U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM

19,760 posts, read 14,174,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
"Redistrubution doesn't work."

Denmark

Highest taxes in the World.
Biggest goverment in relation to GDP in the World
Has one of the most progressive tax system in the World
Has one of the smallest gaps between rich and poor in the World

Also the happiest country in the World
One of the least corrupt countries in the World
A higher standard of living than the USA
Most press freedoms in the World
Most educated, universal health care, wonderful vacation/retirement benefits.

"Redistribution doesn't work"......LOL

How long are white middle class voters going to fall for this right wing propaganda that income inequality is a good thing?
You lied by omission when you failed to inform people that the population is only 5.5 Million and that they have an homogenous society (as opposed to an heterogeneous society like the US), ie Denmark is a nation-State (which is why they accepted fascism).

You also failed to mention that your Danish Liberal Utopia is viewed by many as one of the most racist countries on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
The best solution is to focus on job creation and for people to realize that over time, in a global economy that they have to pick their trade wisely.

I don't think that foucsing just on income inequality will help...there is plenty of dollars to go around, there is more of mismatch in skills to jobs, too much Govt. regulation, to litle consumer confidence, and competitors in many areas outside the US...So focus on acquiring a skill that is less likely to be outsourced..
A wasted effort.

You cannot create jobs. You're saying that people need to pick their trade wisely, and I would not disagree with that. I believe that is the best hope for success for future generations of Americans.

However, there is no way to foster that kind of attitude, because to do so realistically, within the financial means of the US (and its States) at the present and for the next decade or two would require extreme "tooling" for lack of a better word.

You would have no choice but to adopt the European-style education system. Kids in the 8th Grade take a test, those that are college material go to this school, those that don't pass the test go to another school, and then 2 years later test those kids that were college material, and the ones who pass go to college; the rest don't.

At age 16, for those kids who aren't college material, test them for aptitudes, those who have potential send them to vocational school, and the rest, send them home for good and tell them on the way home if they see something that moves, wave at it, if it doesn't move pick it up, and if they can't pick it up to paint it.

That's how the "free" education system works in the rest of the world.

If you continue on the same path, the end result will be the greatest mediocrity and massive student loan debt, to the point that you actually bar talent from getting educated.

So to avoid that, you need to create an highly competitive cut-throat environment where the best of the best goes to college, the best of the rest get skill training and those that are mediocre get to watch reality shows on TV the rest of their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
As you can see from the chart below, although productivity has gone up because hourly wages have stayed the same. I think the graph shows that Austrian economics is not going to end the income disparity.
Productivity is incorrectly calculated, just like GDP, which gives skewed results. Your GDP is growing, but your work-force isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You haven't shown a thing. How can you even compare America with a country smaller than most of our metropolitan areas and a vastly different culture and population?
The postor does not understand "Economy of Scale."

It's the same stupid nonsense we hear all the time. "Well, Luxembourg has universal health care." Yeah, well, Luxembourg has 497,000 people.

Prove to me it will work in the US. Oh, Taxachusetts has a single payer system and it is a freaking Greek Tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've mentioned this before as far as the middle class but are people taking into account how technology has shrunked the U.S middle class? Nowadays with the advancements in computer and robotic technology companies need fewer workers to do middle class paying jobs. How do you deal with that?
Generally, the introduction of technology is at a slow enough pace that job losses are either absorbed by society or the labor is reallocated. I don't ever foresee a situation where the introduction of technology would come as such a speed as to displace a significant amount of workers and cause turmoil.

But as far as how to deal with those job losses that are permanent, you do that through education, and I don't mean education as in teaching people new skills.

You do that with a radio, television and billboard advertising blitz that says, "House-Husbands Are Cool Daddies."

You do that with TV sitcoms where the woman works while the man plays house-husband and raises the children.

You also do that with "Leave it to Beaver" and "All in the Family" style sit-coms where the woman takes care of the house while the man brings home the bacon.

I guess that isn't education as much as it is socialization, or actually counter-socialization. Anyway, two wage-earner households are a thing of the past and people need to learn to accept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
here's the overhead smash. denmark's top corporate tax rate is 10% lower than ours.
That isn't true.

A more accurate statement would be Denmark's top corporate tax rate is 10% lower than the US rate AND Denmark subsidizes its corporations.

The point is that not only do corporations in so many countries pay lower taxes, they are also subsidized by their governments, and that gives them a distinct advantage over US corporations.

To level the playing field so that US corporations have a chance to compete, both the Democrats and Republicans grant tax breaks and often subsidize select corporations, and I wouldn't personally have a problem with that, except that it is done very unfairly. Those tax breaks and subsidies should be for all US companies that are going head-to-head with foreign companies (not just those that bribe the most politicians).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I never said they were on the verge of breakdown, but they are having problems. But it's irrelevant, because America / Denmark is a ridiculously stupid comparison any way you look at it. You know it is. So stop.

The closest you'll get is the UK (and that's not even very close), and they aren't doing much better than us.
"Ridiculously stupid?" You are way too kind. It would be like comparing Boseman, Montana to New York City and then claiming that the Utopia in Boseman is superior because you can rent a double-wide trailer on 4 acres of land for just $200/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,254 posts, read 13,998,263 times
income inequality... ie the rich/poor gap

is increasing WORLD WIDE..especially in developed countries

its not a USA thing...its not a d-vs-r thing

Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

913 posts, read 748,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You also failed to mention that your Danish Liberal Utopia is viewed by many as one of the most racist countries on Earth.

that has been my experience of denmark! i've been there 3 times and i find them very xenophobic. it is very clean and well organized, but i don't know where they get that they are the happiest people on the planet. there is something quite robotic about the people. it's like switzerland and germany on ritalin

Old 10-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,254 posts, read 13,998,263 times
Quote:
"Redistrubution doesn't work."

Denmark

Has one of the smallest gaps between rich and poor in the World
and the rich poor gap has INCREASED in denmark over the last 20 years dramaticly

they may still have one of the smallest gaps...but it is INCREASING

Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
That isn't true.

A more accurate statement would be Denmark's top corporate tax rate is 10% lower than the US rate AND Denmark subsidizes its corporations.

The point is that not only do corporations in so many countries pay lower taxes, they are also subsidized by their governments, and that gives them a distinct advantage over US corporations.

To level the playing field so that US corporations have a chance to compete, both the Democrats and Republicans grant tax breaks and often subsidize select corporations, and I wouldn't personally have a problem with that, except that it is done very unfairly. Those tax breaks and subsidies should be for all US companies that are going head-to-head with foreign companies (not just those that bribe the most politicians).

there top corporate tax rate is 25%. our top corporate rate is 35%. i would agree that they subsidize their industries though

Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
The postor does not understand "Economy of Scale."

It's the same stupid nonsense we hear all the time. "Well, Luxembourg has universal health care." Yeah, well, Luxembourg has 497,000 people.

Prove to me it will work in the US. Oh, Taxachusetts has a single payer system and it is a freaking Greek Tragedy.

and you don't understand stupidity. it doesn't work in mass. so obviously it will work if we roll it out across the country!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:35 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,977,973 times
Quote:
I would love to but you need a visa that costs about 1 Million Dollars. Believe me, I've looked into it.

There's our solution.

One million dollars times 10 million undocumented immigrants =

10 Trillion Dollars

Old 10-20-2011, 04:00 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,140,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
and you don't understand stupidity. it doesn't work in mass. so obviously it will work if we roll it out across the country!
It's even worse than that. Mass is damn near the closest thing to Europe in the US. If it doesn't even work there, how the hell is it going to work everywhere else?

Denmark. Lol.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:01 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,557,827 times
Herman Cains 9/9/9 Plan fixes all this Unfair Taxing people crap.
Also there is no loopholes or credits in his system
Raise taxes on the rich Liberals guess what? The rich will find more Loopholes like they always do.
Herman Cain 2012.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,370,071 times
Gee, I guess the only "fair" thing to do is nationalize the banks, have the government take all the savings and divide it up evenly and send a check to all Americans.

Isn't that what you want ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies