Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 PM

37 posts, read 25,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
How do you buy American??????????? At the supermarket nearly everything is imported from China.
I just said I go to local farmer's at farmer's markets. I buy eggs, meat, fruit and veggies, as well as breads, jams, coffee, soaps and more there. Look into your local farmer's markets. You might be really surprised at all they have to offer. It's fresher, local, you are aware from whom you are buying directly, and I believe for all of these reasons it tastes better too! It is also more economical because you're not paying for shipping all over thye world.

As a farmer told me recently, "When farms are bought and parking lots are put up, or strip malls, you'll never get that farm that once was in that spot back." Think of how much prettier it is to see a farm rather than a parking lot or strip mall, and support local American farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 03:01 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Yes, but sadly they are a dying breed- the farms in NE Tennessee are being decimated by real estate developers right now.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
I try to avoid buying stuff made in China... best as I can. For food I buy from local farmers markets or health food stores that carry local produce. Dairy products used come from Vermont and we don't eat meat. If I need to buy gifts I buy from local artists or craftspeople when I can. If I buy foreign produced items, I try to buy fair trade stuff, like today, I bought a beautiful skirt that was made in Guatemala by a group of women that get a fair wage. The skirt costs more than one made in some sweat shop, but to me it is worth it. Can we avoid all sweat shop made stuff or made in China items? Probably not, but every bit helps, IMO.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
The government sadly to say seems bent on also deregulating the food industry as everything else- or having a 'look the other way' lax attitude.

The conservative revolution wanted massive deregulation-and they got it- now the rest of us (including out beloved pets) have to pay the price.

Also Chinese food products are entering the country everywhere- the quality and safety of this food is questionable- a wrong time to lower standards here.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:31 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
and make sure the borders were forever open if they ever had to do that
Actually, they don't want you following them into China.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The government sadly to say seems bent on also deregulating the food industry as everything else- or having a 'look the other way' lax attitude.

The conservative revolution wanted massive deregulation-and they got it- now the rest of us (including out beloved pets) have to pay the price.

Also Chinese food products are entering the country everywhere- the quality and safety of this food is questionable- a wrong time to lower standards here.
Yes and kids and animals are at risk...every night on loudobbs.com he presents the recalls for childrens toys and pet food (not to mention where some seafood is coming from-lol) I know if I want to buy lobster, and it is stamped from Bangladesh, I will not buy it. It seems none of our food supply is protected now- what is the government doing about this???

Yet we still hear bs and rhetoric about- jobs Americans won't do.......

Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I tried to buy a coffee grinder and could only find Made in China. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of small appliances MADE IN USA??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies