Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Yes.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
It has nothing to do with being a majority/minority. It has everything to do with individual rights. Nobody has the right to do something that causes another harm, if you smoke in your own home and you are the only one there, you are free to harm yourself. If you want to smoke within a few feet of me, you are now directly infringing on my individual rights and doing something that has the potential to make me seriously ill.
This is it in a nutshell.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 AM

913 posts, read 872,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
This is it in a nutshell.

i don't like the fumes from your car. they're causing an upsurge in asthma, not to mention the carcinogens. i don't think you should be allowed to fly either. or use electricity. oh, when you are sick you should be locked down in quarantine too

Old 11-30-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think smoking is maligned unfairly. It's the current evil of society. I wish people wouldn't be so hypocritical about cigarette smoke & their own health.
Nothing to be hypocritical about. Cigarette smoke is healthy for no one. Not the smoker and definitely not the people unfairly subjected to secondhand smoke.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i don't like the fumes from your car. they're causing an upsurge in asthma, not to mention the carcinogens. i don't think you should be allowed to fly either. or use electricity. oh, when you are sick you should be locked down in quarantine too
You don't know whether or not my car has fumes; indeed, you don't know whether or not I even have a car. But I KNOW that if you smoke, you are endangering my life AND yours. Go ahead and kill yourself. Just don't kill me while you're at it. Your "logic" fails miserably.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
for the guy i ask to extinguish his cirgarette on the trolley-- its a clear case of discrimination.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Last I checked, people are still allowed to buy tobacco, and smoke it on their property and the privacy of their own homes. That's alot more I can say for people who smoke cannabis.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 AM

386 posts, read 232,454 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with being a majority/minority. It has everything to do with individual rights. Nobody has the right to do something that causes another harm, if you smoke in your own home and you are the only one there, you are free to harm yourself. If you want to smoke within a few feet of me, you are now directly infringing on my individual rights and doing something that has the potential to make me seriously ill.
Thank you for stating the case succinctly and accurately. However, the rights of non-smokers, and the violation thereof, is of little concern to the overwhelming majority of smokers, who care only about stoking their addiction.

I've heard people assert that there are a few smokers who are "considerate", but in nearly 60 years on this planet, I have yet to come across one. Perhaps it is just an Urban Legend.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
This is the kind of thinking that is going to lead to bans on campfires, bonfires, firepits and wood burning fireplaces.

And, since I don't indulge in any of the above.....I will vote for them to be banned if given the chance.

See how that works?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 AM

913 posts, read 872,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You don't know whether or not my car has fumes; indeed, you don't know whether or not I even have a car. But I KNOW that if you smoke, you are endangering my life AND yours. Go ahead and kill yourself. Just don't kill me while you're at it. Your "logic" fails miserably.
just because your car doesn't have fumes (electric car) doesn't mean they aren't there. the coal fired plant which provides energy for your car or your computer for that matter gave of gases which health hysterics claim cause cancer and asthma, heart disease etc.

oh but i'm sure your pc is powered by wind and solar. me wonders where they got the energy to mine the silica, process it, manufacture the solar panels and transport them to your a55 on the other side of the planet. none of that process gave of carcinogens, did it.

and no, i don't smoke actually, i just understand that when a govt oversteps its authority and starts telling people to stop doing things i don't like, it's only a matter of time until that monster, of my creation, comes after the things i do like. second hand smoke might be a bit annoying, but it isn't dangerous. get over it and get over yourself

oh, and you forgot about my suggestion on when you are sick. you should be locked down in quarantine. if you come out you should be fined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies