Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

This thread once again reeks of comments written by people that know nothing about Europe whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Stein is correct. The problem is the ignorant Chicken Littles that don't understand how it is applied in certain cases - namely contracts and divorces with international custody battles.

It's nothing to worry about.
I see that you didn't read those words as I did. I think that Koh meant to say that Shariah would certainly sneak its way into our legal system. I don't think that Koh realized what has happened up to now in the UK and certainly you don't.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I'm an Islamophobe. I detest Islam.

I also detest right wing scaremongering that mispresents the law and the nature of how foreign law is used in our courts.
How in hell can you lawyer types think that foreign law should be allowed to enter into our form? I do wonder about that one.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you didn't read those words as I did. I think that Koh meant to say that Shariah would certainly sneak its way into our legal system.

It's already there, where it is appropriate to utilize, just like any other foreign body of law. There are appropriate cases and circumstances in which this happens.

This is not new. This has been the way it is for centuries.

People are taking advantage of your fear and gullibility.

Quote:
I don't think that Koh realized what has happened up to now in the UK and certainly you don't.

Koh and I both realize that the situation is not what it is represented to be in the right wing media.

It's just scaremongering.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,216,945 times
At the risk of sounding extremely ignorant, what is Sharia Law and what implications does it have in day to day living? I know very little about it, aside from it being religous Islamic law. Specifics please.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
more unfounded hoopla over a propaganda.

they've been claiming Sharia law will be in the US since Reagan's tenure.

30 years later and we are still governed by the US Constitution.

Seems that you lot forget that nothing can over rule the Constitution.
I see that you managed to avoid all the support for the new methods of governing that the OWSS put out after nearly a month in operation. They surely do want to replace the Constitution and their start is the replacement of our Congress without an amendment. You need to find the two threads about that bunch and try to figure out what they are saying, We have a number of people who are willing to see that group win out over our Constitution and the Congress it created.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:32 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times
Quote:
I see that you managed to avoid all the support for the new methods of governing that the OWSS put out after nearly a month in operation.
A list of demands that I don't agree with. Demands does not equal anyone is going to act on them.

Quote:
They surely do want to replace the Constitution and their start is the replacement of our Congress without an amendment.
I've seen their demands. They are unrealistic and moronic. Demands doesn't mean anyone is going to act on them.

Quote:
You need to find the two threads about that bunch and try to figure out what they are saying, We have a number of people who are willing to see that group win out over our Constitution and the Congress it created.
Those people are morons IMHO. And demands doesn't mean anyone is going to act on them.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
How in hell can you lawyer types think that foreign law should be allowed to enter into our form? I do wonder about that one.
I've already explained this in excruciating detail in another thread, the same one where I debunked the so-called examples of creeping Sharia. None of them were any such thing, they were all (save arguably one) examples of how foreign law is used in US courts - and appropriately.

For example: contracts between US citizens that stipulate the contract is to be construed under Sharia law. It is completely appropriate to permit this - moreover it creates no precedent and affects no one else but the parties to the contract, who have already agreed to be bound by its terms.

International divorces and custody disputes: entirely appropriate to consult and consider foreign law.

This whole issue is absolute nonsense.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
At the risk of sounding extremely ignorant, what is Sharia Law and what implications does it have in day to day living? I know very little about it, aside from it being religous Islamic law. Specifics please.
Unless you marry a foreign national from a Muslim country or enter into a contract in which you agree to be bound by Sharia...

...you have nothing to worry about. It's just a circus sideshow for the ignorant and easily frightened.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
It's already there, where it is appropriate to utilize, just like any other foreign body of law. There are appropriate cases and circumstances in which this happens.

This is not new. This has been the way it is for centuries.

People are taking advantage of your fear and gullibility.

Koh and I both realize that the situation is not what it is represented to be in the right wing media.

It's just scaremongering.
Of course you watched the linked video and saw the imam telling young Muslims about how Shariah is taking over. Go ahead and talk about scaremongering and make sure you are still doing it when they take over and we no longer have the system you trained under and about.

Do you remember the fairly recent case of a murder by a young man in Missouri where the state tried to use capital punishment on the man and the Supreme Court stopped it in that case and the 4 Justices who were on the left side used European law to say that the 30 states that want to use capital punishment had to accept the fact that 20 other states, all blue, don't use it and that outnumbers the 30? The murder that kid pulled off should have resulted in the police letting him escape and killing him to recapture him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies