Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
MAYBE you should learn more about what it is your talking about. ISP's aren't the internet, they are companies that provide you the USER, an offramp to the highway.

They can't do sqaut of the highway is congested, or are you suggesting that building more on ramps and off ramps will make it better? bwaaahahahahahaha

As for infrastructure? Most people haven't a clue what infrastructure is required, or in fact utilized. MANY ISP's have infrastructure not even hitting 50% usage.

Bandwidth caps are in place primarily to ensure that all people have equal usage capability. Want more, buy more.
Thats not how the interenet works at all. It is not a freeway.

Yes, the more people that are on it, the more the data slows down. However, transport is being grown at rates faster than consumer demand.

In the future, there won't be any land line tranport providers. There won't be any home cable companies, there won't be any telephone lines.

Everything is going wireless. Everything. From TV, music, downloadable videos, keeping cars from crashing into one another on the interestate, keeping your business connected to customers and the like, and everything else.

You will get a dedicated "Your internet will work at this amount of download and upload speeds, with maximums much higher, but not guaranteed".

For instance, you'll pay 100 dollars a month for a dedicated, guaranteed 9Mbp/s connection, or you can pay 200 a month for a 15Mbp/s connection guaranteed.

Cellular carriers make 0 dollars on voice, all of their income comes from DARPU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
after all, these people are using up a huge portion of bandwith which is slowing up the internet for everyone else who doesn't use netflix.

netflix using larger percentage of peak u.s. Bandwidth | home media magazine

pay per megabyte of data soon?
bs

Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
ISP's generally supply a certain bandwidth, and other customers' usage doesn't really affect that. Paying per megabyte is an incredible annoyance and one I would hope to avoid. If your internet seems slower than normal, you could be infected with a virus or maybe someone's tapping into your wifi.

Why does the bandwidth I receive from my ISP jump around from 0 to 512K with speeds of 30K to 60K being most common? (My ISP is bottom of the barrel and widely derided; what I'm getting is no worse than other users are reporting.)

Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats not how the interenet works at all. It is not a freeway.

Yes, the more people that are on it, the more the data slows down. However, transport is being grown at rates faster than consumer demand.

In the future, there won't be any land line tranport providers. There won't be any home cable companies, there won't be any telephone lines.

Everything is going wireless. Everything. From TV, music, downloadable videos, keeping cars from crashing into one another on the interestate, keeping your business connected to customers and the like, and everything else.

You will get a dedicated "Your internet will work at this amount of download and upload speeds, with maximums much higher, but not guaranteed".

For instance, you'll pay 100 dollars a month for a dedicated, guaranteed 9Mbp/s connection, or you can pay 200 a month for a 15Mbp/s connection guaranteed.

Cellular carriers make 0 dollars on voice, all of their income comes from DARPU.
Everything is not going wireless, and there is no plans for everything to go wireless anytime soon. Also Cellular carriers do make money on voice, and for you to think anything different goes to show you have no clue what you are talking about.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
After all, these people are using up a huge portion of bandwith which is slowing up the internet for everyone else who doesn't use netflix.

Netflix Using Larger Percentage of Peak U.S. Bandwidth | Home Media Magazine

pay per megabyte of data soon?
That has to be the most foolish idea I've ever seen here on CD.

Look, contrary to what some might think, EVERYTHING is going the way of the web. We already see it with cars, home security, even home climate control. Everything that folks monitor or control right now, will sooner or later end up on the web. Then comes all the new inventions to come.

That being said, as our internet utilization with devices increases, and we become more dependent on it, bandwidth usage will increase for the average person.

Just like content has gone from being suitable for a 14.4k modem to the point where it doesn't display well with slower than a 1mb connection, content will continue to be enriched as bandwidth becomes available.

That being said, I work at home, but do not use a terribly large amount of bandwidth. However, I pay an exorbitant amount of taxes that go toward servicing roads that I hardly ever drive on because I work at home.

So when we start paying a tax for mileage every year at inspection time, and eliminating tax revenue from income to service roads, THEN we can talk about making me pay a metered charge for internet usage.

Aside from that, what do you think? You're going to get a discount? No, you might get a MINOR discount, but the bulk of us will end up paying more while the broadband companies get richer.

Think before you advocate change in the wrong direction.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ford doesn't charge me because I drive their car more often, and use more gas.

Why should netflix charge me for the extra bandwidth I'm using?
Netflix charges flat rate or by the movie? Theymost certainly would have their own costs associated with the upstream service and people using that service more will cost them more.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
I pay an exorbitant amount of taxes that go toward servicing roads that I hardly ever drive on because I work at home.
Roads are primarily funded through fuel taxes both federal and state, average is about 50 cents gallon. It's actually one the fairest taxes we have, larger vehicles that do more damage also use more fuel so they pay more. If you don't drive you don't pay anything other than what is included in the cost of products you buy. While on the topic fuel taxes go for things other than roads like mass transit....

Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Netflix charges flat rate or by the movie? Theymost certainly would have their own costs associated with the upstream service and people using that service more will cost them more.
Flat rate, but like most businesses you've either got to pass the cost of materials (data connections), one way or another. Either raise the flat rate, which they've done, or lower the amount you can download.

For example, right now netflix offers unlimited streaming. What if its only 10 movies a month, and 10 TV shows?

But the OP's complaint is that Netflix users are using so much bandwidth, that it slows down their connection and increases their cost. The rest of the world has complained about that with the United States use of oil in the world, hasn't done them much good.

How many folks know Europeans who don't think its fair that we pay 3.50 cents a gallon, when we use the most of it?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Everything is not going wireless, and there is no plans for everything to go wireless anytime soon. Also Cellular carriers do make money on voice, and for you to think anything different goes to show you have no clue what you are talking about.
Yes, it is.

One of cables largest new data customers are cellular phone companies. And we pay, and we don't miss bills. More and more media is come streaming over the internet. Children today watch more media on tablets and laptops then they do on television.

Even electrical providers are updating their lines with fiber, so that you can now get your internet pipe from them. Cable and traditional media are dead and dying. Much like over air transmission.

Data use is increasing exponentially. And online services are cheaper.

Right now I could buy a Hulu subscription, use VUDU and netflix, as well as the major networks streaming their broadcast shows online for free, and pay less then half of what most folks pay for cable a month.

New transport providers, and even cox in New Orleans are cutting back their service to the regular homes, so that they can provide cellular carriers with more backhaul.

Why should cable providers and land line connections be made to each and every house that wants them, when you can send that to a hub that can be accessed by 500 homes for less of a cost?

Welcome to the 21st century. DSL, cable internet, and T1 to houses will be a practiced ended in most of this country within the next 20 years.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Roads are primarily funded through fuel taxes both federal and state, average is about 50 cents gallon. It's actually one the fairest taxes we have, larger vehicles that do more damage also use more fuel so they pay more. If you don't drive you don't pay anything other than what is included in the cost of products you buy. While on the topic fuel taxes go for things other than roads like mass transit....
Tell that to all the municipal paving crews and private paving contractors on the end of the stimulus money that has torn up my local roads for the last year, that were perfectly fine before Obama wrote the checks. That didn't come from my last fill-up, and it didn't come from tolls, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies