Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

I must have been lucky. I earned my college payments in the rice paddies of the Mekong Delta in '66 and '67. If you count the 50+ years of nightmares it was a very expensive way to pay for an education. The other side paid even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, smart people get grants and loans and scholarships and other financial aid because SMART people know how much higher education really costs.

Really STUPID people think that making higher education really hard and expensive (the Repug Plan) will make a strong, smart, country with a thriving economy.

Smart people know otherwise.
In your dreams does it work out that way!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Obama orders changes to student loan payments

The question is.

Is Obama trying to win the 18-24 year old vote?

2. Does he realize how much this program will cost?
What the heck does paying back only 10% of discretionary income mean? You can make 500k a year an spend most of it. Leaving yourself with less than $1000 of discretionary income. So does this mean you only have to pay $100 each month on say a $200k loan and Obama will forgive your unpaid balance after 20 years?

How much does Obama think this program will cost?
Before you ask dumb questions, you might want to do a little research on your own.
Learn what the terms you're using mean.

I feel that a 10% cap on your payments per year is fine. You really want people to live on the streets because they're paying back their loans?

I don't think you've thought this through.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:16 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,752,083 times
Obamas plan is EXTREMELY dangerous for the country, the man is literally destroying this country with his incompetance. With this forgiveness plan students will be encouraged to take on even more debt while college costs can continue to rise unchecked. The mandate should've been to find ways to REDUCE college costs not increase the amount of student loans and then send the bill to the taxpayer with 20 years of accumulated interest.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,752,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Before you ask dumb questions, you might want to do a little research on your own.
Learn what the terms you're using mean.

I feel that a 10% cap on your payments per year is fine. You really want people to live on the streets because they're paying back their loans?

I don't think you've thought this through.
er... DON'T take the loans if you can't pay for them.

Nothing wrong with going to community college and a lower cost university, working 2 jobs to pay for your tuition, totally doable. lazy, good for nothing kids want to party, buy your new iPhones, take "spring break" trips and charge your nice college lifestyle to your student loans...such nonsense should be BANNED.

I graduated with no debt.. worked full time, went to school full time, it was insanely hard but I did it and graduated with a 3.4 GPA. I could not afford a social life since I did not want to get into debt. If I could do it so can others...no more excuses.

The entitlement mentality in this country needs to stop.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Nothing wrong with going to community college and a lower cost university, working 2 jobs to pay for your tuition, totally doable. lazy, good for nothing kids want to party, buy your new iPhones, take "spring break" trips and charge your nice college lifestyle to your student loans...such nonsense should be BANNED.

I graduated with no debt.. worked full time, went to school full time, it was insanely hard but I did it and graduated with a 3.4 GPA. I could not afford a social life since I did not want to get into debt. If I could do it so can others...no more excuses.

I think if I read one more post like this I will absolutely sceam! Most college students I know are hard working and do not live the lifestyle above.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Default Think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

I guess you missed the point where they are paying them back, but on a different schedule.

I'm sure you prefer giving money to wall street and big business, but some of us prefer supporting loans to students.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:47 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Actually the really smart people get scholarships from universities so they aren't paying out of pocket anyway

The other smart people will only take out loans if they are confident their major will get them a good enough job to pay it back or they will work while in college

The really dumb people take out federal loans to major in basket weaving, then moan and cry when they can't get a job-- and expect the rest of us to pay for them their whole lives. I know several of these types of people. There is no winning with them as they have a very strong entitlement attitude.
Oh gee gosh, you left out the rest of my post you quoted...couldn't address it , could you?

"""Really STUPID people think that making higher education really hard and expensive (the Repug Plan) will make a strong, smart, country with a thriving economy.

Smart people know otherwise."""

Maybe all you education haters could explain how a country thrives with an uneducated population.....

Or do you admit that what Repugs want is the majority of American citizens to be uneducated so they become nothing more than slaves (which is what I believe Repugs want......never realizing THEY will be the slaves, too.....)

Repeat....
Maybe all you education haters could explain how a country thrives with an uneducated population.....

Waiting.......

Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think if I read one more post like this I will absolutely sceam! Most college students I know are hard working and do not live the lifestyle above.
Hey, Kat, those people haven't any experience with college, not themselves and certainly not their "slow" kids, so they're just jealous of what they think "college life" is like....

The jealousy eats away their common sense(if they ever had any) and, as their brain rots, they believe that making education difficult for citizens strengthens a country!

Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I guess you missed the point where they are paying them back, but on a different schedule.

I'm sure you prefer giving money to wall street and big business, but some of us prefer supporting loans to students.
Yup! Repugs hate education because someone other than their ONLY god, The Wealthy, might just make some money.

However, these Repug MOOCHERS used MY taxes to educate their spawn and didn't seem to care....what bloody hypocrites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies