Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we replace the 1 dollar bill with a dollar coin?
Yes, it will save money 34 35.05%
No it's a stupid idea, and how well did the Susan B Anthony dollar coin work out? 21 21.65%
No let's just get rid of the penny 14 14.43%
Better yet, let's save trillions, and get rid of the Fed 28 28.87%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times

Advertisements

With all that the American public has to deal with, do we really need more aggravation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
They already tried that a few years back, it as expected wasn't very popular

Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
It is a good way to devalue currency in people's minds....

Old 10-25-2011, 07:02 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
yes.... and lose the penny for crying out loud.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Should we replace the 1 dollar bill with a dollar coin?

I think it might be a cool idea at first but in the long run, I already have enough change rolling around in my pockets, and I certainly dont want anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
They already tried that a few years back, it as expected wasn't very popular
The problem was that the US didn't do what other country's did when replacing the bill with the coin, which is, get rid of the bill first. For the most part, people don't seem to like change and so they stick with what they know.

They still make the coin dollars, but ive never seen one in general circulation. I have a few that I got from the bank, and every once in awhile I'll get some extra and spend them, Maybe get them circulating so they'll catch on, them and the two dollar bill.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I think it might be a cool idea at first but in the long run, I already have enough change rolling around in my pockets, and I certainly dont want anymore.

The problem was that the US didn't do what other country's did when replacing the bill with the coin, which is, get rid of the bill first. For the most part, people don't seem to like change and so they stick with what they know.

They still make the coin dollars, but ive never seen one in general circulation. I have a few that I got from the bank, and every once in awhile I'll get some extra and spend them, Maybe get them circulating so they'll catch on, them and the two dollar bill.
I spent dollar coins all the time and thus, bring them into circulation. Every time I buy a ticket on Atlanta's MARTA, my change is given in $1 coins. That's quite a few coins if I pay with a $20.

I think it's time to revamp the currency. Get rid of the $5 bill while you're at it. Give me $1, $2, and $5 coins - they last forever and don't need to be taken out of circulation every few years.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM

730 posts, read 827,851 times
who uses cash/coin anymore?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
who uses cash/coin anymore?
Lot of people do. I still use cash for purchases under $100. Using a credit/debit card is mostly an American phenomena as when I was in the UK most people used cash and coin. Germany also uses mostly cash and coin

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
The cash I put in my wallet last month is still there.

As another poster said:

Who uses cash anymore?

In fact who uses checks anymore?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Default The dollar coin is not a dollar

[] The dollar coin is not a dollar. (what?!)

Our exercise into government sponsored counterfeiting, will be Title 31.
TITLE 31 USC § 5112. Denominations, specifications, and design of coins
(a) The Secretary of the Treasury may mint and issue only the following coins:
(1) a dollar coin that is 1.043 inches in diameter.
Let us contrast that with:
Coinage Act of 1792
Dollars or Units - 371 4/16 grain (24.1 g) pure or 416 grain (27.0 g) standard silver
A dollar *(Coinage Act of 1792) and a dollar coin (Title 31 USC Sec. § 5112) seem similar, but are not.

A dollar is a coin, but a "dollar coin" is not necessarily a dollar. It's a coin, but is it equivalent to a dollar, as originally defined?

Let us delve deeper into the labyrinth.
31 USC Sec. 5112. Denominations, specifications, and design of coins
(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary shall mint and issue, in quantities sufficient to meet public demand, coins which
(1) are 40.6 millimeters in diameter and weigh 31.103 grams;
(2) contain .999 fine silver;
(3) have a design
(A) symbolic of Liberty on the obverse side; and
(B) of an eagle on the reverse side;
(4) have inscriptions of the year of minting or issuance, and the words Liberty, In God We Trust, United States of America,
1 Oz. Fine Silver, E Pluribus Unum, and One Dollar; and
(5) have reeded edges.
Now, the coup de grace - - -
(g) For purposes of section 5132 (a)(1) of this title, all coins minted under subsection (e) of this section shall be considered to be numismatic items.
[Expletive deleted]
Now, let us do a quick review to pierce the legal bafflegab.

A "dollar coin" (the "dollard"?) is a coin that is 1.043 inches in diameter. (26.5 mm in dia.)
But a dollar (which has the right amount of silver) defined under section (e) is 1.59 inches in diameter. (40.6 millimeters in diameter)

DO YOU SEE IT YET?
A dollar coin is not a dollar, as defined by the Coinage Act, and the silver dollar, minted under section (e) is numismatic (!) and not to be considered a "dollar" for redemption purposes.

FRAUD, THIEVERY, DECEPTION - the hallmarks of the best Congress that bribery can buy.

These counterfeiters are arrogant and bold scoundrels, all of them are guilty as accessories to counterfeiting the money of the U.S.A.
18 U.S.C. § 485 : US Code - Section 485: Coins or bars
Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States any false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than fifteen years, or both.
Does this explain why the "golden dollar" does not contain more metal than 5 copper pennies of the pre-bankruptcy past?

The Golden Dollar Coin Featuring Sacagawea - United States Mint
The "golden" dollar= 8.1 grams in weight, 88.5% copper
{7.1685 gms. copper}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)
Pennies issued before 1982: 3.11 grams of copper

5 x 3.11 gms = 15.55 gms. of copper (in five cents)

THE NEW DOLLAR CON (ahem) COIN IS A "BIG PENNY"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies