Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,329,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Quote:
You get flak due to ridiculous, long held beliefs about mixed people being "black by default" which were ironically created in the past by racists. (See the "One Drop Rule" and Virginia's Racial Integrity Act of 1924 among many other examples). Personally, I refuse to abide by a mentality that was used to discriminate against my ancestors.
Amen and me too. I called it out as a Jim Crow attitude (One Drop Is All It Takes!) but it seems that people just could not see the hypocrisy.

Quote:
Some may give you flak because they see your kids rejection of "black" as an acceptance and embrace of "white". This may have been always true in the past with those "passing for white" out of necessity, self-preservation or personal gain, but is not always true now, with the wide acceptance and pride of biracial people these days.
The funny thing is, it's obvious my kids aren't "white" - at least not anymore "white" than they are "black," so it's ridiculous to assume that they are trying to deny a part of their heritage (which they are not) or trying to "pass," - a concept that is abhorrent to me and to my family. "Passing" as if that's something to strive for - it's PATHETIC and totally unnecessary in the US today. I mean,I don't blame people in the past for doing what they had to do in order to survive and protect their families, but "passing" today in the US? Ridiculous concept.

Quote:
I know better, since I have family doing the same thing, the kids call themselves "brown", which is neither an acceptance or rejection of either side.
Amen, and it is certainly their perogative.

My oldest (biracial) daughter told me a funny story the other day. She had a dream that she suddenly acquired a baby - somehow she knew it was hers biologically - but it was a "white" baby. (Keep in mind that this particular daughter has a blonde haired, blue eyed daughter already - so apparently this baby was "REALLY" white!). Anyway, she kept thinking, "There must be some mistake - why do I have a white baby?" She kept trying to give it back to the nurses in the hospital and they kept looking at her like she was crazy and telling her, "We are sure this baby is yours. What's the problem? You're stuck with her. Keep her." Then they said, "You will need her. You're moving to Germany."

Life is a trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM

I have a great movie recommendation for those who may be interested

Secrets & Lies (1996) - IMDb

Successful black woman traces her birth mother to a lower-class white woman, who denies it; emotions run high as everyone's secrets are exposed.

Cynthia lives in London with her sullen street-sweeper daughter. Her brother has been successful with his photographer's business and now lives nearby in a more upmarket house. But Cynthia hasn't even been invited round there after a year. So, all round, she feels rather lonely and isolated. Meanwhile, in another part of town, Hortense, adopted at birth but now grown up, starts to try and trace her mother.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
technically we are all afro american as it all started in africa.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You just don't get it, do you? I didn't pick the names of the catagories for races so why are you asking me about it? They are what they are.
Good afternoon,

What do you mean I don't "get it"? My question makes perfect sense. I'm asking YOU, because you decided to reply to my initial post with the "it's not about skin color" argument. If you're going to argue that calling someone "black" is not about skin color, then PROVE it. Don't deflect blame to the government simply because your argument is indefensible.

We both agree on the position of removing government racial categories, so why don't you move on from that and defend your own argument about how calling someone "black" has nothing to do with skin color.

Quote:
I don't consider describing those who are mostly from African ancestry as black "racially" as being inaccurate. Brown is not anymore more accurate of a word to use to describe them "racially".
Once again, please explain why the racial definition of "black" has nothing to do with skin color. Where did the racial designation come from, if not from some person's interpretation of skin color? You have yet to answer that simple question.

Can you please explain why "brown" is less accurate than "black" if virtually all of the people we're referring to have different shades of brown skin?

Quote:
I don't like that the census asks for your race because they have an ulterior motive for doing so. If I wanted change that would be the change I would seek.
I agree and advocated for the same before you decided to reply to my posts.

Quote:
One of the inaccuracies in the racial catagories on the census is that don't have a catagory for mullato or mestizo. Yet, they want to know if your ethnicity is Hispanic? WTH? I wonder why that is?
I agree. It's unnecessary for government to be involved in this. Racial categories aren't even uniform, throughout the history they have added, deleted and changed racial designations on government forms.

In regards to mulatto/mestizo, on the 2010 census form, someone who is mulatto would write biracial under "some other race", and "Hispanic" as their ethnicity. Mestizo would mark either "American Indian" or "some other race" and write in biracial/multi-racial as their race and "Hispanic" as their ethnicity.

Last edited by Freedom123; 07-26-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and me too. I called it out as a Jim Crow attitude (One Drop Is All It Takes!) but it seems that people just could not see the hypocrisy.
Some old stereotypes are hard to break, positive or negative. Usually when I point out that racists created the stereotype, people are more likely to listen.

Quote:
My oldest (biracial) daughter told me a funny story the other day....
Interesting dream. I get the punch line, but I can't relate.

Quote:

Tried to find it on Netflix, no luck. Where did you find it?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Some old stereotypes are hard to break, positive or negative. Usually when I point out that racists created the stereotype, people are more likely to listen.

Interesting dream. I get the punch line, but I can't relate.

Tried to find it on Netflix, no luck. Where did you find it?
Dang it, that's weird - I got it on Netflix. Hmmm, I just checked it and it says you can "save it" to your DVD queue but apparently they don't have it in stock at the moment.

Must have warped in the Texas heat when I sent it back! LOL Anyway, save it - it's really, really well done and witty.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Dang it, that's weird - I got it on Netflix. Hmmm, I just checked it and it says you can "save it" to your DVD queue but apparently they don't have it in stock at the moment.

Must have warped in the Texas heat when I sent it back! LOL Anyway, save it - it's really, really well done and witty.
I meant instant streaming, I probably should have specified. I don't have the DVD service.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,455,713 times
Imitation of Life would be my suggestion....

Imitation Of Life Part 4/13 - YouTube

Imitation Of Life Part 8 of 13 - YouTube

Quote:

Successful black woman traces her birth mother to a lower-class white woman, who denies it; emotions run high as everyone's secrets are exposed.

Cynthia lives in London with her sullen street-sweeper daughter. Her brother has been successful with his photographer's business and now lives nearby in a more upmarket house. But Cynthia hasn't even been invited round there after a year. So, all round, she feels rather lonely and isolated. Meanwhile, in another part of town, Hortense, adopted at birth but now grown up, starts to try and trace her mother.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

Both movies are good.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,531 times
We are all brothers and sisters in the body of Christ . Let's strive to make a difference and move forward ,. It does not make sense for us to live in the past . Check other on all of your boxes no one is made up of one race .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies