Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 PM

1,147 posts, read 907,060 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you, but really, I think that the time has come.

We need to get rid of all these special interest groups based on race, religion, and country of origin. Affirmative action is a bald-faced joke, for one. The rest of these ethnic groups looking for a leg up should get a foot instead......... right in the arse.

Right about now, in 2011, I'd have to say the playing field has been leveled. Sure, there are plenty who will not hire some, based on their race. .......but then again, that's universal. Black owned businesses tend to hire more blacks, Hispanic owned businesses hire more Hispanics, and sorry, but I have yet to see an Asian small business that hires anyone but Asians. Those business owners or corporations led by folks of European descent in fact tend to be the most impartial.

So why do we still have this crap? Why aren't we outlawing these types of groups, and doing away with the legislation?

I don't know about you, but, uh, we have a black president. As far as achieving diversity goes, I say mission accomplished. Let's get rid of affirmative action, and anything else like it. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,410,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I don't know about you, but really, I think that the time has come.

We need to get rid of all these special interest groups based on race, religion, and country of origin. Affirmative action is a bald-faced joke, for one. The rest of these ethnic groups looking for a leg up should get a foot instead......... right in the arse.

Right about now, in 2011, I'd have to say the playing field has been leveled. Sure, there are plenty who will not hire some, based on their race. .......but then again, that's universal. Black owned businesses tend to hire more blacks, Hispanic owned businesses hire more Hispanics, and sorry, but I have yet to see an Asian small business that hires anyone but Asians. Those business owners or corporations led by folks of European descent in fact tend to be the most impartial.

So why do we still have this crap? Why aren't we outlawing these types of groups, and doing away with the legislation?

I don't know about you, but, uh, we have a black president. As far as achieving diversity goes, I say mission accomplished. Let's get rid of affirmative action, and anything else like it. Thoughts?
I agree. If things were being done the way the Founding Fathers wanted it, it would be Even Steven across the board. What is fair is fair. Everyone has the SAME INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. No special deals for certain ethnic groups or certain industries would have ever happened.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 PM

11,167 posts, read 10,937,935 times
Quote:
For the same reason that it is totally acceptable to have a spanish club, asian club, black student union, and any other pro minority club at a high school in this country, yet it would be unacceptable to have a white student union or aryan club.

Oh wait.... I'd better shuffle back off to Stormfront.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,178,250 times
Quote:
So which one is it? Is the playing field leveled with the occasional racist employer or are there many racists employers who are Black, Hispanic and Asian?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,849,054 times
Quote:
You don't really mean outlaw private groups do you? I'd just remove any mention of race from any government document anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
For the same reason that it is totally acceptable to have a spanish club, asian club, black student union, and any other pro minority club at a high school in this country, yet it would be unacceptable to have a white student union or aryan club.
Go back to stormfront.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
So which one is it? Is the playing field leveled with the occasional racist employer or are there many racists employers who are Black, Hispanic and Asian?
There are plenty of racist employers. The problem is, none of them are white. So these special interest groups and legislation are ineffective, except when it comes to white owned or white run businesses. That in itself is unfair.

No, we don't need to expand the enforcement. We need to get rid of it.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I agree. If things were being done the way the Founding Fathers wanted it, it would be Even Steven across the board. What is fair is fair. Everyone has the SAME INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. No special deals for certain ethnic groups or certain industries would have ever happened.
Except it was NEVER that way. Even when the Founding Fathers were still alive.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM

488 posts, read 553,247 times
Quote:
Probably because there are people alive today that were victims of segregation and the racism that continued for too long despite the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Saying "get over it" doesn't make up for their experiences, and saying the playing field has been leveled doesn't make it so. They were put at a great disadvantage and are still trying catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Unless you were a slave, that is. And forget about voting if you weren't a white property owner. Totally fair

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Except it was NEVER that way. Even when the Founding Fathers were still alive.
It is now. Because business is driven by greed these days. Nobody cares what color you are, or what religion you are. The only things the folks doing the hiring care about is your ability, and your willingness to work cheap at the same time.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,201,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
Probably because there are people alive today that were victims of segregation and the racism that continued for too long despite the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Saying "get over it" doesn't make up for their experiences, and saying the playing field has been leveled doesn't make it so. They were put at a great disadvantage and are still trying catch up.
Exactly.

It's like throwing a stone into a lake. Sure, the first splash is usually the biggest, but the ripples often last longer than the initial dunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies