Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
Funny timing on that smoke free thing.
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. It so predictable it's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:42 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Seems high but it wouldn't surprise me if regular church goers had longer expected lifespan than average, the ones I know that regularly attend church aren't exactly the rip roaring partying type and more likely to lead a quiet type lifestyle.
You raise a good point.

The 10 years longer lifespan doesn't mean that 100 out of 100 people are living to 90 instead of 80. It could also mean that 20 people out of 100 are living to 80 instead of 30.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Is this medical test that declared him smoke free or just taking it on his word? If it's real medical test it would be interesting to see how long you would have to remain smoke free to be deemed medically smoke free.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I often wonder why such information is released to the public and when did this start? Working at a hospital, I know how serious an offense it is for a patient's medical information to be released to the public. The President probably has to give the OK for such information to be released, no matter how insignificant it may seem. I never saw where a sitting US President's physical was anyone's business except between him, his doctor, and his family.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I never saw where a sitting US President's physical was anyone's business except between him, his doctor, and his family.
I'm pretty sure it's common for them to release information, usually not a very big news story. If I remember correctly during the Reagen presidency since his age was such a concern it was widely reported. The focus on Cheney's health was pretty big.

Having said that I have doubts if there was major issue it would be released.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm pretty sure it's common for them to release information, usually not a very big news story. If I remember correctly during the Reagen presidency since his age was such a concern it was widely reported. The focus on Cheney's health was pretty big.

Having said that I have doubts if there was major issue it would be released.
But was this the standard practice when FDR was president? Most of the public didn't know he used a wheelchair.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
But was this the standard practice when FDR was president? Most of the public didn't know he used a wheelchair.
I'm aware of that, If my understanding is correct there is very few images or film of him in a wheelchair. Different times then, the news media had different boundaries they didn't cross.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Good for him. It's hard to kick bad habits when you're under the kind of stress he's been under.
yeah...I would imagine that being in a job that you have no clue how to do would be stressful.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default Obama releases his medical records....see it doesn't hurt

"Obama's physical exam shows that he is now 'tobacco-free' "

No one cares.

Well perhaps the people who benefited from the cigarette tax might be saddened by the news.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Weird.

I'm not sure what your point is - that smoking "only" takes 7-10 years off your life, which at my age sounds like a pretty darn good reason to not smoke (I'm not a smoker - never have been) or that we should be outraged that President Obama doesn't have a regular church?

And can you provide a link to some credible source to back up your claim that regular church attendance adds 7-10 years to one's life expectancy? If it does, I may just have to get my atheist butt to church.
Weird that you think it's weird!!

Sorry that you don't understand the point. I'll try to restate it for you: We as a society have become fixated on smoking as a great evil, when there are so many other health factors that are important.

I'm a runner and non-smoker, and also an atheist by the way. I would not be surprised if my running adds as many years to my life as quitting smoking (if he really did it) did for Pres. Obama. Hopefully we will not be devoting news cycles to the running routines of presidential candidates anytime soon.

There are tons of these life expectancy studies out there. I heard about the church thing on one of those 'ask the doctor' shows. I don't remember who or where the study was from, but the doctor discussing the study noted that the increased lifespan from church attendance was about equal to the decreased lifespan from smoking found in other studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies