Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,256,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
ummm, they admitted to it.

1. they can elect to have a judge listen and rule, there doesn't have to be a jury trial for this particular crime.

2. They already admitted to it, which is why guilt was implied on my post.

The excuse "I forgot" is probably not going to work, since it's technically shoplifting to eat a product not paid for in the first place.
The State will have to prove intent.

There was no anit-sampling sign posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,849,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Stores need to draw a line somewhere on theft and the general retardedness of some shoppers. Go to the grocery store sometime and see the fresh and frozen food, dairy and meat that nitwits decide they don't want and just leave laying on a shelf somewhere. I'd arrest those morons for shoplifting. And then you find stolen food, open packages, empty bottles, cherry pits, grape stems, nut shells, chicken bones, its disgusting. These two year olds in adults bodies need to learn that you pay for it first and it isn't free. Maybe if many have actually had to pay for food they wouldn't be so careless about wasting it. You could fill a food bank with what people leave to get ruined at one grocery store and we all end up paying for it.
I'd have let her go after making her pay for the sandwich but I hope the judge gives her a tongue lashing and then chews out her lawyer for wasting the courts time.
No argument from me about anything you've written here. I work at Wal Mart and, yes, we see this every single day. Food and "other stuff" just left all over the store wherever they were when they decided they didn't want it. As a cashier I can't tell you how many empty drink containers, deli bags, candy wrappers, etc. I scan and toss every day. My trash can is full of it. We also see a lot of that left all over the store too so there are people out there who do get a free meal, evidently. OTOH I've also had customers come back into the store with items that got missed at checkout and pay for them. It renews my faith in humanity every time that happens.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 PM

529 posts, read 362,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Feed the kids before you go out shopping. It's wrong to teach the kids to steal, to eat food they didn't pay for and kids are no excuse to shoplift.

I applaud the stores that keep costs down for the paying customers and prefer them to the ones who do nothing about shoplifters except pass on the costs to those who do pay.

I also have kids and I don't let them eat anything that wasn't already paid for. No one was on the edge of starving to death, kids can learn a little delayed gratification.
We pay for the food they eat it then we pay for it. Its not stealing. Its called doing things on the run.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM

529 posts, read 362,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient1 View Post
For F*** sake;. People have been having kids and raising them for untold thousands of years and there are probably a dozen or more cases of parents not letting the kids starve to death without teaching them to be little thieves . Some of us have gone our entitre lives without having to pig out at a grocery store. You want to eat, the place you want is called a restaurant. How about a little planning ahead. How about a little personal responsibility.

So they both "Forgot" to pay? How convienient. Book-em Danno
Did I say pig out brilliant one? No I did not. Plus what I do with my kids is none of your business I pay for EVERYTHING my kids may snack on while we are in the store. You don't like it go complain to someone who cares. K.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:22 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,284,582 times
What kind of retard goes into a store, opens up a product and proceeds to eat it without paying for it in the first place? Seems like some sort of low-class urban trash thing, can't say that I've noticed it in my area. If I were hungry...I'd get my product, go PAY FOR IT, eat it somewhere outside the store, or perhaps in an area away from product (how sanitary can it be to walk around the store eating in the first place?), then go shopping. Things must be different in other parts of the country.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,967,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What kind of retard goes into a store, opens up a product and proceeds to eat it without paying for it in the first place? Seems like some sort of low-class urban trash thing, can't say that I've noticed it in my area. If I were hungry...I'd get my product, go PAY FOR IT, eat it somewhere outside the store, or perhaps in an area away from product (how sanitary can it be to walk around the store eating in the first place?), then go shopping. Things must be different in other parts of the country.
People with children mostly. I've opened many crackers to feed on to a fussy child while shopping and pay for it at the register. I'm not retarded or low class trash, but I've done this.

There are some folks who are just not good people who will eat/drink and leave things on the sheves. I've reported it before because once I saw a crazy looking man drink from a bottle of gatorade then put it back on the shelf. Crazy is crazy.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,284,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People with children mostly. I've opened many crackers to feed on to a fussy child while shopping and pay for it at the register. I'm not retarded or low class trash, but I've done this.

There are some folks who are just not good people who will eat/drink and leave things on the sheves. I've reported it before because once I saw a crazy looking man drink from a bottle of gatorade then put it back on the shelf. Crazy is crazy.
Why not pay for the product, before consuming it? It doesn't seem that difficult. I guess I can see if you're at a store where you know the cashiers or managers, and if they're cool with it...though I don't know that I'd want a kid eating while going through the store...just doesn't seem that clean to me.

In the OP...weren't these ADULTS?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:36 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,910,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
Pregnant mom says sandwich arrest was 'horrifying' - Yahoo! News

What a bunch of *******s safeway is. This happens all the time you don't get arrested christ. It has happened to me when the kids get hungry we let them snack on grapes or something sometimes you simply forget to put it on the belt for them to scan.They wouldn't have to worry about banning me for a year I would never shop their again and would sue them as well.
So you let them eat items that are sold by weight before going through check out? That IS called stealing. Why should the store lose money because you didn't give your kids a snack before grocery shopping? Or leave them at home?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,910,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
Did I say pig out brilliant one? No I did not. Plus what I do with my kids is none of your business I pay for EVERYTHING my kids may snack on while we are in the store. You don't like it go complain to someone who cares. K.
But you said here:

It has happened to me when the kids get hungry we let them snack on grapes or something sometimes you simply forget to put it on the belt for them to scan.

Which is it? Do you sometimes forget or always pay? You certainly don't pay for the produce you have eaten, maybe just what didn't make it down your gullet.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,274,978 times
I can't really imagine eating something while shopping but then neither can I imagine taking a little kid from its mother over a $5.00 sandwich. The mom was a slob and Safeway is Orwellian. I gues the Nicole Leszczynskis and Safeways of this world are made for each other.

Last edited by wutitiz; 11-01-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies