Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times

Advertisements

"I got decent grades and recieved 2 scholarships that cover 90 percent of my tuition" gave the hoax away. You have to get better than decent grades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 PM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Wonder what he will have to say when he is 72, always been debt free, always played by the rules, was a good parent who raised 3 productive kids, a good neighbor, good citizen, Sunday school teacher, scout leader, foster parent, 20 years of PTO, every sport heard of coach or referee, church youth sponsor, etc, etc.? You can spend your life playing by the rules and trying to be smart and still wind up getting screwed. The stock market is not user friendly and there are crooks everywhere getting the Citizen of the Year awards at Chamber dinners. Politicians and their owners can cut your life saving in 1/2 overnight. They can tweak the money supply so that you have to pay the bank to let you have a CD. They can load a community up with tax credit apartments and so overload a school with low income kids that the school cannot cope and houses will not sell even in a good market. Then some arse running for president tells us all if we are not making it, it is all our fault. And people believe him. That is the sad part.
Good luck to the kid. I'll hold him in the Light.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:45 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Wonder what he will have to say when he is 72, always been debt free, always played by the rules, was a good parent who raised 3 productive kids, a good neighbor, good citizen, Sunday school teacher, scout leader, foster parent, 20 years of PTO, every sport heard of coach or referee, church youth sponsor, etc, etc.? You can spend your life playing by the rules and trying to be smart and still wind up getting screwed. The stock market is not user friendly and there are crooks everywhere getting the Citizen of the Year awards at Chamber dinners. Politicians and their owners can cut your life saving in 1/2 overnight. They can tweak the money supply so that you have to pay the bank to let you have a CD. They can load a community up with tax credit apartments and so overload a school with low income kids that the school cannot cope and houses will not sell even in a good market. Then some arse running for president tells us all if we are not making it, it is all our fault. And people believe him. That is the sad part.
Good luck to the kid. I'll hold him in the Light.
Two things we will know:

1. How he voted.
2. That he didn't learn.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.
Spoken like a bitter student who didn't qualify for any scholarships. Absolute absurdity.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Spoken like a bitter student who didn't qualify for any scholarships. Absolute absurdity.
Hey you can believe what you want. It won't change the fact I averaged 23K in scholarships per year when I was in college and it won't change my financial position so believe whatever makes you happy.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
She's young enough not to know that you can work just as hard as she did and still wind up seriously screwed because of greed of the one percent. She'd think differently if she really lived in the real world where you see your health care premiums go up by 100% in a single year because the CEO decided he needed a new vacation house. She'd think differently if she suffered a pay cut while the head of her company walked off with stock options after he ran his company into the ground.

Our grievances are rooted in real issues. The right and left ignore them at their peril.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Hey you can believe what you want. It won't change the fact I averaged 23K in scholarships per year when I was in college and it won't change my financial position so believe whatever makes you happy.
Then why are you so bitter? There are glaring holes in your 'hypocrisy at its finest' claim that I have a difficult time believing that even you believe what you're spewing.

Do you not comprehend the difference between receiving in-state tuition that's available to ANY kid living in that state and expecting someone else to finance your college? Yes, state taxes go to help fund public universities. They also go to pay for police, road and infrastructure improvements, public libraries, etc. Using those resources does not automatically qualify someone as a hypocrite. Going above and beyond using what is available to everyone and then expecting someone to also discharge your educational debt IS entitlement mentality.

And last I checked, scholarships are in no way guaranteed so there can be no expectation of receiving one or "having everything handed to me" as you so eloquently put it. It takes hard work either academically, athletically, or both. See the theme here? Hard work.

There is nothing hypocritical of taking advantage of programs/services/tuition that are supported with tax dollars when it is available to everyone and is for the benefit of everyone. Discharging one's personal college debt at the expense of the taxpayers doesn't benefit the taxpayers in any way. Supporting my state's public universities via state taxes should be the only expectation from this entitlement mentality crowd. But no, they want a 100% free ride so they don't have to work their way through school or pay off student loans after graduation. Well they can kiss this taxpayer's derriere.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
How do you know? both my daughters went to and graduated college this decade and have great careers and low debt. and they both worked while going to school.
I agree. I and other memebrs of my family have propered from gettig college degrees. I was worried about the last one who grdauted this eyar. But she was recruited even before she dradualted by several comapnies and is now happily workig for a major corporation. Boththeri father and mother alos had degrees and doig very well. Without mine I don't thnik I would be retired now fiancially secure as is possible.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Then why are you so bitter? There are glaring holes in your 'hypocrisy at its finest' claim that I have a difficult time believing that even you believe what you're spewing.

Do you not comprehend the difference between receiving in-state tuition that's available to ANY kid living in that state and expecting someone else to finance your college? Yes, state taxes go to help fund public universities. They also go to pay for police, road and infrastructure improvements, public libraries, etc. Using those resources does not automatically qualify someone as a hypocrite. Going above and beyond using what is available to everyone and then expecting someone to also discharge your educational debt IS entitlement mentality.

And last I checked, scholarships are in no way guaranteed so there can be no expectation of receiving one or "having everything handed to me" as you so eloquently put it. It takes hard work either academically, athletically, or both. See the theme here? Hard work.

There is nothing hypocritical of taking advantage of programs/services/tuition that are supported with tax dollars when it is available to everyone and is for the benefit of everyone. Discharging one's personal college debt at the expense of the taxpayers doesn't benefit the taxpayers in any way. Supporting my state's public universities via state taxes should be the only expectation from this entitlement mentality crowd. But no, they want a 100% free ride so they don't have to work their way through school or pay off student loans after graduation. Well they can kiss this taxpayer's derriere.
Did you read my post? It is utter hypocrisy to take scholarships and not acknowledge that people are handing something to you and helping you in a big way. The people who set up scholarships do so as a gift to young people to help them study. They do not expect something for themselves in return aside from the satisfaction of giving, as I said sure you might have to put some effort in to keep getting scholarships, but they are pure magnanimity. You are indeed being handed something by a donor out of the donor's good will and to not acknowledge that fact just smacks of entitlement. It is the same with attending a public university. Every single person who pays state taxes is helping you get an education. Whether they like it or not they are handing you something to subsidize your learning.

Once more saying you have to work hard for scholarships while true is another entitlement view. If you are in school you should be going balls to the walls to get grades regardless. Academic ties to scholarships are just to ensure they are not wasted.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-19-2011 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies