Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Sadly, you are absolutely correct. How can anyone defend this? Disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Absolutely, and I believe some people are less evolved than others. Reasoning skills and compassion are examples of more evolved species. Just saying...don't take it personally.
Well since we evolved, we evolved from the same principle that other species evolved, survival of the fittest, nature's culling. It's a cruel world you know. As far as nature, compassion would be a silly emotion, pure fluff. If we are simply products of nature, we cannot exit ourselves from it, just decide to get all sentimental and change the rules.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Yeah, its why I don't come here much. So many posts here are ignorant and mean. I didn't read all the gazillion posts in this thread, but while I've noticed many posts whining about the cost to the working class, no one seems to have addressed how the big corps and the wealthy few have escaped any real financial accountability as citizens of a once great nation. Repeal the Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy and the criminal financial outfits, and the burden on the working class would be significantly less.

That aside, I'm back here to bring glad tidings to those who consider the disabled as expendable human beings if they consider them at all.

Come November 23rd the draconian cuts to the social safety net will go into effect. The only question is will the draconian automatic cuts go into effect or will the draconian cuts of corporate congress win the day?

This entire argument about SSI will be moot. The hypothetical 19 year old gets about $670.00 a month from SSI. Out of this he gets to pay for housing, food, and medical care. The basics. It can't be done. So most low income disabled are forced to rely on housing vouchers and Medicaid for their treatment and medicines.

Congress is going to end the Medicaid program one way or the other. The hypocrisy of this is stunning. Congress has voted its sorry self free medical care for the rest of its members' lives. Yet it has decided to end medical care for low income disabled. OK, I know most every one here will defend free health care for congress to the death while consigning the disabled to the grave.

Well, rejoice, all ye mean of spirit! What do you think happens to a disabled person who can't get treatment or medicine? They're gonna die, that's what. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but they WILL die. And, no. Hospitals and doctors will not treat someone for free, no matter how dire the need. Yeah, an ER will put a band aid on you, but they won't give you chemo for your cancer. In fact, they're pretty much like most of you here. They'll do nothing, nada, zip.

So happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas, you all. Poof! Problem solved.

This place makes me ashamed to be a human being. I'm outta here.
I am so happy you have made this post my thoughts exactly. It seems everyone seems to think people receiving SSI or SSDI are getting more than they really are. They are living below poverty levels.

To those who really need it, my heart felt sorrow goes out to them for sometime they must decide whether to eat or buy their medications.

What a sad state of a mess we have here. Can't you have more compassion for others in need, you never it may be you someday in that wheelchair or needing chemo to help keep themselves alive and needing SSDI!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Unfortunately that would be complicated since many conditions and causes of disability have been identified sine 1965. People who did need it didn't get it cause their illness wasn't understood, but today it is. It's also not safe to assume the rate of disability stays the same. Any genetic causes of disability would be passed down and grow overtime along with the general population. Wars, natural disasters, and terrorism all result in disability as well. (A lot of the Iraq war veterans, Katrina survivors, and 9/11 survivors have disabilities.) Other factors would make it extremely hard to predict the amount of fraud.
Exactly. They keep adding "new" disabilities, things like headaches, not feeling like getting out of bed in the morning. And of course now even choosing to use drugs and drink your days away are considered disabilities.

That's my whole point, since 1965, a whole lot more disabilities were made up and added. There is a whole lot of fraud and scamming going on. We need to throw all the bums off these welfare programs, stop allowing the whole world to come here and get in on them.

There is no way we can provide all those who don't feel like working for a living their nice life of no work.

I think to start, anyone who cannot live on their own may need help, but all those living in their own households, living without nursing care should be able to get off their duffs and get to work.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Unfortunately that would be complicated since many conditions and causes of disability have been identified sine 1965. People who did need it didn't get it cause their illness wasn't understood, but today it is. It's also not safe to assume the rate of disability stays the same. Any genetic causes of disability would be passed down and grow overtime along with the general population. Wars, natural disasters, and terrorism all result in disability as well. (A lot of the Iraq war veterans, Katrina survivors, and 9/11 survivors have disabilities.) Other factors would make it extremely hard to predict the amount of fraud.
Not to mention, that many of the people who would be productive members of society today, were locked away in institutions and asylums in the 50s and 60s.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well since we evolved, we evolved from the same principle that other species evolved, survival of the fittest, nature's culling. It's a cruel world you know. As far as nature, compassion would be a silly emotion, pure fluff. If we are simply products of nature, we cannot exit ourselves from it, just decide to get all sentimental and change the rules.
We are human beings. We are capable of compassion, critical thinking, etc. I think your comparison to the animal world is silly, unfounded and reaching. You are trying to connect dots that will result in nothing.

How far are you will to extend this evolutionary theory of yours? Cancer patients? People who break bones? War victims?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
I am so happy you have made this post my thoughts exactly. It seems everyone seems to think people receiving SSI or SSDI are getting more than they really are. They are living below poverty levels.

To those who really need it, my heart felt sorrow goes out to them for sometime they must decide whether to eat or buy their medications.

What a sad state of a mess we have here. Can't you have more compassion for others in need, you never it may be you someday in that wheelchair or needing chemo to help keep themselves alive and needing SSDI!
They don't need to be compassionate. They have their pat little evolutionary theories!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Not to mention, that many of the people who would be productive members of society today, were locked away in institutions and asylums in the 50s and 60s.
They aren't productive members of society if they're living on welfare handouts.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. They keep adding "new" disabilities, things like headaches, not feeling like getting out of bed in the morning. And of course now even choosing to use drugs and drink your days away are considered disabilities.

That's my whole point, since 1965, a whole lot more disabilities were made up and added. There is a whole lot of fraud and scamming going on. We need to throw all the bums off these welfare programs, stop allowing the whole world to come here and get in on them.

There is no way we can provide all those who don't feel like working for a living their nice life of no work.

I think to start, anyone who cannot live on their own may need help, but all those living in their own households, living without nursing care should be able to get off their duffs and get to work.
I will ask you again since you seem to be dodging the question. Please provide hard evidence backing up your assertions. You are making these wild, erroneous claims and are not validating them with a shred of evidence.

Which disabilities are fraudulent?

You think that being able to live without nursing care equates to being able to hold down a FT job. Seriously? It is quite obvious you haven't a clue of what you are talking about.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I made the thread so easy that even a person with ADHD could follow. The hypothetical that I posted in the OP is a disability that most would agree is a real disability. Are their questionable disabilities, fraud...certainly, but that is not the point of the thread. The point is whether people with REAL disabilities should receive these benefits? Now, can you answer that question?
Yes, I believe SS should be used to provide housing, medical care, food and heat/cooling for the truely disabled and ill.

If not SS, then, let's create a true " Long Term Disability Fund" for such people.

Every civilized, intelligent, educated, advanced society provides for and takes care: of their elderly, their children and their disabled/ill.

Key words being "Civilized " and " Intelligent".

We can start by using the money our corrupt congressman and politicians donate every year to Middle Eastern countries. Cut off all Federal money being given to Pakistan, Palenstine (allegedly already in the process of being done), Israel and every other middle eastern country. Put the money back into America!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies