Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 06:39 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I was not around when he was the president, but I notice conservatives always mock him. Was he that bad of a president?

I was here when he was president and YES
he was that bad!
We had huge gas lines and an horrible mess, we could only buy gas on
even/ odd days and the prices sky rocked from what we used to pay which was
maybe 35 cents a gallon!! I remeember when it went to a dollar!
we had a huge independent truckers strike that was violent, my husband worked
for a truck stop company and it was dangerous for him to just go to work!!
our hostages were taken in IRAN and Carter totally screwed that up as well
we had high inflation and we all hurt along with huge unemployment!
Regan got a hell of a mess when he came in, BUT, he did not ***** about Carter
he cleaned it up!
Jimmy Carter was the worse president, but OBAMA has him beat by a land slide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
In all fairness, you cannot hold a President responsible for spending. As bad as Carter was, it was the Democrat controlled Congress that was responsible for all spending, not Carter.

The National Debt went up 23% while Carter was President, but he also had a Democrat controlled House and Senate that not only gutted the military, as you said, but also massively increased social spending. While Democrats controlled the House, MediCare/MedicAid spending increased by over 400%.

I do not blame any President, not even Obama, for the out of control deficit spending. I blame those who are constitutionally responsible for all federal spending - primarily the House, but also the Senate.
the president has a little tool called
veto~
when did Carter ever use this with spending??
I blame Obama for exactly how in debt we are
he has been giddy in spending our money WE DO NOT HAVE and is still doing it!
Look at his failure with the BILLIONS he is throwing away in his stupid GREEN JOBS!!
GOOD GRIEF!!
HE is the worse HACK we have ever had!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
True, it was a fiasco, I was in the Marine Corps at the time. Other than the Navy, we did not train with the Army or Air Force. The Marines had their own "Air Force" (MCAS) and we trained with them.

I got out of the military in May 1980 after 8 years, just one month after that screwed-up rescue attempt, and before Reagan won. To this day I wonder what it would have been like if I had stayed. I could have retired in 1992, before Clinton was elected President.
Let me say, THANK YOU for your service!!
georgia dem

Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
three things set carter apart as a very poor president:

1. The soviet grain embargo. Instead of using other tools of diplomacy, carter chose to punish america's farmers in a misguided attempt to teach the russians a lesson. Russia simply bought from others in the world market; the us was screwed.

2. Cancelling us involvement in the olympics. Again, thrash a group of americans to make a point to a country that was not about to pay attention anyway.

3. The "malaise" speech (which interestingly never used the word "malaise") in which he outlined a pessimistic vision of a reduced america.

Carter's presidency should have taught us that good intentions as a foundation for terrible policies is no way to govern. Hopefully we'll remember that in november 2012.

amen!!

Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Carter was a very good man, which is precisely why he made such a poor president.

More than Truman? I don't remember many countries falling to communism in the late 70s besides Afghanistan.
"Very good men" don't defend murderous regimes.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
I was not around when he was the president, but I notice conservatives always mock him. Was he that bad of a president?
We would obviously need a qualified, objective historian to answer that question as so far it is mostly the same right-wing mob bashing him here that spends half their lives on CD bashing Obama...

In my view Carter was too good a person to be president of a country like the US. He was faced with much of the mess his predecessors had created with their imperialist politics.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
He was a victim of the hostage crisis . . .he was an amazing man . . .of the highest character . . . he was perceived as being weak . . .and that was an erroneous perception borne of frustration over the hostage crisis . . .

He was hated by the people who always hate what's good.
Saying it in purple doesn't change the facts - men of highest character DO NOT meet with leaders of terrorist organizations.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Yup, he was the worst in my lifetime...except he wasn't trying to change America so ask again the day after election day 2012.

We had to line up for gasoline every other day based on odd or even license plate numbers. The lines went around blocks. Some people pushed their cars to the pumps.

No Olympics at his order.

The hostage crisis and failed rescue.

He treated people who worked for him like cr*p but since that is third hand knowledge, you don't have to include it, but you can read what the Secret Service agents had to say about him, what the pilot of air force one had to say about him, what the people who drove him around had to say about him, what the white house staff had to say about him. Too many people who worked for him say it and say he was a phony. He's usually compared unfavorably to Bill Clinton who was popular and friendly with staff so it's not a GOP/Dem thing.

Established the Department of Education. Have kids test scores improved compared to other countries since we've had this money drainer of a department?

Gave away the Panama Canal

Was the person responsible for the rise of radical Islam in Iran when he decided not to stick up for the Shah (friendly to Israel, ally of America, Iranians had personal freedoms and a decent life) and he had to go. The shah wasn't all cream cheese and jelly but Iran was nothing like the place it is now. They said the Shah treated soviet prisoners badly. Those same prisoners Carter was whining about were shot and killed when the militants took over.

Ended the Russian wheat deal and hurt American farmers badly. Some people say it started the decline in Agriculture in America.

No accolades for Mr Carter as an ex-president, either.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Saying it in purple doesn't change the facts - men of highest character DO NOT meet with leaders of terrorist organizations.
That's nonsense. Actually, I think there would be much fewer problems if people met and talked more in person.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We would obviously need a qualified, objective historian to answer that question as so far it is mostly the same right-wing mob bashing him here that spends half their lives on CD bashing Obama...

In my view Carter was too good a person to be president of a country like the US. He was faced with much of the mess his predecessors had created with their imperialist politics.
He was faced with a mess? Maybe. But Reagan was faced with a mess made worse, because of Carter, yet he soared. Not much of an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies