Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
There were 34 new countries created since 1990, so I don't know what your point is. And I am not going to debate whether Palestinians have the right to a state - that's not my point.

My beef is this: US was in the game (called UN/UNESCO) willingly. It did not like the outcome of the game. So it tried to intimidate/destroy the game financially.

It's like someone wins the Superbowl, and you snatch the trophy and break it and bankrupt the entire NFL. WTF?!
UNESCO, only an agency within the United Nations, took it upon themselves to RECOGNIZE a Palestinian state, a state that does not exist. All the other states/countries you referenced have boundaries and governments, and have been recognized by other states/countries. Palestine has no boundaries, and hasn't been formally recognized by ANYONE except an AGENCY within the United Nations.

Who will UNESCO recognize next,...the Mexican drug cartels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM

78,271 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Quote:
There were 34 new countries created since 1990, so I don't know what your point is. And I am not going to debate whether Palestinians have the right to a state - that's not my point.

My beef is this: US was in the game (called UN/UNESCO) willingly. It did not like the outcome of the game. So it tried to intimidate/destroy the game financially.

It's like someone wins the Superbowl, and you snatch the trophy and break it and bankrupt the entire NFL. WTF?!
You forget that a number of nations have veto power, thus your example is quite frankly retarded.

We may not LIKE what occurs but it is what it is and the UN is a freaking joke top to bottom.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:36 PM

255 posts, read 513,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You forget that a number of nations have veto power, thus your example is quite frankly retarded.

We may not LIKE what occurs but it is what it is and the UN is a freaking joke top to bottom.
Your reply is retarded. Explain how the veto comes into play here?

US can either quit the UN or accept the vote. Anything beyond that is playing outside the rules, and is simply unsportsmanlike.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
UNESCO, only an agency within the United Nations, took it upon themselves to RECOGNIZE a Palestinian state, a state that does not exist. All the other states/countries you referenced have boundaries and governments, and have been recognized by other states/countries. Palestine has no boundaries, and hasn't been formally recognized by ANYONE except an AGENCY within the United Nations.

Who will UNESCO recognize next,...the Mexican drug cartels?
If the Palestinian state doesn't exist, why do we care?

And, what was the United States before 1776? Did it have boundaries? Did it have a government? I tell you what we were - we were rebels back then fighting our own British government. We were the present-day Palestinian people fighting the state of Israel to establish our own state!

So stop being so righteous.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:

And, what was the United States before 1776? Did it have boundaries? Did it have a government? I tell you what we were - we were rebels back then fighting our own British government. We were the present-day Palestinian people fighting the state of Israel to establish our own state!

I didn't realize the United Nations existed in 1776.

The United NATIONS is composed of,...you guessed it,.....NATIONS!!!

Palestine ain't one.

Case closed.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:

If you don't understand how the UN functions maybe you should do some reading on the subject. According to you, UNESCO (solely an agency within the UN) should have the right to recognize whom they wish, whether the General Assembly or the Security Council agrees or not.

Personally, I prefer that the United States withhold funds from UNESCO and abide by our own laws AT LEAST until there is a vote on Palestinian recognition by the General Assembly and Security Council.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Your reply is retarded. Explain how the veto comes into play here?

US can either quit the UN or accept the vote. Anything beyond that is playing outside the rules, and is simply unsportsmanlike.
You have an active imagination with regards to voting.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
If you don't understand how the UN functions maybe you should do some reading on the subject. According to you, UNESCO (solely an agency within the UN) should have the right to recognize whom they wish, whether the General Assembly or the Security Council agrees or not.

Personally, I prefer that the United States withhold funds from UNESCO and abide by our own laws AT LEAST until there is a vote on Palestinian recognition by the General Assembly and Security Council.
Wow. you mean they haven't voted yet? Our local savant^-1 seems to think they already did.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Don't put words in my mouth! UNESCO is accepting a full membership of Palestinians. UNESCO stands for United Nations Education, Scientific, and Cultural Organization - it says nothing about recognizing a state.

What the US law demands is what our government has to do. However, it doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.

Maybe it is better for US to pull funding from UNESCO. Obviously, the US did not benefit from UNESCO, as its response and your answers show a lack of educated response and a lack of respect to differing cultures, just because there isn't a state to represent them.

If anything, we should be more sympathetic to the stateless people of Palestine.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You have an active imagination with regards to voting.
There is no veto in UNESCO voting, only in UN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies