Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

I've created a username in several different online political forums over the past few years, and what i've experienced is that hardly any of those forums offer a wide array of viewpoints. Either they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise liberals, or they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise conservatives. Very rarely is there a relatively equal share of viewpoints to promote good debate.

In fact, I joined one forum that was vehemently liberal and was banned 3 seperate times for offering conservative views. Keep in mind, this forum didn't "advertise" that it was a liberal haven...it quite simply had become a liberal fortress and the members had no desire whatsoever to entertain conservative viewpoints. Three usernames, three seperate bans. All for being a conservative.

With that being said, the C-D Political Forum is actually a fairly decent place to discuss current political events. At least from my experience.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've created a username in several different online political forums over the past few years, and what i've experienced is that hardly any of those forums offer a wide array of viewpoints. Either they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise liberals, or they are commandeered by uninformed/no compromise conservatives. Very rarely is there a relatively equal share of viewpoints to promote good debate.

In fact, I joined one forum that was vehemently liberal and was banned 3 seperate times for offering conservative views. Keep in mind, this forum didn't "advertise" that it was a liberal haven...it quite simply had become a liberal fortress and the members had no desire whatsoever to entertain conservative viewpoints. Three usernames, three seperate bans. All for being a conservative.

With that being said, the C-D Political Forum is actually a fairly decent place to discuss current political events. At least from my experience.

What say you?
Are you kidding?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Are you kidding?
No, i'm not kidding at all, as outlined in my experiences in the OP.

Where do you go to debate that offers a fairly equal set of viewpoints, thus promoting good back and forth?

I never said this forum was perfect. In fact, many contributors are woefully lacking in knowledge. But on the whole, it doesn't necessarily trend one political direction or the other. Although I have stated several times that I wish there were better informed Liberals to debate with, and I still believe this. But it's not horrible. I just avoid contributing when there's nothing relevant for me to chip in.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
No, i'm not kidding at all, as outlined in my experiences in the OP.

Where do you go to debate that offers a fairly equal set of viewpoints, thus promoting good back and forth?
If by debating you mean that liberals call conservative on here Nazis and conservatives on here call liberals Communists, then yes, there is plenty of that. Throw in personal attacks and childish name calling and you have 90% of the posts on here. The debates almost always devolve into personal issues or who can come up with the most clever put down. This is evidenced by the number of "gotta rep you" responses person put downs get.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
I wish there were better informed and polite conservatives to debate with here. So what site banned you three times under 3 different users for being conservative? You do know that most online forums ban people for creating multiple usernames. They can usually match the ips.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Are you kidding?
No, he's not. I find people here are less blind and shut minded to the views of others, compared to other forums I've visited.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
If by debating you mean that liberals call conservative on here Nazis and conservatives on here call liberals Communists, then yes, there is plenty of that. Throw in personal attacks and childish name calling and you have 90% of the posts on here. The debates almost always devolve into personal issues or who can come up with the most clever put down. This is evidenced by the number of "gotta rep you" responses person put downs get.
Well he did say comparatively.

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:

What say you?
I agree. That is why I have stayed here, although I do not visit as much as I used to (mainly due to work and family duties). We do get some interesting discussions here, if one is willing to overlook those who only wish to scream idiocies.

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
I agree to a point, however I wish that people would have to prove that their links are legit before posting them.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:27 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
I disagree with the OP, this forum leans heavily to the right, reminds me of Freeprs lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies