Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:02 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,227,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
Placards and license plates on:

low lying sports cars - corvettes, vipers, porsche, etc
lifted trucks, jeeps and other off-road vehicles

If you can get in one of these, shouldn't there be a restriction on issuing a handicap placard or plate?

I mean...driving is a privilege, not a right.

i love it when a hoss climbs out of a sports car, rolls into a store and hops on a motorized cart....how about those with real injuries, disabilities or the elderly?

Yo there! As i stated in the original thread. I am severely gimped up and i have two 4wd vehicles. One is an S-10 pick up and the other is a full size Bronco that is stock height and it is a ***** for me to climb into but i love that old truck and have had it for years and it was a ***** to climb up into from day one. It is my right to drive what i want and you just seem to be a jealous person thinking that people with disabilities should lead such mediocre lives. Your time is coming Sonny! Don't worry i won't rag on you or laugh at you either.

I had a water patrol officer inspect my little jon boat with a 5 hp motor and the young fellow told me he thought i had no business out on the lake. I guess he thought i should just stay at home and watch TV. I just listened to his drivel and went my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times
Quote:
Placards and license plates on:

low lying sports cars - corvettes, vipers, porsche, etc
lifted trucks, jeeps and other off-road vehicles

If you can get in one of these, shouldn't there be a restriction on issuing a handicap placard or plate?

I mean...driving is a privilege, not a right.

i love it when a hoss climbs out of a sports car, rolls into a store and hops on a motorized cart....how about those with real injuries, disabilities or the elderly?
Just wait until obesity is rewarded with a social security check every month. We already do so with bad parenting (ADHD), it's only a matter of time.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,777,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just wait until obesity is rewarded with a social security check every month. We already do so with bad parenting (ADHD), it's only a matter of time.
ADHD is caused by bad parenting??? Interesting because research hasn't actually figured out what the cause is, but is drawing towards the possibility that it could be genetic. You might want to contact CDC and let them know to stop wasting all that money on research as you have the answer.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,277,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Yo there! As i stated in the original thread. I am severely gimped up and i have two 4wd vehicles. One is an S-10 pick up and the other is a full size Bronco that is stock height and it is a ***** for me to climb into but i love that old truck and have had it for years and it was a ***** to climb up into from day one. It is my right to drive what i want and you just seem to be a jealous person thinking that people with disabilities should lead such mediocre lives. Your time is coming Sonny! Don't worry i won't rag on you or laugh at you either.

I had a water patrol officer inspect my little jon boat with a 5 hp motor and the young fellow told me he thought i had no business out on the lake. I guess he thought i should just stay at home and watch TV. I just listened to his drivel and went my way.
And I'll chime in again (did on the other thread, too). I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, and need to use a cane or other support in stores. My car is a 2001 Ford ZX2, low-slung, and it's easier for me to get in and out of than a higher vehicle, due to my hip issues.

Judgmental OP is judgmental.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I would never park in a handicap spot and I'm not concerned by those who do, but I have to ask
...how long have you been a physician?
10 years.

One of my favorite stories - 45 year old woman in ED for a fall. We see she's on medicare.

We ask, "Why are you on medicare at 45?"

She says, "Oh, I'm disabled."

"Oh, I'm sorry," we say. "So, how did you fall?"

"Dancing on a table."

MF.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,227,366 times
Quote:
you miss the forest for the trees?

we can run through the entire list of ADA "diasbilities".....

if you can crawl or climb out of a low lying sports car or jacked up rig, then you are physically capable of parking anywhere else on the lot and not taking up a handicap spot

btw....i do judge you for buying an apple.

be a real man an learn how to piece together and build your own cumputer!
TROLL:"if you can crawl or climb out of a low lying sports car or jacked up rig, then you are physically capable of parking anywhere else on the lot and not taking up a handicap spot."

Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,454,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Tried to rep you. I think mental deficiency is a disability, under-diagnosed, and clearly many suffer from such. If only they could overcome their disability they may be able to create a life for themselves.

Kudos to those businesses that recognize and accommodate people who overcome their disabilities as those who face challenges in life and overcome them are by far stronger people than those that have been blessed without experiencing the same. But, having said that, the most able bodied person in good health can end up in a car accident, no fault of their own, or any other accidental situation, or have their system attacked with disease, and find themself in a wheelchair for the rest of their life. People who enjoy good health never think that it could be taken away from them.

I know two people who lived happy healthy lives. One lost an eye through an accident and the other, a young girl of about 28 years of age, is a parapalegic due to a car accident. Neither are bitter people and make the best of each day. It amazes me how healthy people can be bitter over other peoples health issues which they know nothing about.
I agree. Many mental illnesses are disabling as well, though I don't think they're relevant when it comes to handicap parking.

I'm just surprised the complainers don't feel lucky that they don't need the handicap spot to begin with. Would they rather be paraplegic or blind and need the spot? I just don't understand what goes through these people's heads.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 AM

78,281 posts, read 60,492,074 times
Fail thread. Chock full of stupid.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Handicap spots aren't about being PC. They're about the logistics of getting from Point A to Point B with a disability.

Maybe people should research a little before they start the next hate-on-the-disabled CD thread.
The OP wasn't talking about real disability such as no legs and no arms.

It's the frauds, there are more frauds on disability than are true cases. Now just being too fat makes you disabled. Those who would benefit the most by walking a few steps prefer to ride around in motorized carts -- too lazy to even walk a little to get some more food.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,454,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The OP wasn't talking about real disability such as no legs and no arms.

It's the frauds, there are more frauds on disability than are true cases. Now just being too fat makes you disabled. Those who would benefit the most by walking a few steps prefer to ride around in motorized carts -- too lazy to even walk a little to get some more food.
You're assuming they're fat first and disabled second. Many people become fat as a result of disability. If you're paraplegic or quadriplegic, or have severe chronic pain or very arthritic joints, or take medications that mess up your hormones, all of those can make exercising and maintaining one's weight extremely difficult. Also, if you're on SSI/food stamps, often the most available foods aren't exactly the healthiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies