Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM

36,076 posts, read 30,560,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
A stay-at-home has one house to clean. She has seven days to do it. Come on. If you spend several hours cleaning one house, you're not going to need to spend much more time cleaning it throughout the week -- just light cleaning here and there. Shopping? That takes a few hours -- again seven days to do it. Cooking? You can cook up a very good meal for a family of five in one hour. That's one hour, a day. Child care? You mean hanging out with your tyke? That's definitely draining, but that's not a hardcore job or anything. Transportation? You mean driving yourself around and doing errands like those of us who work for the man also have to do?

Staying home is just not a hard job. It's just not. I don't disrespect it. Women who do it are establishing a nice home life for themselves and their kids -- if their husbands are cool with it, so am I. But again, let's not be ridiculous here. Next we'll have a janitor trying to convince us that his jobn is as demanding as a CEO -- with all that gum scraping and toilet scrubbing and what not.
Im not going to argue with you about how hard it is. As I stated before it depends on what you put into it. It obvious you have never managed a home and family.

Ill second what Ceece said. Its no less hard than or much different than your average job. The difference being your responsibilities end after 8 hrs. and you have weekends off.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,193,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Ummm, actually they are: many are single moms.

I'm outta here on this thread, people. I've said all I need to say on this subject. The SAHMs are never gonna admit they have a Dream Gig, and that it beats the living Hell out of going to work everyday.
But hey: we ALL know what's what. Right?
I was a single mom. I also worked full time. MUCH easier to keep a house clean and in order when no one is there to mess it up all day.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,780,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
If you don't care about what you're doing and throw a box of mac n cheese at the kid, sure, staying at home not giving a rats behind about cultivating their abilities is easy. It's even easier with the policy of children should be seen and not heard. You've complained about your ex in how many threads, but how many women have played it the way he did (in your story) loafing? How many girls in womens bodies spend their days shopping HSN, subcontract a maid/ cook/ nanny and ignore their kids because their nail appointments have higher priority?

2 different (authentic) skill sets (one valued monetarily, the other disrespectfully valued at zero) have no business being spoken of as in competition with one another. Why is he your ex?
Not really. I'm thinking of my days off,plus my Mom was a sahm.
I sit at home eating, on the computer.
After making meals and cleaning,which all take about an hour,I'm done.
Its much harder to wake up out of your sleep,go to work,get disrespected by the boss,worry about bills.
I know a lot of sahm that don't do anything after 5pm. In fact my sis is one and she calls me about 4 times a day to complain about her hubby or just talk. I don't have time for that though. She doesn't understand.

The ones who do have it hard are the working Moms who have to cook and clean after work.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,595,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's probably no harder than your typical paper pushing, go to meetings and maybe answer a couple phone calls jobs. Only little lives are at stake and you don't get to talk to people your own age and socialize as much. Like all jobs, not everyone has what it takes to do it.
Of course being a stay-at-home isn't the only easy job out there. My point throughout this thread has simply been that being a stay-at-home is a pretty cush gig, not anything to whine and moan about. As for your comment about little lives, I guess my daughter's little life is not on the line because my wife and I work? Working outside the home, which is to say working, doesn't mean you have to do any less than a stay-at-home -- it just means you have to be a lot more effeceint because you have a lot less time to do it in.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,595,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im not going to argue with you about how hard it is. As I stated before it depends on what you put into it. It obvious you have never managed a home and family.

Ill second what Ceece said. Its no less hard than or much different than your average job. The difference being your responsibilities end after 8 hrs. and you have weekends off.
You're right. I have never managed a home. I have, however, managed over 20 people in combat, so I do know a little bit about management. My wife, a teacher, does the stay-at-home thing three months out of the year. She runs our house like a well run platoon during that time. She says it's laughably easy, and she spends most of her day exercising, reading and pursuing hobbies.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM

36,076 posts, read 30,560,927 times
Quote:
You're right. I have never managed a home. I have, however, managed over 20 people in combat, so I do know a little bit about management. My wife, a teacher, does the stay-at-home thing three months out of the year. She runs our house like a well run platoon during that time. She says it's laughably easy, and she spends most of her day exercising, reading and pursuing hobbies.
Thats understandable. The transition form working mom, getting up early and getting the kid ready, taking her to school, getting to work on time, putting in 8, picking the kid up then taking care of the home responsibilities, cooking, cleaning, etc., to just stay at home mom responsibilities ( no schedule, no school, and 8+ extra hrs. a day) for 3 months must seem like a vacation.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:44 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,544,719 times
This is 2011, not 1961--somebody needs to leave the Twilight Zone.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,256,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
This is 2011, not 1961--somebody needs to leave the Twilight Zone.
Don't go there, marv. 1961 beats the hell out of 2011 in many ways.

And the Twilight Zone sure beats the hell out of Jersey Shore or the other tripe on TV these days...

Give me an economy where only one parent needs to work -- sometimes the man, sometimes the woman.

You know, like we had in 1961.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 PM

37,059 posts, read 42,027,507 times
Quote:
Of course being a stay-at-home isn't the only easy job out there. My point throughout this thread has simply been that being a stay-at-home is a pretty cush gig, not anything to whine and moan about. As for your comment about little lives, I guess my daughter's little life is not on the line because my wife and I work? Working outside the home, which is to say working, doesn't mean you have to do any less than a stay-at-home -- it just means you have to be a lot more effeceint because you have a lot less time to do it in.
Sure your daughter's life is on the line...and someone else besides you and your wife is responsible for that if she's in daycare or at the sitters. That's all. More work/less work it all depends on what you do with your life. You can't say squat about what someone else does because you don't know their lifesyle. Maybe you pick up take out on your way home from your "real job" while someone else makes their own bread every day...who knows. Not you, that's my point.

People will complain about whatever they want. They don't need a certain "approved" job or whatever.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,403,072 times
I can't believe that we live in the 21st century and yet there are still Neanderthals among us who get all preachy about what a woman's "place" supposedly is, all because of some relic stereotype left over from days when men could mistreat and condescendingly patronize women in pretty much any way they saw fit. That's truly pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies