Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is the third thread on this topic today.
Please use the search feature before starting new threads.

Ode to US Truckers..Mexican trucks to enter the US on Friday
Why don't you admit as long as you have your leftist president in the White House, you don't really give a damn about unemployment rates and falling wages. You have exactly what you want so you don't want this issue discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, since NAFTA was a treaty negotiated with Canada and Mexico and passed and signed into law with an implementation date of January 1, 1994
I didn't know Obama was President in 1994, I seem to remember it was Clinton, and amended under Bush.

** People are blaming Obama for the trucking deal.

In the 70's when Nixon opened up trading with China the idea was for the US to sell our crap to THEM, strange how things worked out.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Welcome to globalism.

If we had a truly free and open market, you could compete. If you were in a closed market, you could compete. In a market that shackles local merchants and product while letting foreign competitors wander free, you have no chance... unless of course you move your operation to Mexico.

BUT.......... and it's a really big but........ As a foreign national in Mexico, you will not be allowed to own a business (or property within 50 miles of a beach) unless you "partner" with a local who will more than likely rob you blind and leave you in a gutter with your throat slit after you've provided the capital to start a new venture. Go figure.

NAFTA is a giant freaking scam to create an entire nation of serfs and wage slaves. It was meant to be lob sided from the beginning. It's no different than China's most favored nation status. As long as our market is hindered, we cannot compete in a global market. If we want to continue controlling the markets, we have to shut the front door. Air conditioning doesn't work if the freaking windows are open.

I personally am for an open market. Most democrats are actually against NAFTA because they're well aware that in the closed system they prefer, this kind of BS is sheer folly. The Republicans own this one for sure but Obama isn't guilt free because were he actually a real democrat and not an oligarch be would have fought it. While the Republicans were thinking on the lines of free trade, they failed to smell the coffee and realize we don't have a system of free trade and that NAFTA is just plain stupid.
I think we should secede from Mexico and Canada.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why don't you admit as long as you have your leftist president in the White House, you don't really give a damn about unemployment rates and falling wages. You have exactly what you want so you don't want this issue discussed.
Exactly what the Conservatives argued in supporting NAFTA! Those who spoke against NAFTA were accused of not caring about USA employment rates.

NAFTA goes back a long, long time. It did not 'spring up' in the past day or two. It was implemented, in stages, over almost the past two decades. The 'trucking' part was held off until we could be sure that the Mexican trucks entering our country would be safe on our roads.

I was one who agreed with Ross Perot that NAFTA would not be real good for the country. Yet the cry was 'free trade is the conservative way!'

Heck, at one point the politicians were vying for a 'super corridor' from south Texas up through north Texas (trans-Texas corridor) and beyond, just to handle the Mexican truck traffic that was expected. I recall that the super corridor, that was to run along I-35, would have six or eight lanes on each side for cars/trucks, as well as rail lines. When someone said "hey, this will cost some billion dollars per mile", it was given up (I think just this year).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM

272 posts, read 208,331 times
If this is not reason enough to kick that usurper out the White House, I don't know what is.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
There is a simple solution to this problem. Make it so it costs these foreign companies more than it is worth to drive through the US. Sabotage their trucks, slash their tires, put sugar or mothballs in the gas tank, etc., etc. If they cannot deliver their goods, how long do you think they will make the attempt?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
09.07.07 - Mexican Trucks Approved by Bush

09.07.07 - Mexican Trucks Approved by Bush - YouTube

“There are no means to regulate these guys. Bush has opened up highways to unsafe trucks,” Flores said at the Laredo protest. “I don’t want them sharing the roads with my family.”

Drivers protest Mexico truck plan - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Bush Administartion Ignoring Legislation President Signed By Allowing Mexican Trucks on U.S. Roads
Bush Administartion Ignoring Legislation President Signed By Allowing Mexican Trucks on U.S. Roads

Old 10-20-2011, 08:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
I'll admit that I haven't followed this issue closely, but on the surface it sounds like a terrible idea and very indicative of how out of touch Washington is with America. It's almost as if the competing interests (domestic vs. international) always seem to trump what's best for our own people when contemplating trade policy.

I don't get it.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:51 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gametime View Post
If this is not reason enough to kick that usurper out the White House, I don't know what is.
I guess you don't know Obama had NOTHING to do with this, or the power to stop it from happening.

I believe all the Congress needs to do is repeal all aspects of the NAFTA agreement.
Ya'll call your Congressperson TODAY to get started.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 AM

272 posts, read 208,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, since NAFTA was a treaty negotiated with Canada and Mexico and passed and signed into law with an implementation date of January 1, 1994, my question is simple:

You are the President. What would you have done? Please provide your Constitutional authority for your answer.

For instance, "I would have said NO", is not a valid answer. Or, if it is, please explain what authority the President has to unilaterally tear up a treaty.

What would you, as the President, have done?
Tax the hell out of them. they want to use our country as a pass-thru, then tax the hell out of them. make so hard to get thru, they'll tear up their own treaty. They don't have our approval to come through, unless Bush or Obama approved it.

Secondly, make the border patrol checks so strict, they would rather carry the loads on their backs than to bring their potential truck bombs through one of our cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies