Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes you can. There are plenty of Muslims who would never even think of doing something as awful as FGM, let alone things that are even 1/10th as awful. You can take extreme cases from any religion to make it look bad. But most followers are moderate or are forced to be extreme under a government--something they didn't choose. So yes, you can be pro-Islam and a feminist.
Its funny how liberals defend Muslims (most of whom are probably relatively harmless and contribute to society more than they take) but BLAST billionaires (most of whom are probably relatively harmless and contribute to society more than they take).

Liberal values are very elastic depending on the subject at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I don't think many liberals would last long under a Muslim theocracy. Conservatives would not like the notion of sharing their wealth either. But just because they don't like it, conservatives believe liberals do.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Its funny how liberals defend Muslims (most of whom are probably relatively harmless and contribute to society more than they take) but BLAST billionaires (most of whom are probably relatively harmless and contribute to society more than they take).

You've devolved your conversation to compare religion and politics.
This is the reason why there should never, under any circumstances, be religion involved in any politics.

What the heck are you trying to say? Apples/cardboard boxes do not a comparison make.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
I have always wondered why liberal feminists in particular never criticize Islam and the horrible way they treat women. My guess is that to liberals anything non-Western is by default superior. So in the clash of competing politically correct concepts, in this case feminism vs. non-western culture, non-western wins out.

I have also developed a theory on why feminists never say anything negative about the burqa or will even take the position of defending it. This would appear shocking at first glance, the burqa should be symbolic of everything they are against. But to organized feminists (who tend not to be very attractive to put it nicely) the most oppressive role a woman can be in is "sex object". They are secretly attracted to the burqa because it makes women equal...they all look bad in it, not sex objects by any means.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:

Unlike your values that are so one dimensional that you've put all Liberals in one box without interviewing them all to see if they truly do represent your negative description, If we are going on general descriptions of Islam i dont see much difference between left or right ways of thinking about the issue as most Americans dont have a clue what Islam is all about.
We can agree on some aspects of Islam being incomprehensible to western ways of thinking.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Lightbulb Sorry Liberals But Some Aspects of Islam are TRULY SICK...

Probably true of any religion, not just islam.

Time for mankind to put aside ancient middle east creation myths: islam, judaism, christianity.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:02 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
For Young Women, A Horrifying Consequence Of Mubarak

You can't be a feminist and pro-Islam.

You simply can't.
Well, your post said it is a 3000 year old tradition, and therefore existed 1500 years before Islam. It also says it is widley used in the Egypt Christian community. And Jews and Christians mutilate boys in the US. Just sayin.....

Old 10-31-2011, 06:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have always wondered why liberal feminists in particular never criticize Islam and the horrible way they treat women. My guess is that to liberals anything non-Western is by default superior. So in the clash of competing politically correct concepts, in this case feminism vs. non-western culture, non-western wins out.

I have also developed a theory on why feminists never say anything negative about the burqa or will even take the position of defending it. This would appear shocking at first glance, the burqa should be symbolic of everything they are against. But to organized feminists (who tend not to be very attractive to put it nicely) the most oppressive role a woman can be in is "sex object". They are secretly attracted to the burqa because it makes women equal...they all look bad in it, not sex objects by any means.
Do you even know any women?

Old 10-31-2011, 06:09 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:

It is a Christian duty to love your neighbor, and that includes people who do not share your religion or political party. As a matter of fact, it is the greatest commandment of Jesus Christ. You are spreading false accusation and judgment against your neighbor (the muslims and your fellow Americans), and I think you need to look in the mirror and ask what motivates you to behave in this manner.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Wow. I think that takes the "stupidest post of the day" award. So much ignorance about liberals I don't even know where to start.
It is best to start at the beginning. Your core beliefs are those of Stalin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies