Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How do people on welfare afford to move elsewhere? I'm not on welfare and I can't afford to move.

Since presumably they have very few possessions, it should be quite easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Meanwhile...

D.C. Region Is Tops in Income - WSJ.com

Go figure.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
How do people on welfare afford to move elsewhere? I'm not on welfare and I can't afford to move.
Valid point, but lets be honest, they have no desire to move. Why should they? The City Council is 100% Democratic, and vote consistently to fund welfare. Even worse, the Federal Government put a 5 year time limit on some benefits, and the City Council STILL finds a way to pay what the Fed will no longer pay.

Is there any wonder that the city votes Democratic? Do Liberals see the problem here?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

This is absolutely sickening. How in the world does 40% of a city receive some sort of public assistance? Even worse, it's the Capital City of the United States of America!

Why does it take "budget cuts" to jolt a city into reducing its welfare roles?

It seems that Democrats know exactly what it takes to keep black people on the Democratic Plantation. Otherwise, it wouldn't be "budget cuts" that move people off of the welfare roles, it would be economic growth, jobs, education, and a much needed cultural correction in the DC black community.

This is disgusting.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: City limiting funding for welfare recipients | Liz Farmer | DC | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/11/city-limiting-funding-welfare-recipients#ixzz1ce7ZBCx7 - broken link)
Flashback:
Beltway Earnings Make U.S. Capital Richer Than Silicon Valley - Bloomberg

So, the city with the highest median wages also has 40% of the city on public assistance? Can you say wage inequality?

Why aren't those useful idiots in the OWS movement protesting this?

Silly Marxists!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Do Liberals see the problem here?
Problem? Hell, its what they want. An ignorant voter base that heavily relies on them to live.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Problem? Hell, its what they want. An ignorant voter base that heavily relies on them to live.
You're exactly right. I sincerely wish that one of the forum liberals would come forth and opine on the subject. I'd like to see if they'll actually own up to the consequences of holding a certain segment of society down through the plethora of social safety nets and various other escape hatches available to the Perpetually Lazy.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Since presumably they have very few possessions, it should be quite easy.

Where would they get first/last/security deposit/app fee/this fee/that fee/etc?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Where would they get first/last/security deposit/app fee/this fee/that fee/etc?
Excuses excuses excuses.

There are always obstacles, but why is it that in discussions like this someone always comes up with a million what ifs in order to justify inaction?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Excuses excuses excuses.

There are always obstacles, but why is it that in discussions like this someone always comes up with a million what ifs in order to justify inaction?

Because I have never found anyone who would let me move in without all that up front money.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Because I have never found anyone who would let me move in without all that up front money.
And most people can get together a couple hundred bucks. Plus if you're talking security deposits and first last month, that makes no sense. Get your old security deposit back, and if your last month is paid take the rent you would have otherwise paid and use it towards the new place.

Or how bout this: figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies