U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
 
20,978 posts, read 16,178,532 times
Reputation: 10270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
So you assume Warren Buffet accumulating over 39 billion had nothing to do with luck or timing (when he was born, the events of his time...etc)?

Because that is essentially what your post is saying...

If that is the case, do you assume you could accumulate 39 billion too (in today's day and age) if you were smarter and worked harder than Buffet? Because your argument so far is that you can. You don't believe luck plays any role... luck of when you were born... luck of the changing conditions in the world... etc, etc...

When we are talking MEGA-WEALTH, luck plays a HUGE role
When we are talking little-money <500K or so, luck plays less of a role
The less money we are talking, the less luck plays a role

Because if this wasn't the case, someone who worked harder than Bill Gates, and was smarter than him would have more money than him... Do you think Bill Gates is the smartest, and hardest working person in America?
Luck does not effect true greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 20,113,940 times
Reputation: 5601
It has nothing to d with how much money you make, it's all about what you do with the money you make.
Hotair2 says $250,000 a year is where rich begins. I never made close to that amount, and I retired with several million in assets, and have more money than I will spend in my life time.
I worked several jobs, never took vacations, never wasted money on anything that wouldn't make me money, made the sacrifices, did all the right things.
It takes dedication, sacrifice, and brains, not a huge income. Anyone can do it, some aren't willing to pay the price....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,386,874 times
Reputation: 6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It has nothing to d with how much money you make, it's all about what you do with the money you make.
Hotair2 says $250,000 a year is where rich begins. I never made close to that amount, and I retired with several million in assets, and have more money than I will spend in my life time.
I worked several jobs, never took vacations, never wasted money on anything that wouldn't make me money, made the sacrifices, did all the right things.
It takes dedication, sacrifice, and brains, not a huge income. Anyone can do it, some aren't willing to pay the price....
Bingo.
Too many prefer to sit and complain that life isnt fair. They say they work hard flipping burgers. No doubt they do. But what do they do in their free time? Do they work a second job to get ahead? Do they save for school? Do they try to build their skills? No they hang out with people who also complain.
None of my friends are poor. Many started out poor, I did too. We all have a few things in common. We are all frugal, all planners and all are willing to double the effort to achieve our goals. None of us buy new cars every year. Those that have cell phones get the cheap buy minutes in advance type no contract. we all built our own homes except for 1.
Its effort and sacrifice. Plan and adjust.
At work I read every techincal manual they had for our equipment. Studied hard did overtime to work with the guys who had experience. made it a point to never stop trying to be the best. I promoted early and often.
My salary is right at 80 g a year. my stock dividends pay another 36 that I roll over back into stocks.
My gas rights pay 210G that goes right into stocks and gold. People say if I had that I would quit this job. And they are also the ones who live pay check to pay check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 10,261,776 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Of course there was no reply to any of that...
I never saw it until I saw your post. I have that particular poster on ignore and now I remember why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
 
27,903 posts, read 34,291,328 times
Reputation: 4031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I never saw it until I saw your post. I have that particular poster on ignore and now I remember why.
Facts are frustrating things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
 
66,168 posts, read 30,006,767 times
Reputation: 8573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
It has nothing to d with how much money you make, it's all about what you do with the money you make.
Hotair2 says $250,000 a year is where rich begins. I never made close to that amount, and I retired with several million in assets, and have more money than I will spend in my life time.
I worked several jobs, never took vacations, never wasted money on anything that wouldn't make me money, made the sacrifices, did all the right things.
It takes dedication, sacrifice, and brains, not a huge income. Anyone can do it, some aren't willing to pay the price....
Yep. The same is documented in The Millionaire Next Door. Not sure why some are still insisting it's not possible. There's plenty of evidence that it CAN be done, exactly as YOU have.

Congrats to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,307,006 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Success in life has nothing to do with intelligence, genetics, parents, the boogie man, etc.

The only common denominator I have seen in successful people, whether they are athletes or business owners (I know a lot of business owners, and most of them are not extraordinarily smart and a lot of them come from total hick backgrounds) or professionals or olympic athletes...is DISCIPLINE.
[LEFT]“The common denominator of success --- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful --- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don't like to do.”[/LEFT]
THE COMMON DENOMINATOR OF SUCCESS, E.A. Gray, 1940
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,731,370 times
Reputation: 1290
I don't think anyone is arguing that you can't make a couple million within your lifetime

I think people are arguing that luck is involved when you make 50 million, 500 million, 1 billion... Big money
Anyone can live frugal on a regular salary and save up/invest to turn a couple million... As we have stated, when less money is involved-- there is little luck
We are talking about the super rich

We aren't saying that they don't work hard, but rather, luck becomes more involved when you get into the high millions and billion level

It is kind of ignorant to assume that no luck is involved in getting super rich. That just isn't based in reality. Luck can take many forms, here are examples:
Where you are born, when you are born, who you are classmates with, how much money your parents have when you are born, genetics...etc.

These are things you typically have no control over-- that is called "luck of the draw"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM
 
18,640 posts, read 12,063,618 times
Reputation: 10133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
So all of your friends are rich, and the ones that are not it is their fault?
Yes- that is about the size of it. Most of my friends are rich. All of them are self made men and none are lazy. Rationalization is the refuge of losers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,420 posts, read 74,265,837 times
Reputation: 47798
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
[LEFT]“The common denominator of success --- the secret of success of every man who has ever been successful --- lies in the fact that he formed the habit of doing things that failures don't like to do.”[/LEFT]
THE COMMON DENOMINATOR OF SUCCESS, E.A. Gray, 1940
u r so right. i always did the jobs others did not want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top