Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times

Advertisements

they have always been able to shape the new anyway they want. Its just i teh past there were just htree doig the shaping on Tv and they all agreed.Now what you get is many views of the same event. that was commo in newpapers in the past also when there were many. It was well know who where the democratic and repub;lican leanig ones and of the survivors its still known.The difference todeay is you here directly form the people.This country has always been devided look at results from election and old headlines.It has also been a coutry where the majority do not even bother to vote.So the vocal just think they represent "the people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
You can find anything anywhere......... that's not the problem. Folks will not spend their lives hunting for the truth and trying to discern what is and isn't.

The problem is, major media. The stuff that everybody sees. Because after all, we're a democracy. We vote for politicians. I'll say that again a different way. Our politicians are put in office by a consensus of opinion.

Major media, controls that.
Major media does not control me.

If people are as you say, lazy, then whose fault is that? Personally, I cannot take anyone seriously who gets their info soley from Fox or MSNBC. Those are not news outlets, they are low brow entertainment outlets.

As someone mentioned, many used to watch ole Uncle Walter (Cronkite). I remember him and he was a very smart, dapper fella. But was that not giving one person an inordinate amount of power and influence?

There are numerous options out there. Despite leaning right, I like to watch the PBS News Hour. Its calm, non-histrionic, and they always have people from both sides to make their case, sans shouting.

People are not controlled unless they allow it. And despite this claim of evil corporate influence, I notice it did not prevent an intelligent and affable, but blatantly inexperienced black man to come out of nowhere and win the White House.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM

858 posts, read 707,336 times
I don't know about making a law for it but Yes, I do believe the media should be unbiased and present both points of view. I think what some channels do, especially Fox News, does not help this country. We need informed voters and informed citizens. For a 'News' channel to only present one side and not accurately present the facts is just wrong. I think that's part of the reason why Washington is the way it is now. Everyone is groomed to think that everything the other party does is completely wrong and there's no way I can ever ever ever even remotely meet in the middle with them.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Hmm, I don't know. I must think about it.

I will say that, back in my youth, we certainly got our news from 'big corporations', which is what CBS, NBC and ABC were considered. However, the news section of each company (both radio and TV) prided itself on being 'independent' of the parent corporation (which is why so many people trusted people like Walter Cronkite, Frank Reynolds, Huntley and Brinkley, etc).

I used to read the Wall Street Journal. Back in the day, it was literally a "Wall Street" paper, and focused almost exclusively on business matters, with the odd 'news piece' and editorial concerning politics, etc, thrown in.

However, after Mr. Murdoch's News Corporation bought a controlling interest, the paper changed, and now has more mainstream news and a slant towards the right. It is not the same as it was, and I quit reading it a year or so ago.

I miss the days when most major cities had competing newspapers, all privately owned, with morning and evening deliveries.

Yet, in some ways, the 'press' is as free as it ever was. Thanks to the Internet revolution, you have a lot more choices. Maybe the vast array of choices is why so many outlets are choosing to focus on a target audience, rather than strive to be utterly 'non-partisan' in delivering 'news'.

I believe the UK has some type of law you are suggesting. I wonder how it works. Part of the problem would be defining 'conflict of interest', I suppose.
good to hear from some1 who recalls the days or real news, and not when CNN and HLN and Fox (as well as all except linktv) arent bought and paid for by JPMorgan Chase and others....American "news" is now info-tainment, dumbing down to the ultimate.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Default Bad Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We need more government owned media to counteract the corrosive effect of private media with a corporate agenda. We could start with full government funding of NPR and NPTV to provide completely unbiased reporting and editing.
Done in Cuba, Russia, China and much of the Middle East. I don't think we need that in America more than we have it with NPR.

Just separate news from opinion IMO.

Report the news straight forward and then have all the comment shows you like. But deal with the news straight IMO.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

If people are as you say, lazy, then whose fault is that? Personally, I cannot take anyone seriously who gets their info soley from Fox or MSNBC. Those are not news outlets, they are low brow entertainment outlets.

As someone mentioned, many used to watch ole Uncle Walter (Cronkite). I remember him and he was a very smart, dapper fella. But was that not giving one person an inordinate amount of power and influence?

There are numerous options out there. Despite leaning right, I like to watch the PBS News Hour. Its calm, non-histrionic, and they always have people from both sides to make their case, sans shouting.

People are not controlled unless they allow it. And despite this claim of evil corporate influence, I notice it did not prevent an intelligent and affable, but blatantly inexperienced black man to come out of nowhere and win the White House.
Or incredible corrupt tandem put this country in total confusion for 8 years

Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Here is a perfect example of the corruption of the media. When 60 mihnutes exposed Bush's questionable military service heads rolled! Many people still do not know the truth, and let the truth be told he did not serve his country favorably. Instead of investigating the matter further it was covered up and folks were fired from 60 minutes. If he had been exposed, he would not have served a second term and would have been (possibly) impeached for AWOL and or desertion

Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Here is a perfect example of the corruption of the media. When 60 mihnutes exposed Bush's questionable military service heads rolled! Many people still do not know the truth, and let the truth be told he did not serve his country favorably. Instead of investigating the matter further it was covered up and folks were fired from 60 minutes. If he had been exposed, he would not have served a second term and would have been (possibly) impeached for AWOL and or desertion
Might that have something to do with the fact that CBS utilized forged documents?

Seems you do not so much have a problem with the media as you do with people disagreeing with you.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:35 AM

1,147 posts, read 908,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

You're thinking in terms of you. I'm thinking in terms of what affects me....... and you. It doesn't matter who is lazy, and who isn't.

What matters is that major media is poised to create undue influence and it needs to be regulated. We have to dwell in reality.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM

529 posts, read 363,629 times
Yes it should. First thing I would do as a dictator would be to destroy the media empires who control America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies