Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's not the sole measure of ecological impact. That's reductionistic, stupid statistical abuse.

If you look at an acre of land that houses 10 families, versus an acre that houses 1 family for which is it more economical to:

- Provide electrical infrastructure?
- Provide public transportation?
- Collect refuse?
- Deliver Food?
- Provide medical services?
- Provide an elementary school and school transportation?

You may not care-- and I am certainly no environmentalist or pie-in-the-sky hippe-- but the fact is that dense housing is a much better use of land from an ecological standpoint than a country club.
Not always true. Dense housing is mostly low housing that pay no homeowners taxes where a county club neighborhood will most likely have a higher housing market that will pay a larger homeowners tax to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM

608 posts, read 923,674 times
Everyone seems to be missing an obvious point, regardless of where they may stand on this loan issue. Maybe if these super-wealthy universities lowered their admissions costs this wouldn't be on the table. Of course, as a taxpayer, why is it MY responsibility to help send your sorry @ss brat to college??? Once again, this "Obama Stimulus" leaves the tax paying citizens of the USA on the hook.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Maybe the rich can pay it with their 237% in income they have gained since 1971. You right wingers you just don't get it

My income gain is ten fold of that and it's mine. You don't get it. If you want more income go make it and quit expecting everyone else to hand it to you.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:25 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen
Even if it is to some, which I would bet is a minority since most working people like to continue working rather than have nothing to do, and bring in a small fraction of their previous income, 2 years out of 80, or so humans can live is not a lifestyle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It is for two years. And it appears if enough whine it will get extended. Kick that can Obama.

I hope some day you are out of work, with no way to feed your family or pay your bills or keep a roof over your head, and there is no government there to help you. I know, I know, you think you are better than those who are currently unemployed, that it will never happen to you because you are somehow more worthy, that people who can't find work are simply lazy and looking for a handout. Spoken like someone who has never faced that grim and depressing prospect.

Look at the numbers, you ass. There ARE no jobs. For many people, unemployment insurance is the only thing that allows them to put food on the table. I know several people who are in this position right now, people who have worked hard all their lives, but who saw their jobs disappear overseas, with no new ones being created to replace them. Should we turn our backs on these people and let them starve?

According to you, asking your country for help to survive is whining. That the same country that sends billions to Israel every year, that bailed out hedge fund managers and big banks, that gives obscene amounts of money to big oil companies year after year, should turn their backs on their own citizens in need. Your lack empathy is appalling and un-American. I would tell you that you should be ashamed of yourself, but it's obvious you have no ability to feel.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I don't know anything about your education but I do know that it if you want it you should pay for it, that's a pretty simple concept isn't it? Your degree doesn't help me, therefore I shouldn't have to pay for it.

Last time I checked, police officers have to pay for their education just like everyone else so they get the full benefit of being employed as a result of that education.
Translation:

Quote:
I got mine, forget you.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Everyone seems to be missing an obvious point, regardless of where they may stand on this loan issue. Maybe if these super-wealthy universities lowered their admissions costs this wouldn't be on the table. Of course, as a taxpayer, why is it MY responsibility to help send your sorry @ss brat to college??? Once again, this "Obama Stimulus" leaves the tax paying citizens of the USA on the hook.
"Saving" the borrowers a whole $120 per year that must be paid, and by the rest of the taxpayers, at that, is another example of redistribution of wealth in order to "help" college students. You are 100% right in what you say. Of course, you and I don't agree with Obama running end runs around Congress all the time, also.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
No one is forcing you to use the roads to drive either. Pay up!

I do bud and I bet I pay more than you make every year

Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
>College will be free

As well it should be.

At least, lower-tier colleges anyways.
But Obama has promised that college education will be free. Of course, this latest end run around Congress couldn't go all the way without Congress coming after him for his attempts at dictatorial power.

Since he promised to go all the way, I wonder why he did this tiny little thing.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
The failure of people to think on a macro level is absolutely amazing.

The failure of you to think outside the box is even more amazing

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Of course, you choose to spin it negatively. I look at it as Obama's executive order saves grads $120 a year. Over the 20 year loan, that's $2,400.

Sounds like a good thing.
Hmmmm, $2400 over 20 years. If that will buy him any votes it appears to me that today's college kids sell out very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies