Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Maybe, just maybe, we should wait to see how these people will act before claiming they will usher in a new era of human rights into the country.
Having never claimed that the developments in middle east represents a new bright and universally glorious dawn for freedom and democracy I would have to agree with you.

But that isn't the purpose of the thread which is to simply point out the utter ridiculousness of bemoaning the intention of those living in an Islamic state to turn that state into one that is Islamic to begin with. You see over the last nine or so years I have become extreme intolerant of graduates of the Google School of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies who run off at the mouth about an area of the world that they couldn't find on a map even if you downloaded and installed Google earth on their computers before 2001.

I say this because I KNOW that I am no expert on the middle east or Islam although I have traveled to the region on several occasions yet I can defect a post that is soo far from the truth and so devoid of any facts that any serious discussion of the issue is pointless because the SOLE purpose of the discussion is to score partisan talking points.

As for the future of Libya, only the god's know its future but was putting an end to a regime that threatened to massacre thousands of people when we had the means and opportunity to prevent it worth the effort? I believe that it was.

One last note. With regard to brutality replacing brutality, I believe that violence perpetuated by a brutal oppressor breeds brutality into the oppressed and only on a rare occasion are the oppressed able to transcend the brutality that was forced upon them. When there are relatively peaceful transitions out of oppression are we able to witness the transition to peaceful and stable nascent societies. That being said, it is more than a bit arrogant on our part to chastise the oppressed of other nations who resort to brutality when they come to power if we are honest and objective about out own social evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That being said, it is more than a bit arrogant on our part to chastise the oppressed of other nations who resort to brutality when they come to power if we are honest and objective about out own social evolution.
The truth is that being exposed to brutality tends to make people brutal. Having known refugees from some of the worst regions of the world and having been friends with war veterans, that is something that is quite clear. I've known some inherently nice and even (for lack of a better word) docile people who would (or even have) done some pretty grisly things during some pretty grisly times. But there are different kinds of brutality and different extents of brutality. Something like the backlash against whites in many African nations during decolonization is for the most part understandable (although not necessarily justified) or hunting down collaborators during World War Two, something like the Khmer Rouge or Balkan rapist militias are absolutely not.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What seems difficult for some to grasp is that directly interfering in a civil war in another nation is not our business,it is their business.

But then those types are also supporters of Obama who started the war so that means they cannot and will not be critical of the actions that just a few scant years ago they vehemently opposed....

Such are the ways of political hacks.
Yes, most of these same Obama supporters who are celebrating Libya would be highly critical of the same operation if Bush was President. They know this is true.

Sometimes on these theads I get falsely accused of being pro-Iraq war...which I never was from the start. But I understand how Obama fans jump to that conclusion. They know that they will support everything Obama does and oppose everything a Republican does...so they assume since they don't have an independent mind no one else does either.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, where was your outrage? Why do you keep saying things were so great under Gadaffi?
Never did,you are lying again to try and bolster your position.

Quote:
I am not a big supporter of gay rights. I believe marriage is between a man and woman.
LOL....might want to read up a little on Sharia law and homosexuality.

Quote:
No one knows how strict they will be, so please so please do not pretend to know.
You mean the interim leader of Libya doesn't know...wow,someone should tell him he is ignorant of Libyan affairs.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
have I missed you speaking out against Obama's indiscriminate drone attacks and resulting body count of innocents in Pakistan?

Or are you simply practicing your own brand of hypocrisy?
The second option I would guess....Obamaphiles are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies