Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the income disparity between the richest Americans and everyone else concern you?
Yes 49 55.68%
No 39 44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,448 times

Advertisements

It has taken our country over 200 years to reach the condition it's in right now. History has a way of repeating it's self. As long as we have people that think like GAisGreat, and can do nothing but babble about who they think is causing the problem, nothing will be better. The jobs are gone because we are not an industrial nation any longer and everything is imported from China at a lower cost. Americans are not willing to work at a lower wage, but Mexican are, Chinese are, many other nationalities are, so they are the ones with jobs making the goods. Remember, the government doesn't produce anything, so every government worker in this country is a burden to the tax payer. Some day the tax payer is going to stop working and paying taxes, then what? So GAisGreat, come up with someone else you can blame, and probably your next post won't make any more sense than your last two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
[/b]
I don't think they will ever get it.

Get what?

What's your solution?

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,017,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not at all. its not a pie that we share. what does concern me is all these kids that have worked hard to get a college education and now cant find jobs. this is so wrong.
stop off shoring our jobs. stop illegal immigration. we need those jobs.
So, these student received high cost educations to work in a factory? To pick tomatoes? To hang dry wall? To work in construction?

You have a responsibility to yourself to get an education in a field that is growing.

Nobody owes a kid with a liberal arts degree a job, just because they spent a lot of money and earned a degree.

Life is tough....wear a helmet!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It has been going on for quite sometime, however the gap has completely exploded over the last 30 years.
the gap is growing WORLD WIDE..to include some of the most 'liberal' countries

has NOTHING to do with american politics

Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,448 times
Default Income disparity: cause for concern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, these student received high cost educations to work in a factory? To pick tomatoes? To hang dry wall? To work in construction?

You have a responsibility to yourself to get an education in a field that is growing.

Nobody owes a kid with a liberal arts degree a job, just because they spent a lot of money and earned a degree.

Life is tough....wear a helmet!
I agree. Too many kids today think we owe them something, they have been taught to think they are special. You deserve what you work for, nothing more.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
[/b]
I don't think they will ever get it.
Well, it's obvious that you don't 'get it'.

Where do you think jobs come from? Who creates jobs? Hint: It isn't government.

What kind of people start a business? Do poor people with no money start businesses (sometime it happens, but it isn't the most likely).

I'll give you some help here: Study the history of Apple Computer. That is one of the best case studies I can think of.

To summarize, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were pretty regular guys (smart, but not unlike many other people working every day). They both loved electronics, and they were interested in computers. They belonged to a computer club. Skipping ahead, they developed a computer that all there friends wanted. It was in kit form at first. It was the "Apple I". Demand for this grew, and they started selling them through a local hobby shop or electronics shop. But as demand grew, they didn't have money enough to buy the parts to keep up with the demand. They sought out a loan, which wasn't easy for them to get, but finally a bank (I think it was B of A) agreed to loan them money. Apple Computer was born. The rest is history.

Now, how many people do you think Apple Computer employs today? How many people do you think Steve and Steve made "rich" (besides themselves)? How many people did they employ, who perhaps were not "rich" made a damn good living by working for Apple?

Remember, every one of these people pays taxes, too. Including Apple, the Company, and Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak.

Did they "give back" (I never understand why liberals think that corporations don't "give back" enough). You becha (I know you liberals hate that, because Sarah Palin says it)!

Look at all the fine products they "gave back". Look how they benefited lives and the way we communicate. Is that not "giving back"? They literally changed the world.

Now, learn that lesson well. That is a prime example of "trickle down".

Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,734,011 times
The notion that government jobs are not real jobs is just ridiculous. Tell that to Collin Powell and Neil Armstrong. Now, we don't want everyone in government jobs, but certainly the public sector provides plenty of middle class jobs for school teachers, firemen, police officers, and the like that pump the money right back into the economy. Workers in Bangladesh do not. And the corporate types earn so much more than they need to spend, they just invest in Wall Street. The largest slice of the budget in almost government agencies is middle class jobs.

This ideological BS that people are always spewing makes no sense. We need to find a mixed economy with a balanced approach, not aim to emulate Somalia or 16th century Europe.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,405,802 times
That evil CEO who invest all that evil money (unless it's yours) on wall street (where most people's retirements are)noisy doesn't deserve it (because your jealousy just can't wrap your mind around how someone can get into a position like that).

Release the hounds...

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,616,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
You are free to invest in the stock market as well, and at much more favorable income tax rate than the rich. You are not being impeded on making money just because someone else is making money. What is "simply mindless" is complaining rather than taking steps to improve your financial outlook.
so the justification for having a broken and corrupt financial system, is that anyone can participate?

i think having a broken and corrupt financial system is the problem. income inequality is a product of that.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,616,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindlemeister View Post
It absolutely concerns me. Wealth concentration is a problem. I'm not speaking as a liberal either. (I feel the need to repeat this for the benefit of my critics who use the term carelessly when responding to a viewpoint they might not agree with.)

Yes, I'm a moderate. In fact, I'll even cite Kevin Phillips, erstwhile Republican strategist and the author of the book "American Theocracy." This longtime conservative had the perfect metaphor which best captures the problem at hand. He used the metaphor of an old man with poor circulation to best represent our beleaguered country. The wealth is concentrating itself in only a few places, much like the blood of the "old man" which isn't circulating properly, thus causing him problems of mobility, cognition, etc. Our nation has become that "old man." The wealth isn't moving much. The country is suffering with "poor circulation," if you will.

And I'm not advocating a solution involving wealth redistribution (especially since so many people on the right are averse to such an idea). Of course, progressives argue that wealth redistribution has been happening for years anyway to the benefit of a powerful plutocracy, and that's why we have this problem of income disparity.

Both sides should stop being so obstinate and work together to get things moving again. Everyone's so wrapped up in their ideologies that no one will give an inch. And while both sides fight, the bankers and executives -- the guys who took all those bundled mortgages and sold them to investors -- continue to party with complete impunity. (And remember, they bet against those same mortgage-backed securities.)

I notice a lot of folks are bashing hippies and protestors. And, truth be told, if those in the Occupation are engaging in lawless behavior, they should be arrested. But I noticed, in some threads at this site, that there is an alarming lack of indignation directed towards the bankers and executives who bet against the very junk they sold to investors. I see a lot of hippie-bashing. Now, I'm not an apologist for the hippies, but THEY didn't plunge the nation into a recession. Those damn companies couldn't deal with the problem on their own, so they took the bailouts courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Hippies versus pathological executives? The hippies don't bother me one whit. They're a little annoying at times, but hippie-bashers are COMPLETELY pathetic. With all these bankers, con-artists and financial sorcerers running amok, it seems surreal to get all fired up over a bunch of patchouli soaked elves. Plus, it's easy to target pacifists. And it's pretty weak, if you ask me. My message to the hippie-bashers: Try focusing that over-the-top angst at more deserving targets.

i agree. i think some people do not understand what is going on at the Federal Reserve, at the monetary level. People don't like to talk about it.

wealth redistribution is already occuring. every time the Federal Reserve prints reserves and lends it to the banking system, that is our money they are using.

Quote:
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/09...ed-capitalism/
In other words, what’s wrong with advanced Capitalism cannot be fixed by taxing the super-wealthy at the same rate we self-employed pay (40% basic Federal rate), though that would certainly be a fair and just step in the right direction. Advanced Capitalism’s ills run much deeper than superficial “class warfare” models in which the “solution” is to redistribute wealth from the top down the pyramid.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 11-02-2011 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies