Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Sharia courts, blah-blah-blah-blah.

So what?

Those Sharia courts that worry you so, aren't imposing any laws or rulings that aren't in accordance with the laws of the country they are in. The Sharia courts in England aren't ordering anyone beheaded, aren't ordering that thiefs have their hands chopped off. They are in complete compliance with English law. COMPLETE COMPLIANCE.

If someone wants their divorce to be moderated by someone who belongs to their religion, who understands their beliefs and culture, is that skin off your nose? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Catholics in this country often go through the Catholic Church to obtain annulments? Is that skin off your nose?

Islamic extremists declare a Sharia zone? So what? It just makes it easier to know who those extremists are, so Britain's intelligence services can monitor them more closely. Let those extremists speak out. We WANT to hear their outrageous claims, we WANT to hear their goals and how they want to achieve those goals, we WANT our enemies to tell us all about themselves. Extremists are our enemies, whether they are Muslim or Christian, and if they want to announce themselves, then good! We want to know who they are, the better to monitor them and their activities.
So what? That is your battle cry? LOL.

Let Sharia courts dictate marriage in the US. That's ok with you? Forced marriag to minors fine with you? I pray you don't have a daughter. Feed the crocodile my friend and maybe you will last a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm sorry for your mother issues but that's none of my business and I hope you'll respect that in the future.

While you are correct that by adhering to the constitution, Sharia law is not to be feared, but, in case you haven't noticed, the constitution has been used as toilet paper by our own elected leaders for decades.

For the record, a query is not an argument.
I don't have mother issues, I simply used that conversation to illustrate a point. Irrational fear of Sharia law is what's leading people who are afraid to use the Constitution as toilet paper. The way to deal with irrational fear is to rationally rebut the fear. To employ logic and facts.

The facts clearly show that there is no reason, whatsoever, to fear that Sharia law will be imposed by our government on the citizens of the United States.

The facts clearly show that Sharia law has not been imposed by their government on the citizens of Great Britain.

Do some Muslims break the laws of the United States or of England? Yes. And they are subject to the penalties for breaking those laws, regardless of their religion.

Facts, not fear.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So what? That is your battle cry? LOL.

Let Sharia courts dictate marriage in the US. That's ok with you? Forced marriag to minors fine with you? I pray you don't have a daughter. Feed the crocodile my friend and maybe you will last a while.
Sharia courts, wherever they are, comply with the laws of the country where they operate. If a Sharia court were operating in the United States, it would operate according to the laws of the United States. Since the laws of the United States don't allow forced marriage to minors, the Sharia court could not allow that either.

Facts, not fear.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
I don't have mother issues, I simply used that conversation to illustrate a point. Irrational fear of Sharia law is what's leading people who are afraid to use the Constitution as toilet paper. The way to deal with irrational fear is to rationally rebut the fear. To employ logic and facts.

The facts clearly show that there is no reason, whatsoever, to fear that Sharia law will be imposed by our government on the citizens of the United States.

The facts clearly show that Sharia law has not been imposed by their government on the citizens of Great Britain.

Do some Muslims break the laws of the United States or of England? Yes. And they are subject to the penalties for breaking those laws, regardless of their religion.

Facts, not fear.
While I hate to use a logical fallacy, according to history and current events, the slippery slope argument would appear to be quite valid; the exception that proves the rule as-it-were. That you refuse to accept that and instead choose to adhere to the blind faith that it will never happen here is of course your choice as this is for the time being a somewhat free country.

I submit that you are quite naive and idealistic if you believe it's fear that drives leaders to abuse the constitution. It's money my friend that drives them, not fear.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
While I hate to use a logical fallacy, according to history and current events, the slippery slope argument would appear to be quite valid; the exception that proves the rule as-it-were. That you refuse to accept that and instead choose to adhere to the blind faith that it will never happen here is of course your choice as this is for the time being a somewhat free country.

I submit that you are quite naive and idealistic if you believe it's fear that drives leaders to abuse the constitution. It's money my friend that drives them, not fear.
It's not blind faith. It's a reliance on facts and logic. As opposed to the blind fear that you are advocating.

And by the way, "So what?" is not just a query, it's an argumentative challenge. Not that I expect the fearful people to actually rise to the challenge. Because logic and facts don't matter, only their fear matters. Irrational fear.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Sharia courts, wherever they are, comply with the laws of the country where they operate. If a Sharia court were operating in the United States, it would operate according to the laws of the United States. Since the laws of the United States don't allow forced marriage to minors, the Sharia court could not allow that either.

Facts, not fear.

Keep believing that. Our own president doesn't enfore laws passed by congress which is his constitutional duty. Like I said feed the crocodile. Facts and reality are two different animals. If you don't think so maybe look outside at reality once in a while.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Keep believing that. Our own president doesn't enfore laws passed by congress which is his constitutional duty. Like I said feed the crocodile. Facts and reality are two different animals. If you don't think so maybe look outside at reality once in a while.
I'm sorry, perhaps instead of making personal comments, you might actually focus on the argument.

Sharia courts operating in whatever country, abide by the laws of the country in which they are operating. Do you have a rebuttal? I didn't think so. No factual rebuttal. No "reality" rebuttal.

Maybe you should pull your head out of wherever it's been hiding.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It's not blind faith. It's a reliance on facts and logic. As opposed to the blind fear that you are advocating.

And by the way, "So what?" is not just a query, it's an argumentative challenge. Not that I expect the fearful people to actually rise to the challenge. Because logic and facts don't matter, only their fear matters. Irrational fear.
You're in such a religious fervor you're confused on who you're arguing with. Please point out exactly where I said "So What?"

Old 10-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
You're in such a religious fervor you're confused on who you're arguing with. Please point out exactly where I said "So What?"
You are the one who's confused and not keeping up with your own remarks.

I said "So what?" in one of my posts, you remarked in reply that a query is not an argument. I simply pointed out to you that it was not an argument, it was an argumentative device intended to challenge the relevance of your remarks in a previous post.

And please don't make unfounded personal remarks about "religious fervor". If there is one thing I am not subject to, it would be "religious fervor".

Again,

Fear of Sharia law gaining a foothold in the American government is unfounded.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You are the one who's confused and not keeping up with your own remarks.

I said "So what?" in one of my posts, you remarked in reply that a query is not an argument. I simply pointed out to you that it was not an argument, it was an argumentative device intended to challenge the relevance of your remarks in a previous post.

And please don't make unfounded personal remarks about "religious fervor". If there is one thing I am not subject to, it would be "religious fervor".

Again,

Fear of Sharia law gaining a foothold in the American government is unfounded.
Oh please. You totally screwed up and now you're trying to cop out of it. YOU, yes YOU claimed my question was part of a debate and then went off on a tangent. Save it. You've discredited yourself admirably and I see no reason to bother with you further. If it'll make you feel better, go ahead and get the last word in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies