Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,754,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
They will rise again, if they are true Christians, but it matters not if they are dust or a dead body.
I was going to say something similar but you beat me to it There are Christians who believe God puts the body back together regardless of what state it's in and then if saved they get a new heavenly cleansed body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,865,021 times
Near my home, just a few blocks away, is the historic Woodlands Cemetery (founded in 1840). Some of the famous people buried there is Admiral Porter of the War Of 1812 fame, the artists Rembrandt Peale and Thomas Eakins, Joseph Campbell the founder of Campbell's Soup Co., the multi-millionaire industrialist Drexel family, etc.

It is not a waste of land because it it a beautiful green space with zillions of sculptures, obelisks, monuments, mausoleums, etc. It is only a couple of blocks from the campus of the University Of Pennsylvania, so on any given day you'll see scores of joggers, tourists, people out for a stroll, dog walkers, even hospital patients because right next door is the VA Hospital and the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is just a couple of blocks away.

It is like a sculpture garden, except dead people are buried there, too.

Believe it or not, there are lots of people out there who like to study cemeteries or just stroll around cemeteries. Some historic cemeteries are major tourist attractions ... such as Pere Lachaise (Paris), La Recoleta (Buenos Aires), Old Jewish Cemetery (Prague), Greenwood (Brooklyn), Oakland (Atlanta), Arlington (Washington, DC - Arlington, VA), Hollywood Forever (LA), Laurel Hill (Philadelphia), St. Louis Cemetery (New Orleans), etc.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,213,800 times
People should have the right to spend as much money as they want on a lavish coffin, funeral, crypt, and any other things they want. Oh, BTW, my son is a mortician, and works on commission.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:59 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,186,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Why do you need to throw that in our faces? Look at your past, then talk.

I hate to break this to you
but I get to say what I want, it is called free speech, you know
like what you are doing
or in you little muddled world is there just you in the looking glass??
LOL
the deal with folks like you is you are a bit self-absorbed
if you only want you view, then you are posting on the wrong sight!!
georgia dem~

Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,160,212 times
I'm a proponent of cremation, but I'm not a proponent of forcing people to do it. People should be able to send their dead off in the manner they see best. Some feel comforted by placing their dead in the ground. Some people aren't okay with burning the remains of their loved ones. Let people do as they wish, according to their beliefs and what they can afford.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,081,970 times
Just another example of some people believing that, because they feel a certain way, everyone else must be made to do as they say. Personally, I am sick and tired of this "nanny" state of mind. If you want to be cremated, be cremated. Leave others alone to make their own choices. People always have an excuse as to why they should be allowed to dictate what others do. Health insurance cost will rise if people eat, smoke or drink what they choose. Their marriages will be destroyed if other people are allowed to love and marry who they choose. Allowing other religions the same freedom as yours will cause problems. Allowing people to express their belief in God will somehow hurt the feelings of those who don't believe in God. Land could be used better than to build homes, businesses, or cemetaries. Etc. etc. etc. What it all boils down to is that they want their way, and only their way to rule others. This is why we will always have wars. People just refuse to mind their own business.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:27 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,001,476 times
Since cremation is against some religious beliefs, it is not a solution for everyone. Also cremation pollutes the air. So it is not a perfect solution either.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 AM

5,636 posts, read 5,051,823 times
Homeless shelters? Parking lots? Salons? Really!!!

All useful stuff, eh?

I want a dedicated masoleum, 6 stories tall, from rare solid granite. With lights, lots of lights. And not these sissy LEDs either - incandescent all the way! And maybe some gas-fueled flaming torches as eternal flames! A huge surrounding parkland which requires regular mowing. No less than 20 acres. And a parking lot, a huge one, where mourners and visitors can park their SUVs before coming inside to view my chemically-preserved body through a crystal coffin, and listening to otherwise useless homeless people reading respectfully from the archive of my C-D posts!

All taxpayer funded, of course.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:16 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,843,411 times
MY WAY: When I die I want to be dropped on the OP's lawn.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 AM

11,014 posts, read 17,394,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I agree with the OP for the most part but I do believe living next door to a cemetery might be kinda peaceful!
My ex and I had some friends who lived with a cemetery against their back fence. They said it didn't bother them a bit and I can see the points they made about it. In a cemetery, it's quiet. Nobody is going to throw wild parties all hours of the night and go running through your yard. In a cemetery, nobody will be knocking at the door wanting to borrow a cup of sugar. They had a long list of these but I can't remember them all.
As far as my opinion of cremation, it doesn't matter to me what the family does to this body. I won't be in it. The body is just a shell you live in while you're on this earth. I'm also big on organ donation. If I'm dead, I won't need them any more. If I have something somebody needs to stay alive, come and get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies