.

This student is very fortunate to have received the 90% scholarships, not every hard worker is in that situation. This student doesn't appear to understand how fortunate they are, they appear to think that everyone who works just as hard or harder receives the same opportunity.

And that is a sad fact, just as people who expect everything to be handed to them is sad.
And not everyone who gets a scholarship works hard for it. Some people apply for every scholarship under the sun. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but if you apply for enough of them you're bound to hit one that you are a perfect fit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies