Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM

156 posts, read 150,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
In many ways, the US is a bilingual country. Time to adapt, or be left behind. I forgot what the figure was, but a working command of Spanish and English has a positive effect on income potential.
I love the old learn another language people. I notice that it is ok for the idiot bi*** who is in the country to not speak two languages, especially since our country is an English speaking country but it is not ok for anyone in our country to not speak Spanish. The funny thing is that so many like to talk about how monolinguyal the American public and yet, the Mexicans who come here are way more monolingual and the idiot multiculturists think that it is hunky dorry. It is not and I am sick of any immigrant, legal and especially illegal, getting preferential treatment because they are too damn lazy to learn the language of the land.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
If you only speak Spanish in the US, your experience will be pretty limited. I don't think anyone is advocating that. But then again, it depends on what your job actually is. If you are just picking strawberries with other Mexicans, learning English might not do you much good anyhow.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well the name of this state is a Spanish term "Pascua Florida' or Flowery Easter...suck it up & learn Spanish [personal attacks, flaming, or insults.]
Some of us probably speak more languages than you could ever hope to. Spanish is a wonderful language and the Mexicans speak a totally bastardized verson of the language, as we speak a bastardized version of English. But the facts are that MKLexicans are the ones who absolutely refuse to learn the language of this country, and why not, since people like you cater to their butts. I speak Spanish when I go into Mexico but I refuse to speak here in our country and that is out of protest for the preferentital treatment people like you heal on the illegals and the legal immigrants. I think you should learn to how to speak French because I said so. How do you like that?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
If the population of the US were 15% French-speakers, you might have a point. I'm just talking about plain old demographics. I'm not even getting into the normative arguments for or against multilingualism. I'm saying that as a practical matter, if you speak Spanish AND English, you'll have more chances to make more money over a lifetime. Simple as that.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
If you only speak Spanish in the US, your experience will be pretty limited. I don't think anyone is advocating that. But then again, it depends on what your job actually is. If you are just picking strawberries with other Mexicans, learning English might not do you much good anyhow.

BS!!!! Leaning English is the law of the land. To become a citizen one must learn some English. I am sick of the fact that so many in this country are catered to in their specific language. It is sickening and soon enough it will stop. You can bank on that.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
I had a horrible experience the other day when I tried to cancel my direct debit with my mortgage company. I had to repeat myself several times and even made them repeat it back to me twice to make sure on September 1 I won't have money withdrawn from my checking account. Now, I even told this girl over the phone I sold my house....what does she do? She reads from a script and asks me if I would like to refinance!!! Refi what? I had to cut her off and say 'I AM NOT INTERESTED!'. She read from that script (in bad english) for 3 minutes before I could interrupt. I am going to call back my mortgage company to confirm that my funds withdrawal is in fact cancelled.

Geesh!!! I hate being frustrated!!!
If I were you, I would go to my bank and stop the automatic withdrawal. Don't rely on a phone call to stop it!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Junkie View Post
BS!!!! Leaning English is the law of the land. To become a citizen one must learn some English. I am sick of the fact that so many in this country are catered to in their specific language. It is sickening and soon enough it will stop. You can bank on that.
I agree with you 100 percent. How do you think it will get better? Catering to them is unreal. Lowe's has Spanish and English on their signs, Penny's as well. I think that is totally ridiculous!! Americans speak English-I wish this would just be good ol America again!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:55 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,664 times
I guess I should do that...we are closing on our house so hopefully the bank will get paid before the automatic withdrawal can take place...It's a good idea. I think I will hit my local branch in the morning...they work on Saturdays!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
If I were you, I would go to my bank and stop the automatic withdrawal. Don't rely on a phone call to stop it!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,664 times
Most food products have English and Spanish labels. Why not French? Why not Italian? I would like to eventually like to learn another language, but not because I am forced to...And I disagree that if you aren't bilingual you won't get the good jobs. Most good jobs in AMERICA require English...not the other way around. Most of the jobs that state "bilingual a plus" are customer service jobs, not CEOs of a major company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I agree with you 100 percent. How do you think it will get better? Catering to them is unreal. Lowe's has Spanish and English on their signs, Penny's as well. I think that is totally ridiculous!! Americans speak English-I wish this would just be good ol America again!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
Most of the jobs that state "bilingual a plus" are customer service jobs, not CEOs of a major company.
They m ight not be CEO jobs but they are not just service jobs at all. You come on down to the southwest and you can't even get a job with the federal government unless you can speak SApanish. You can not get factory jobs without knowledge of the Spanish language. There are tons more and they are not just service jobs at all. In the southwest, either you speak Spanish or you on the government dole. PERIOD!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies