U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: The Twilight Zone
773 posts, read 411,460 times
Reputation: 363

Advertisements

So, there is a thread talking about how posters can't seem to deal with policy and fact regarding Obama. The liberals claim the righties have tin foil hats and the conservatives say the lefties start name calling and insulting.

So here is the chance for BOTH sides to have a fact based policy discussions about Obama.

What are your thoughts on Obama's policies to date as POTUS?

I will start with one.

I do not like Obama's policy of drone usage to assassinate individuals, without their chance at a fair trial. I think it is one thing to kill someone in a time of war when they are directly trying to kill you at that moment. I think it is a completely different story when America sends a drone in to assassinate someone and who knows how many possibly innocent people near that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,591,960 times
Reputation: 5919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
So, there is a thread talking about how posters can't seem to deal with policy and fact regarding Obama. The liberals claim the righties have tin foil hats and the conservatives say the lefties start name calling and insulting.

So here is the chance for BOTH sides to have a fact based policy discussions about Obama.

What are your thoughts on Obama's policies to date as POTUS?

I will start with one.

I do not like Obama's policy of drone usage to assassinate individuals, without their chance at a fair trial. I think it is one thing to kill someone in a time of war when they are directly trying to kill you at that moment. I think it is a completely different story when America sends a drone in to assassinate someone and who knows how many possibly innocent people near that person.
Am not real keen on drones either, but anonymous hi-technology seems to be where warfare is headed anyway. And what's the alternative when dealing with hostile operatives without any 'flag' (aka "terrorists")... either let 'em go or else send in a bunch of troops, planes and assorted (messy) firepower, into an otherwise sovereign nation (and then try to get them back out again)? There's just no easy answer in an age of increasing "asymetrical warfare".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 780,805 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
So, there is a thread talking about how posters can't seem to deal with policy and fact regarding Obama. The liberals claim the righties have tin foil hats and the conservatives say the lefties start name calling and insulting.

So here is the chance for BOTH sides to have a fact based policy discussions about Obama.

What are your thoughts on Obama's policies to date as POTUS?

I will start with one.

I do not like Obama's policy of drone usage to assassinate individuals, without their chance at a fair trial. I think it is one thing to kill someone in a time of war when they are directly trying to kill you at that moment. I think it is a completely different story when America sends a drone in to assassinate someone and who knows how many possibly innocent people near that person.
Ok, so admittedly I haven't been paying attention to the mistake since he handed money over to the banks with no pre-conditions. (like hiring AMERICANS) I've pretty much known since then that he was either corrupt or incompetent.

That being said, and maybe I've been asleep, but what has Obama done to curb the offshoring of American jobs with regard to penalizing corporations and/or creating incentives for them to employ Americans?

He may have in fact done something, and I just missed it because I was watching the Kardashians instead. Whatever it was, IF it was, it doesn't seem to be having the "desired" effect.

Regardless, I'd still like someone to point to something positive in this area. Because this, in my opinion, is the whole ball game with regard to the US economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: The Twilight Zone
773 posts, read 411,460 times
Reputation: 363
Implementing yet another mortgage bailout program as he is about to do is yet another policy I disagree with. Let's see now. Freddie and Fannie are already messed up and a big part of the financial crisis, yet we are going to double down on them again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,638,983 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post

That being said, and maybe I've been asleep, but what has Obama done to curb the offshoring of American jobs with regard to penalizing corporations and/or creating incentives for them to employ Americans?
There's been talk of minor things like payroll tax holidays and whatnot but that won't really affect hiring compared to things that increase aggregate consumer demand. The most effective means of accomplishing that is literally putting money in people's hands, but it's welfare and that's a no-no.

Obama believes wholesale in neoliberal free trade policies so I wouldn't expect any sort of protectionist measures to come from the White House. It's actually an issue that some of the more old school tea party and progressive Democrats agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,859,138 times
Reputation: 9383
Barack Obama forged a backroom deal with Jimmy Tauzin and Big Pharma to forbid the government from negotiating prescription drug prices in order to gain their support for Obamacare. This essentially told Big Pharma that taxpayers will pay any cost for prescription drugs at the expense of passing healthcare reform. I never forgave Bush when he did the same thing for Medicare Part D, and i'll never forgive Barack Obama for it, either.

It's a policy that has absolutely nothing to do with protecting taxpayer funds while single-handedly enriching Big Pharma. It's disgusting. And it's real. Barack Lovers just choose to turn their heads in ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,202 posts, read 18,261,876 times
Reputation: 8032
Signed into law the two largest tax increases in U.S. history within a month of being sworn in.

'Nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
 
3,271 posts, read 2,638,983 times
Reputation: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Barack Obama forged a backroom deal with Jimmy Tauzin and Big Pharma to forbid the government from negotiating prescription drug prices in order to gain their support for Obamacare. This essentially told Big Pharma that taxpayers will pay any cost for prescription drugs at the expense of passing healthcare reform. I never forgave Bush when he did the same thing for Medicare Part D, and i'll never forgive Barack Obama for it, either.

It's a policy that has absolutely nothing to do with protecting taxpayer funds while single-handedly enriching Big Pharma. It's disgusting. And it's real. Barack Lovers just choose to turn their heads in ignorance.
And the best part is PhRMA still went and raised a bajillion dollars for Republicans in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: St. Joseph Area
6,237 posts, read 8,466,155 times
Reputation: 3101
I've only read a couple of posts here, but want to say kudos to Heritage Member for starting this thread. It really cuts through all the BS that we see on the forum, and I hope that we can have a serious and engaging discussion here. May it get at least 300 posts!

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
 
Location: The Twilight Zone
773 posts, read 411,460 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've only read a couple of posts here, but want to say kudos to Heritage Member for starting this thread. It really cuts through all the BS that we see on the forum, and I hope that we can have a serious and engaging discussion here. May it get at least 300 posts!

mackinac
Thanks. I hope so. I already learned something here that I did not know about Pharma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top