Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 08:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

How does this screw legal residents specifically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:13 PM

373 posts, read 635,277 times
Default Right out of the Marxist Playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
http://www.klfy.com/story/15717759/second-hand-dealer-law

What's next?

Just another way to screw legal americans.
Right out of the Marxist playbook, It could really harm working families who just want a good honest deal on legit merchandise.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-22-2011 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 10-22-2011, 12:51 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
How does this screw legal residents specifically?
Why would you even ask this question, it's obvious.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:02 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Hardy says, "they give a check or a cashiers money order, or electronic one of those three mechanisms is used."

Man, my former copy editing skills in advertising are going all a quiver. Cajan stupidity? What am be the problem wif dos Louisiana's English speakin' skills?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
The Federal Reserve Note is either legal tender; or, it is not. If a state is not issuing its own currency via gold/silver, etc... it cannot pick and choose in which transactions the Federal Reserve Note is considered legal tender.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I thought this was a joke when I first read it. The great state of Louisiana has signed a bill into law that makes it illegal to use cash to purchase used goods. You can write a check, use a credit/debit card, or a money order, but no cash. The reason for the bill was to fight the sale of stolen property--the sales have to have some kind of record. You also have to collect the buyers name, address, license plate number, drivers license number, etc. and submit a detailed description of the item. There is no minimum sale amount--every sale has to be recorded. Here's the kicker though--the bill exempts pawn shops--the number one destination for stolen property--from the law.

Louisiana Makes It Illegal To Use Cash To Buy Used Goods

Who has to follow this really stupid piece of legislation? Thrift stores, garage sales, flea markets, craigs list, antique stores...the list goes on. Before you jump to conclusions, the bill was sponsored by a coalition of 6 D's and 9 R's, and signed into law by Governor Bobby Jindal.

Beyond the fact that I think it's none of the state's business if I buy a used blender at a garage sale, what do they think this will do to small business and poor people? I spend cash all the time at flea markets--most venders do cash only because of bad checks, and it's expensive for them to run credit card machines. Who wants to take checks for a dollar at a garage sale? What if (like many struggling Americans) you don't have a debit card or checking account? With the economy becoming worse by the day, more and more Americans are shopping cash only, and using thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales to buy basic goods and to keep their families clothed.

This is why I'm starting to have zero faith in government. Does ANYONE in public office have an ounce of common sense? We need to make big changes in this country, and we need to make them quickly. This is CRAZY.
Ahh, Weeziana!

What did you expect from a state that allows stores to serve MIXED DRINKS from a DRIVE-UP window??

Really. That state is the colon of the country.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What good would that do? This law doesn't apply to how Joe Blow buys uses items be they at a garage sale, off craigslist, or at a retail outlet.
I don't think they intended for the law to do that, but they wrote it so vaguely that it does. That's the problem--they're going to have to go back and clean the whole thing up because it's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies