U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

14,259 posts, read 5,063,585 times

Advertisements

A former student of math Teacher Jim Whitney - Joplin High, Joplin MO - posted an article on his facebook page about the recent suicide of a gay 15 year old with the comment "Enough is enough, this hatred has to go." Mr. Whitney promptly chimed in with the statement "moral of the story, don't be gay."

When asked by another facebooker "How many more kids have to kill themselves before everyone realizes that this is an actual issue?," Witney responded by saying "11-13 ought to do it. Somewhere in that vicinity."

I've been to the former student's facebook page as well as Mr. Whitney's. The former student is a recent graduate with more than 100 facebook friends, many of whom are current students at Joplin High. Mr Whitney Mr Whitney has more than 700 facebook friends, many who appear to be current students at Joplin High.

Does a public high school teacher going to a place where teenagers (including many student at his school) "hang out" and making anti-gay comments such as these fall under free speech, or is it unacceptable, fireable harassment and bullying?

Joplin teacher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:06 AM

25,272 posts, read 15,440,892 times
It should be up to the principal of the school and the local school board to decide if his statements warrant his firing. But at the very least, I think it's poor judgment on his part to 'hang out' with students and make snide remarks about gays or someone who has committed suicide.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM

14,259 posts, read 5,063,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It should be up to the principal of the school and the local school board to decide if his statements warrant his firing. But at the very least, I think it's poor judgment on his part to 'hang out' with students and make snide remarks about gays or someone who has committed suicide.
If you were in charge, what would you do? Would public comments to teenagers that basically call for a dozen more gay teens to kill themselves in order to drive home some moral message of what it means to be gay be something you'd tolerate from your teachers?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

25,272 posts, read 15,440,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you were in charge, what would you do? Would public comments to teenagers that basically call for a dozen more gay teens to kill themselves in order to drive home some moral message of what it means to be gay be something you'd tolerate from your teachers?
Me? Absolutely not. I wouldn't just let it happen. I'd call him into my office and say, "What the f*ck are you doing?" And then I'd send an announcement to all of the teachers in the school or the district, and tell them that 'hanging out' with the kids on Facebook is a no-no.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,386,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Me? Absolutely not. I wouldn't just let it happen. I'd call him into my office and say, "What the f*ck are you doing?" And then I'd send an announcement to all of the teachers in the school or the district, and tell them that 'hanging out' with the kids on Facebook is a no-no.
I think the student is out of school already. Missouri passed a law recently that made it illegal for current students and teachers to be friends on social media.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM

29,196 posts, read 11,815,249 times
Pause.

Breathe.

The teacher has told the student that those comments were not his, that someone else using his account made those statements. The student has a long-standing relationship with the teacher, and believes that the teacher did not make the offensive comments, that it's not in character or in the teacher's posting style.

The school district is investigating the matter.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM

10,115 posts, read 3,366,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Pause.

Breathe.

The teacher has told the student that those comments were not his, that someone else using his account made those statements. The student has a long-standing relationship with the teacher, and believes that the teacher did not make the offensive comments, that it's not in character or in the teacher's posting style.

Facebook accounts get hacked all the time...that's unfortunate.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM

7,902 posts, read 5,513,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I think the student is out of school already. Missouri passed a law recently that made it illegal for current students and teachers to be friends on social media.
LOL

Unconstitiutional as hell.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

17,407 posts, read 7,949,964 times
His first statement was ok his 2nd crossed the line he'll be looking for a new job soon assuming union rules don't prevent him from being disciplined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
A former student of math Teacher Jim Whitney - Joplin High, Joplin MO - posted an article on his facebook page about the recent suicide of a gay 15 year old with the comment "Enough is enough, this hatred has to go." Mr. Whitney promptly chimed in with the statement "moral of the story, don't be gay."

When asked by another facebooker "How many more kids have to kill themselves before everyone realizes that this is an actual issue?," Witney responded by saying "11-13 ought to do it. Somewhere in that vicinity."

I've been to the former student's facebook page as well as Mr. Whitney's. The former student is a recent graduate with more than 100 facebook friends, many of whom are current students at Joplin High. Mr Whitney Mr Whitney has more than 700 facebook friends, many who appear to be current students at Joplin High.

Does a public high school teacher going to a place where teenagers (including many student at his school) "hang out" and making anti-gay comments such as these fall under free speech, or is it unacceptable, fireable harassment and bullying?

Joplin teacher

Old 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM

17,407 posts, read 7,949,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Pause.

Breathe.

Oops missed this post seems we have another gay thread fail.
Moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies