U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,380,728 times

Advertisements

Hmm..Obama hasn't exactly been an environmental president. Bit of a warmonger too. Then we have the crackdown on medical marijuana, okaying the assassination of American citizens, doing the bidding of Wall St, civil liberties aren't really a priority with this administration either..

Wait a minute, this guy is a Democrat isn't he? Tell you the truth, when you look at Obama's policies, it kind of hard to tell where the Bush administration ended and Obama began..

Quote:
Environmentalists are unhappy with President Barack Obama’s presidential campaign for hiring a former lobbyist for the Keystone XL pipeline as a senior adviser.

Broderick Johnson, a Washington lawyer and lobbyist, is joining the campaign as a senior adviser and member of the senior staff. Johnson registered as a lobbyist promoting TransCanada’s proposed Alberta-to-Texas pipeline in the fourth quarter of 2010, when he worked for Bryan Cave LLP. TransCanada paid $120,000 to Bryan Cave during those three months, according to lobbying disclosure records.

Bill McKibben, who is leading protests against the pipeline, said the hiring is another sign of “disrespect” from the Obama administration.

"It stinks,” McKibben said in a statement. “I don't think you could conceive a more elaborate way to disrespect not just the environmental community but also Occupy Wall Street, because this is simply a reminder of the way that corporate lobbyists dominate our politics. Forget 'Hope and Change' — it's like they want their new slogan to be 'Business as Usual.'"
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66729.html#ix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,379,395 times
I am convinced this Administration has been bought an paid for by big money. I am also convinced that a McCain administration would have been infinitely worse.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am convinced this Administration has been bought an paid for by big money. I am also convinced that a McCain administration would have been infinitely worse.
Sure, the Obama administration has been bought and paid for..but I don't agree McCain would have necessarily been worse. The actual policies would have been similar. The economy would have still fared about the same had McCain been elected, ..meaning Democrats would probably be in total control of Congress now..

As is, we have a DINO as president, a Republican House...with the possibility of a real disaster coming up next year. IMO, in the long run, for those of us left of center, it would have been better had Obama lost..

Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,685,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Sure, the Obama administration has been bought and paid for..but I don't agree McCain would have necessarily been worse. The actual policies would have been similar. The economy would have still fared about the same had McCain been elected, ..meaning Democrats would probably be in total control of Congress now..

As is, we have a DINO as president, a Republican House...with the possibility of a real disaster coming up next year. IMO, in the long run, for those of us left of center, it would have been better had Obama lost..
Maybe next time Democrats will vote only in the Democratic party primary instead of voting for the Republican candidate they feel is easiest for Hillary to beat.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:54 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,111,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Hmm..Obama hasn't exactly been an environmental president. Bit of a warmonger too. Then we have the crackdown on medical marijuana, okaying the assassination of American citizens, doing the bidding of Wall St, civil liberties aren't really a priority with this administration either..

Wait a minute, this guy is a Democrat isn't he? Tell you the truth, when you look at Obama's policies, it kind of hard to tell where the Bush administration ended and Obama began..

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/66729.html#ix
So what? I don't see what the big deal is about this keystone XL pipeline.

This pipeline is a minor issue to me. As far as I can see Obama has done a pretty good job with environmental regulation. Obama 's EPA is much more serious than Bush's EPA.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,379,395 times
sailordave -

How does a Democrat vote in a Republican primary in your state? In New Hampshire only people registered Republican or Independant can vote in the Republican primary. Independants can vote in either but not both Primaries.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Maybe next time Democrats will vote only in the Democratic party primary instead of voting for the Republican candidate they feel is easiest for Hillary to beat.
That kind of dubious strategy has been employed by both sides...

Limbaugh Urges Texas Republicans to Vote for Clinton

Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,685,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
sailordave -

How does a Democrat vote in a Republican primary in your state? In New Hampshire only people registered Republican or Independant can vote in the Republican primary. Independants can vote in either but not both Primaries.
Not in my state, but in other states in the early part of the primaries have open primaries which allow people of any party to vote in any presidential primary, Republican or Democrat. During the Democratic presidential primaries, there were reports of Democratic voters voting in the Republican Primary for McCain because they thought Hillary was a shoe in for the Primary win and that McCain was the candidate she was most likely to beat in the general election.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
So what? I don't see what the big deal is about this keystone XL pipeline.

This pipeline is a minor issue to me. As far as I can see Obama has done a pretty good job with environmental regulation. Obama 's EPA is much more serious than Bush's EPA.
Yeah, he's been a real godsend for the environment..

Obama biggest recipient of BP cash - POLITICO.com Print View

Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling for First Time - NYTimes.com

Obama Halts EPA Regulation On Smog Standards

Obama halts tighter smog rule, citing 'regulatory burdens' http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44372992/ns/us_news-environment/t/obama-halts-tighter-smog-rule-citing-regulatory-burdens/

Last edited by Upton; 10-25-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,111,926 times
the link game is fun. i can play that too.

EPA Proposes Air Toxics Standards for Power Plants - RegBlog

EPA finalizes rules for cross-state air pollution - The Hill's E2-Wire

EPA to Develop National Regulations on Disposal of Fracking Wastewater - International Business Times

EPA Regional Focus: Nutrients, Stormwater Challenge the Southeast - WaterWorld

Water pollution: Obama EPA orders dramatic cleanup of the Chicago River - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or