Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
In your world, scary as it may be.

Generators can't handle "cords running all over the place". Not the size these folks are using. They handle one or two cords, MAYBE 4 depending on size. I highly doubt they lugged anything bigger than that down there. It's no different than any vendor in the San Genneiro feast down the block 2 months ago. YOU are failing, because you're trying to justify the illegal seizure of property. You can't make laws and ordinances up as you go along.

A book of matches and a bottle of brandy poses a greater threat than a generator. Really. I don't see them closing the liquor stores that sell booz and cigarettes.

If it's illegal they will surely take action to have their property returned and be set back up again. I'm willing to bet the actions of the city are legal. Cans of gasoline pose a greater threat than a bottle of brandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
They should just tell em they cant camp in the park, this is kinda weird

And guns are an inalienable right, that the 2nd Amendment codifies... No more dangerous than a shovel or a pointy stick...

the cops cant, the property they are on is private, not public.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The second Amendment allows you to keep and bear arms. As to bringing it in the public that is another story. Around here bringing a gun into a library, or courthouse is a good way to get arrested.

Furthermore if you take that argument that the Second Amendment not only allows people to keep and bear arms but also bring them around to public places. The natural extention of that would be to say that the right to assembly in the first amendment must neccessarily allow people to have items that make their lawful protest assembly viable.

As I said there are laws that allow people to carry in public. Go ahead and keep trying to spin that. Once a protest becomes hazardous it's no longer a lawful protest. Who do you figure has the legal authority to determine hazards?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
If it's illegal they will surely take action to have their property returned and be set back up again. I'm willing to bet the actions of the city are legal. Cans of gasoline pose a greater threat than a bottle of brandy.
Agreed on the gas. Definitely a law against storage beyond a certain amount. However, that doesn't excuse the confiscation of the generators.

I think it was pretty clueless to try and store gas in an area so sensitive to terrorism. Laws or no laws, I would have thought someone would have thought twice about it and hid the gas better. Either that, or bought the $50 propane kit for their generators. Propane is legal to store.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
As I said there are laws that allow people to carry in public. Go ahead and keep trying to spin that. Once a protest becomes hazardous it's no longer a lawful protest. Who do you figure has the legal authority to determine hazards?
This is going in a direction I have no desire to go. Good Day.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
This is going I a direction I have no desire to go. Good Day.

People who are losing and failing often try to seek a quick exit. See ya....

Old 10-28-2011, 05:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Violation of rights? Where does it say you have the right to run a generator? LOL

Don't worry they'll be callin in the lawyers once something catches the whole mess on fire and then blame the city for not preventing it.

Go pitch a tent in front of the courthouse in your town and fire up a generator and string extension chords all over the place and see how long you last there.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
People who are losing and failing often try to seek a quick exit. See ya....
Look, recently I have had to many law related arguments with people who have no clue as to what they are talking about. Now if you want to keep it on a philosophical level then I am happy to talk, but otherwise I see no point.

106 posts, read 159,173 times
"About two dozen gun-toting Tea Party activists staged a rally at the Montana statehouse on Friday to support the Second Amendment right to bear arms and limiting the reach of the federal government......

......The demonstrators had received special permission in advance to bring their weapons, unloaded and secured, to the state Capitol grounds for the rally."

You're comparing two dozen people who had permission to bring unloaded, secured weapons to a rally to the unregulated, uncontrolled use of highly flammable, dangerous materials by anyone who feels like setting up a generator on city streets?

Do you realize how typical that is of the Occupy movement? It's dishonest in the extreme, the same kind of mentality I used to get from a teenager I knew who when asked why he didn't do the dishes as asked, stated "I did do the dishes. You never told me I had to do the glasses, cups, silverware, pots and pans".

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
generators are only dangerous if you dont know what you are doing with them. since they have had them for the previous 6 weeks, I find that doubtful.

more likely an attempt by the establishment to put off a lawful protest.
A) They are dangerous.

B) They are protesting illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies