Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You have lost me? Sweety, I thought with a name like Big john you would be a man? Does not matter. What point are you attempting to make?
Well that's what happens when logic is interjected into illogical threads. The OP gets lost very easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Well that's what happens when logic is interjected into illogical threads. The OP gets lost very easy.
So you are not going to answer any of the questions and just make nonsensical posts. I have better use of my time, but thanks for reading the thread.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Success in life has nothing to do with intelligence, genetics, parents, the boogie man, etc.

The only common denominator I have seen in successful people, whether they are athletes or business owners (I know a lot of business owners, and most of them are not extraordinarily smart and a lot of them come from total hick backgrounds) or professionals or olympic athletes...is DISCIPLINE.

So, you might come from a dysfunctional background, have little to no money, but you become educated, work from sun-up to sun down to further yourself, only to come down with cancer, get into a car accident, lose your spouse or support system, or any number of things out of your control, and the only common denominator to whether you are successful or not in life is discipline?

You might want to rethink that statement.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Lightbulb Yes. Define rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
What IS rich though?

You can still make $150K a year and still live paycheck to paycheck.
If you have a $12 an hour worker vs a salaried worker making $150K a year... and the $12 an hour lives within his means and has 30% of his income as saveable & disposable... whereas the guy making $150K only has 5% of his income that's disposable because of his spending habits. Sure the AMOUNT of that 5% is more than the $12er's 30%.. but the $12er has a lot more room to breathe and not be overwhelmed by bills/debt.

So in this situation -- who is really the rich person?

To anyone that spends their money wrecklessly -- despite income -- is doomed for failure. If the $150K person lived WELL in their means (and clearly they can)... they would be rich. Imagine making $150K a year and living a $20k a year lifestyle? THAT'S where the person is "rich". But making $150K and living $145K lifestyle.....you just have a lot of flashy items.

It really depends on whatever someone's definition is.
I agree, rich should be defined. In Forbes October 10, 2011 Edition, an article published by Rich Karlgaard stated "Two million bucks is the great dividing line between middle class-comfort and worry in America right now".

In 2010 3,584,398 wage earners out of 150,398,796 earned more than 150K
Wage Statistics for 2010

In 2010 20,276 wage earners out of 150,398,796 earned more than 2M
Wage Statistics for 2010

Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I agree, rich should be defined. In Forbes October 10, 2011 Edition, an article published by Rich Karlgaard stated "Two million bucks is the great dividing line between middle class-comfort and worry in America right now".

In 2010 3,584,398 wage earners out of 150,398,796 earned more than 150K
Wage Statistics for 2010

In 2010 20,276 wage earners out of 150,398,796 earned more than 2M
Wage Statistics for 2010
When making an argument about whether the rich should be taxed at a higher rate the argument always is that they earned their money, when in reality they have worked no harder or any many cases less hard than most americans. In most cases just simply luckier. No different than winning the lottery. Did they earn that money?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No, all my friends are not rich. But it's pretty easy to see why the ones who are rich are rich and the ones who aren't aren't.

For some people, it's not a priority. That's their business. For some people, they are really effin' stupid about their finances.

But I don't know anyone who played the game right and didn't sit pretty damn comfortable at the end of the day. Including immigrants who came to this country with no money and no help.
Totally agree for some it's not a priority. They are happy where they sit which is really all that matters. If your not then get to where you want to be. That is what the American Dream is after all. You have the opportunity to create your own happiness.

I had a buddy who used to work two jobs from the time we graduated hi skool. Took the money from one job and invested it all. Said he was going to be a millionaire. Now I lost touch with him a few years after college but he did this the whole time I knew him and I'm sure he continued after we lost touch. That is what made him happy. I thought he was crazy but to each his own.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
In the Wonderful World of Mammon how you obtained the money is irrelevant. The only important thing is that you have it. More then 99% of us do not have it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Totally agree for some it's not a priority. They are happy where they sit which is really all that matters. If your not then get to where you want to be. That is what the American Dream is after all. You have the opportunity to create your own happiness.

So if you are not rich it is because you are not motivated? Does that mean that the rich are simply more motivated. Were the Waltons more motivated when they inherited their billions, or was it simply chance?

I had a buddy who used to work two jobs from the time we graduated hi skool. Took the money from one job and invested it all. Said he was going to be a millionaire. Now I lost touch with him a few years after college but he did this the whole time I knew him and I'm sure he continued after we lost touch. That is what made him happy. I thought he was crazy but to each his own.
It would be more of an interesting story, if it had an ending. What happened with his quest to become rich?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
So, you might come from a dysfunctional background, have little to no money, but you become educated, work from sun-up to sun down to further yourself, only to come down with cancer, get into a car accident, lose your spouse or support system, or any number of things out of your control, and the only common denominator to whether you are successful or not in life is discipline?

You might want to rethink that statement.
You know, I was going to put in a disclaimer about how if you got sick or something, that was a different story, but I had more respect for the intelligence of the other posters on this thread. My mistake.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Like I said we lost touch. He may be one of the illuminati for all I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies