Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh really? And who watches the kids while she is at work??
Whoever she pays to watch them or the dad.

Really it's up to the couple to choose which one works or if both work. As long as they can live happily on one income, they can decide if one should stay home with the kids.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Whoever she pays to watch them or the dad.

Really it's up to the couple to choose which one works or if both work. As long as they can live happily on one income, they can decide if one should stay home with the kids.
I agree couples need to workout whatever is best for them.
But for the sake of argument, if women should be forced to work outside the home, and pay someone to care for the children, or dad does it, should men be forced to work inside the home as well.

Statistics, for what they are worth, show that even with married women working outside the home full time, the women still does the lions share (60>90%) of the domestic chores and childcare. Childcare including being the parent that takes leave time from work to stay home with sick children and take children to appointments. We all know this in itself is often the reason women take lower paying jobs and earn less than men.

I have also watched interviews and read articles where working women on the high end of the income scale whoes husbands are stay at homes have issues which often lead to divorce because their husbands dont uphold the domestic duties and these women end up being breadwinner and homekeeper while their husbands do nothing productive.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
I don't mind if women work as long as we aren't working in the same workplace.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
But if there aren't women in your workplace, who do you get to look down on? Who will make the coffee and clean up the work kitchen?!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:58 PM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
You dont mind if women work as long as its not in your backyard.

How awfully white of you.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree couples need to workout whatever is best for them.
But for the sake of argument, if women should be forced to work outside the home, and pay someone to care for the children, or dad does it, should men be forced to work inside the home as well.

Statistics, for what they are worth, show that even with married women working outside the home full time, the women still does the lions share (60>90%) of the domestic chores and childcare. Childcare including being the parent that takes leave time from work to stay home with sick children and take children to appointments. We all know this in itself is often the reason women take lower paying jobs and earn less than men.

I have also watched interviews and read articles where working women on the high end of the income scale whoes husbands are stay at homes have issues which often lead to divorce because their husbands dont uphold the domestic duties and these women end up being breadwinner and homekeeper while their husbands do nothing productive.
It's probably one of those issues couples should discuss before marrying and before having a family but forget to discuss.

I think most women who work outside the home work because they like to work. If the man doesn't do his share of the housework, maybe they should lower their standards on what has to be done. Maybe he's not making all the beds in the morning but it's not going to harm anyone if the beds aren't made. Or he doesn't fold the towels exactly as she wants them folded so she just takes over and doesn't let him do anything his way.

It's only between the couple I think -- if she wants to work, if they both want to work, it's whatever works out but all couples need to hash these issues out.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
You dont mind if women work as long as its not in your backyard.

How awfully white of you.
I'm not white at all. I just don't believe men and women working in the same workplace would work out too good. How many times you've heard women make unreasonable sexual harassment accusations?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
Let's see....I am in my mid-fifties, am female, married to the same man for 31 yrs. and counting, am a housewife, have not watched a soap opera since I was in high school, don't watch Oprah or any daytime TV...see? I'm working here at my desk and at this forum. Internet only, until hubby is home from work and we watch some news, and a reality TV show, or DIY show together.

I do not wear makeup. I can't stand the idea of smearing something on my face. I get enough sun that it is my makeup. I was a weight-lifter for many years and dumb as it was, a sun-worshipper so sun instead of makeup.

I homeschooled our daughters, three years apart in age, for 13 or so years, again....oh, and I really kept a clean house, and I am our business person. Hubby doesn't even shop for our mortgages, etc.

Nope...not all women that don't work outside the home fit well, ANY of your description.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:
Because that’s what it is about for the majority of women. Feminism (true feminism, one will always have extremists) is all about legal and social rights and equal opportunities. Respect is earned among individuals. I do not believe there is widespread disrespect for men. The majority of men an women get along just fine and prosper as a productive unit.

As far as familial affection, as I see it, with a more equal distribution of parental and gender roles there is much more involvement and affection between fathers and their children. In my day and prior fathers had little interaction and provided little or no intimate care for their children. It was more of an authoritative relationship. Often this same type relationship existed between husband and wife. Now there is more of mutual respect and dependence between spouses. Sure there is more divorce, but all that means is people are not stuck in unhappy and unsafe living situations.

Blaming equal rights for social instability. Really. I think you must mean a decline in social control.

Its too bad so many can not share in mutual respect and embrace equality instead of attacking, withdrawing from and attributing all the worlds social problems on the faction of society they no longer hold control over. Societies are complex and no one aspect is Omnipotence.
reps!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,895 times
Quote:

What kinda job do you have that you don't have women in the workplace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies