Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you support the idea of states rights even when in direct conflict with the Constitution
You are Assuming. I said the right always screams about states rights, until they disagree with the State. I personally think states should only have limited power, we are ONE Nation and we should all abide by the same laws across the board, anything else is ludicrous IMO. Clear it up for ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Im liking Ron more and more

Imagine Rommel (Romney) saying this??? Nahh

Vigilant, observant, law-abiding, gun-owning citizens defend themselves and stop crimes every day before police can respond. That is the source of real security in America: The 2nd Amendment right to defend oneself. The answer is for people to be empowered to protect themselves. Yet how many weapons might these checkpoints confiscate? Even when individual go through all the legal hoops of licensing and permits, the chances of harassment or outright confiscation of weapons and detention of citizens when those weapons are found at a TSA checkpoint is extremely high.
Disarming the highways and filling them full of jack-booted thugs demanding to see our papers is no way to make them safer. Instead, it is a great way to expand government surveillance powers and tighten the noose around our liberties.

The Daily Bell - TSA Releases VIPR Venom on Tennessee Highways
Your use of Rommel as some sort of Nazi\insult shows an interesting lack of historical knowledge.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You are Assuming. I said the right always screams about states rights, until they disagree with the State. I personally think states should only have limited power, we are ONE Nation and we should all abide by the same laws across the board, anything else is ludicrous IMO. Clear it up for ya?
State rights are a grey area.

For example, look at NCLB? Several states with excellent schools (Iowa) have had to make these changes because other states weren't getting the job done.

Another example would be driving laws. Rural states often allow for earlier vehicle operation due to population density issues making bussing and school proximity a challenge. It wouldn't make sense for the USA to force all states to let 14yos drive.

Common sense approaches with limited overarching mandates would be my preference.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your use of Rommel as some sort of Nazi\insult shows an interesting lack of historical knowledge.
It is the usual lack of understanding when it comes to history for some, Rommel was not a Nazi and was in part killed for agreeing that Hitler needed to go. One of greatest Generals to ever lead men, did more with less and was loved by the average soldier and citizens.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Gun laws are like the TSA. They are meant for security theater, but serve a darker, more sinister purpose
The Secret History of Guns - Magazine - The Atlantic

Old 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
State rights are a grey area.

For example, look at NCLB? Several states with excellent schools (Iowa) have had to make these changes because other states weren't getting the job done.

Another example would be driving laws. Rural states often allow for earlier vehicle operation due to population density issues making bussing and school proximity a challenge. It wouldn't make sense for the USA to force all states to let 14yos drive.

Common sense approaches with limited overarching mandates would be my preference.
You do not have to have States laws to have rational laws, it would be easy to put in clauses that cover rural areas. As for education, I am not against great ideas they can often be applied across the board to improve all schools. Again, no need for special state laws.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:44 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to see a Concealed Carry License recognized in any State be legal in ALL states and cities. My NH Driver's License is recognized anywhere in the country so why is my Concealed Carry license (if I had one) not?
H.R.822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
It is the usual lack of understanding when it comes to history for some, Rommel was not a Nazi and was in part killed for agreeing that Hitler needed to go. One of greatest Generals to ever lead men, did more with less and was loved by the average soldier and citizens.
Your right, Im wrong...
But Romney sucks never the less...

Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
People in this forum will never like Ron Paul because the MSM told them he is no good, no matter if they agree with him. I have owned guns for 38 years and never killed anybody or was involved in an armed robbery. I have a gun in every vehicle I drive and I go to the range at least once a week sometimes more. I have no children so it is quite possible to see a gun on my desk or a rifle on a table being worked on. The other day a friend of my wife stopped by and came in the house. I just came back from the range and was cleaning my Saiga 12 gauge and after about 5 minutes of her staring at me trying to talk to my wife she said to me "are you not afraid of that thing going off and killing someone". I just laughed and continued cleaning the gun. Learned years ago don't talk guns with people who know nothing about them or are anti-gun.

She later told my wife I don't know how you can sleep with all those guns in your house. My wife being the smart person she is said "Real Good". Remember, guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:

The differences among the fifty states has proven to be a godsend in the wake of the 2008 recession/depression. If you're stuck in California or Michigan with 12 pct unemployment you can move to a state with more prudent policies and more jobs, such as North Dakota or Texas. If we've got one policy for the whole country, what happens if that policy is wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies