Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 PM

529 posts, read 363,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Hey CD admin, can we have a RAHOWA subforum? I know it'll clear half the politics threads but still, for organizational clarity, it'd be useful.
Lols..do you eve know what RaHoWa means? jeez at least try doing it correctly. It means Racial Holy War.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Ever look at pictures of people from the 1950s and early 1960s? Notice that just about everyone was white. There had been very little immigration since the 1920s and the percentage of foreign born individuals was very low. Pretty much everyone spoke English (with exceptions of course), and the term ESL and all the talk about America's strength was in it's diversity was years away.

This all changed starting in the late 1960s with the passage of new immigration laws that allowed for huge increases of immigrants from Latin America, Africa and Asia. Then in the 1990s the number of immigrants let in each year just exploded. Now whites are a minority in many US States.

What would have happened if the Immigration Laws had not changed and we continued to let immigrants come into America at the low levels of the 1925-1965?
Of course immigration was at a low. Strict immigration laws, the Depression, and WW II kept most immigrants away for many years. However, there were still a lot of foreign born people, including many in my hometown who were born in Italy, Poland, and other countries in eastern/southern Europe. My husband's paternal grandparents were living here then and born in Sweden. Many people in my hometown did not speak English, especially the older women. (Men had more of an incentive to learn, so they could work.) DH's grandmother NEVER learned English, even though she emigrated here in her teens. There were plenty of people with whom to speak Swedish in Oakland, Nebraska, and there were restaurants there with menus in Swedish. The church I attend in Boulder, Colorado had services in Swedish into the late 60s. There were "Settelment Houses" in some midwestern cities that taught people English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Call me a racist, I don't care, but this 50 year old pines for the days when we all learned and spoke English and we considered ourselves Americans without hyphens and subcultures. The 30% foreign speaking neighborhood of my youth didn't assert its diversity, it assimilated into a UNITED States. Today when I see signs in other languages, or hear people immediately talk in another language to the clerk behind the counter, it makes me angry. I will say it here: I don't like diversity, I don't like the stress, I don't like the rainbow. And I don't care if that makes me old-fashioned our out of touch or unrealistic. I'm certain I'm not alone.
See above.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-02-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Call me a racist, I don't care, but this 50 year old pines for the days when we all learned and spoke English and we considered ourselves Americans without hyphens and subcultures. The 30% foreign speaking neighborhood of my youth didn't assert its diversity, it assimilated into a UNITED States. Today when I see signs in other languages, or hear people immediately talk in another language to the clerk behind the counter, it makes me angry. I will say it here: I don't like diversity, I don't like the stress, I don't like the rainbow. And I don't care if that makes me old-fashioned our out of touch or unrealistic. I'm certain I'm not alone.
You're not.

64 years old here and I view the past through very rose-colored glasses, too.

I think one of my anthro profs in college said it best: it may be hard-wired into the primal tribal brain to dislike and fear those who are different and who don't assimilate.

Oh, the horror -- I am being politically incorrect.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Ever look at pictures of people from the 1950s and early 1960s? Notice that just about everyone was white. There had been very little immigration since the 1920s and the percentage of foreign born individuals was very low. Pretty much everyone spoke English (with exceptions of course), and the term ESL and all the talk about America's strength was in it's diversity was years away.

This all changed starting in the late 1960s with the passage of new immigration laws that allowed for huge increases of immigrants from Latin America, Africa and Asia. Then in the 1990s the number of immigrants let in each year just exploded. Now whites are a minority in many US States.

What would have happened if the Immigration Laws had not changed and we continued to let immigrants come into America at the low levels of the 1925-1965?
Many supposedly "all white" people have African American blood, from the American slavery era when white men fathered children with black slaves. Peoples' heritage, when you go back a few generations, would surprise you.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
in 2050 will be a minority but it will still be the largest Minority. I guess that counts for something!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
You're not.

64 years old here and I view the past through very rose-colored glasses, too.

I think one of my anthro profs in college said it best: it may be hard-wired into the primal tribal brain to dislike and fear those who are different and who don't assimilate.

Oh, the horror -- I am being politically incorrect.
Thank you. I want to be with people like me and when I'm surrounded by "others" I don't feel comfortable. Like you mention, I would say that's human nature, not prejudice. However, I'm much more comfortable with a diversity of ideas. That's the one kind of diversity I'm wired to handle.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall84 View Post
Whites to become minority in U.S. by 2050 | Reuters

My race as whole will be a minority by 2050...I hope somehow we can pull out of this and expand. By 2200 there won't be any white folks left more than likely at this rate.
Make more babies then.

The reason why our landscape is changing is not entirely because of immigrants. Families didn't used to be just 1 or 2 kids. They used to be 3 to 6 kids. In some cultures like Irish and Italian, 5 to 10 kids.

If market share, lol, is your concern.............. get busy.

Because the folks you all hate so much have much larger families.

Stop being cheap about child support, stop getting vasectomies, and start spreadin the love, lol. Otherwise? There's no point in complaining about it.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I grew up in the 50's and 60's in the Pacific NW and our affluent neighborhood was diversified, we had middle eastern jews and arabs, pacific rim folk, blacks, latino, Native Americans and I was one of the brown folk (NDN) and a whole host of other cultures/races including "white" what ever culture/race that is. My grade school and HS ran the whole rainbow of colors and yah know what so did my father's who grew up in SoCal. in the '20's and 30's I looked at his HS year book and again - every color of the rainbow including someone you might have heard of - Jackie Robinson, so for those of you who think this is something new - in many areas of the country it's not.

Oh and about that comment about assimilation:

Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Lols..do you eve know what RaHoWa means? jeez at least try doing it correctly. It means Racial Holy War.
Yes that's the joke, chief. Thanks for getting it.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Actually whites are minorities in
Texas
New Mexico
California
Hawaii

These are next in line good thing I am getting the hell out of Georgia.

Just want to know exactly how being over 70% of the population in the State of Texas makes "whites" a minority?

Quit the kool-aid, it only leaves marks.
Texas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Quote:
White person 2010(a) 70.4% [Texas] 72.4% [USA]
Come on, I know you guys are reaching for straws and grasping for anything to whip people up in a lather, but seriously...do you not think the blatantly false "facts" can't be looked up and get you called out on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies