Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,641 times

Advertisements

Best to not get caught up in the false left right paradigm in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 PM

608 posts, read 923,471 times
After reading through this thread, I'm willing to admit that although I detest most of the liberal policies being forced on the USA by our current administration, I can see some positive reasons why many libs think the way they do.

-Wellfare/government handouts: Most liberals probably really DO care about trying to help the poor. I don't believe in wealth redistribution or higher taxation to get it done, but I can't fault someone for genuinely caring.

there, I said something nice about libs...OMG, I think I have a headache.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
Yep. With rare exception, you will find most of the wingnut, rants, lies, insults and deflections coming from the left. For the most part, the right has been spot on. Probably why the right is called the right.
No. On this forum at least, I have seen More vitriolic posts against Obama spouting nothing more than bumper sticker mantallities than from the opposition.

There are good reasons to be against Obama: he focused on national healthcare at the expense of jobs. He lacks any leadership ability to influence Congress.

He is an idealistic failure, but he is not worthy of our hate.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
After a couple years on this forum, I gotta say, I'm not seeing it.
ROFLMFAO...........I completely agree.....I thought he was being sarcastic.......

I usually am confronted by emotional rants lacking substance and facts/data....credible links etc......kind of like listening to a Rick Santorum rant.

And by looking at his "family" you can see where crazy rants get you>>>>>

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,236 times
Good observation! there IS hope for our ailing nation. Sigh...

Old 10-29-2011, 12:16 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am glad you approach this forum with an open mind. I am fairly conservative, more of a constitutionalist than anything. Some of my ideas lean left, most lean center to right. I am always willing to debate an issue, and try to do so from a stance of intellectual debate, though I admit to falling down now and then and responding in anger to some nonsense someone posted that is so ludicrous that it was probably a waste of time to even consider a response.

I am always willing to reconsider my stance, when presented with logical reasons why my stance is inaccurate. On issues that are more open to interpretation, again, a good logical reason why my stance is inaccurate will cause me to reconsider it.

And I have to admit, there are some issues, that I feel there is no debate on. Abortion would be one. While I don't agree with it, I don't believe it is my right to force upon someone else my ideals. I don't want to see a life cavalierly dismissed, but in the end, it isn't my decision to make for someone else.

Gun control, is being able to hit your target. Most people don't realize, over 2.5 million crimes each year are prevented by a legally armed citizen, and a criminal is 7 times more likely to face an armed citizen, than a police officer. Kennesaw Ga, is a good place to research, if your interested.

Last, I admit I thoroughly enjoy a good intellectual debate. I don't use emotion, I like facts. I enjoy giving and getting good facts and information, and having a discussion with someone who can back their choices on solid fact, and is willing to share with me their experience, reasoning, and information. I have changed my stance on things before, and will do so again, as I have changed other people's stance on thing based on the solid information I have provided them.
+1 on all points. Excellent, excellent post.

To all of those posting sarcastic one-liners, grow up. You contribute nothing to a useful debate. The extreme right and extreme left are equally stupid and stubborn. They'd rather light themselves on fire then agree that the 'other side' is right about anything. Both show blind faith to a party who could care less about them. Do the research for yourself, vote for the best person for the job, period. Make the slightest effort not to bash people who think differently then you do.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It would be interesting to see a study of crime, perpetrated by conservatives vs liberals. My guess would be 90% liberal. Conseratives tend to respect law and order. Perfect example OWS vs Tea Party.
This is a prefect example of a CD-Conservative.

Claim something completely ridiculous without backing it up. Go find some data to support your allegation. Do you really think criminals care about politics? Don't criminals like the right to carry a gun?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
No. On this forum at least, I have seen More vitriolic posts against Obama spouting nothing more than bumper sticker mantallities than from the opposition.

There are good reasons to be against Obama: he focused on national healthcare at the expense of jobs. He lacks any leadership ability to influence Congress.

He is an idealistic failure, but he is not worthy of our hate.
I don't hate Obama. The man is doing what HE thinks is right. The fact that I disagree with him doesn't mean I hate him.

Now, if I had blamed losing my job/house/everything due to his policies, yes, I would hate him... However, let's be honest.

1. Lost job. I lost my job of 11 plus years back in 2004 after being laid off in a cost cutting move. It was 18 months before I got another good full time job. Did I whine, cry, etc etc ad nauseam? NOPE! i worked part time jobs, sometimes as many as 4 in a week 80 plus hours. I made ends meet, without insurance for my kids who required daily meds, and monthly visits to the doctor. I did it without the government dole, unemployment, etc etc. I did it myself, and set an example for MY kids, that you can get through anything if you put your mind to it. Oh, and to add insult to injury, I am mildly handicapped. I cannot carry anything over about 20 lb's, have trouble walking, or standing for any length of time, and have to take pain meds all day, every day.

2. Home/car? Didn't lose one. Didn't get a loan modification, didn't turn my home over to the bank. I made it all work. Again, I demonstrated to my children, (Whom I raised as a divorced dad with primary physical custody), that I didn't need government handouts to make it work.

I think the man is disingenuous, he's broken more campaign promises to his constituents than a philander has broken promises to his wife, and I believe he has done more to hurt America, it's economy and it's status as a nation in the eyes of the world than every president prior to him, but I can't hate him for it. Truth be told, I feel bad for him. When he's replaced by someone and the nation does a 180, he's going to have to live with that knowledge the rest of his life. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone, OR their family.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
kind of like listening to a Rick Santorum rant.

And by looking at his "family" you can see where crazy rants get you>>>>>

Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,324,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
This is a prefect example of a CD-Conservative.

Claim something completely ridiculous without backing it up. Go find some data to support your allegation. Do you really think criminals care about politics? Don't criminals like the right to carry a gun?
LMAO, you really believe that criminals are legit card carrying gun owners? Please. If you really believe that, I've got some wonderful waterfront property to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies