Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
then "those" who state with great clarity and factual data that the typical welfare / food stamp recipient(s) are:

white
rural
poor

Are all delusional?

you must be one of the misguided souls who thinks the above three categories are:

brown skinned
urban
poor
they arent delusional, they are just ignorant in the ways that the census people keep tabs on whos who and how people from latin american countries are often counted as caucasion/white.

you must be one of the misguided souls who assumes anyone who is critical of welfare benefits is racist.

how liberal and bigoted of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
94% of food stamps recipients are US born citizens, nearly half are children
This is good news. Our government-run social programs should always help US citizens first, not illegals.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is good news. Our government-run social programs should always help US citizens first, not illegals.
except that the children receiving the benefits have illegals for parents.

thats not good news.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You do not have to be a US citizen or even a legal immigrant to collect benefits for your US born children.
you have to produce documentation!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Wow...lot's of misconceptions in this thread. My BF applied for food stamps last month. I printed out his application (he did it online...but I had to print it out from my work computer) and went with him to the welfare office. He had to bring his birth certificate; and he is a US-born, White male.

Also something does not jibe about the article's statistics. It states that 70% of households receiving foodstamps have no earned income. Yet this article states that 40% of food stamp recipients live in a household where someone is earning a wage. It's a 10% margin of error (which for the mathematically challenged, is not too reliable...if the sampled population is larger than 100).

Also all the lamenting about poor people having a higher birthrate is also misguided. Here is a quote from this article:

Quote:
Interestingly, as families begin to have more children, expenditures for each child begin to decrease. Families that have three or more children spend an average of 22% less on each child. The more kids, the more likely they will share bedrooms and clothing, food can be purchased in more economical packages and schooling is sometimes offered at a discount.
Also when you are comparing poor people to working & higher class people, poor people are more likely to stay at home with their kids and/or rely on family for childcare. The kids double up in bedrooms and use hand-me-downs for clothes.

I'm not going to bash the entire food stamp program because of a small group of illegals utilizing the benefits. There is a lot more good points about the program than bad...that's for sure!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
At least the government is doing something worthwhile for its citizens. Now we need to add housing, clothing and medical care to the list.

We could pay for it by withdrawing all of our troops and closing our Middle East bases.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Also all the lamenting about poor people having a higher birthrate is also misguided. Here is a quote from this article:
It is NOT misguided. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of everyone else. They are outbreeding those who pay to support them by a rate of 3 to 1.

And if it costs so much less to have additional children, why do they keep getting more welfare program benefits for each additional child they bear?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I looked up a FS application. It does ask if everyone in the hh is a US citizen, if no list the name(s).

If I were here illegally I would definately check NO and list the names of all the illegals in my hh. Not.
WHAT!!!

You would lie on a government form if you were an illegal alien?

Why...I cannot imagine an illegal alien would be dishonest.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is NOT misguided. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of everyone else. They are outbreeding those who pay to support them by a rate of 3 to 1.

And if it costs so much less to have additional children, why do they keep getting more welfare program benefits for each additional child they bear?

Look how darn easy we make it for these people no. Some of these people keep popping out babies like pop-tarts, it will never end this cycle, because we make it easy on them.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM

87 posts, read 87,179 times
Hello,

I think these food stamp usage numbers are too low, because of transportation cost to get this service to the bulk of America which is rural involve very high costs. Many rural communities lack public transportation. If that was eliminated then I think the numbers would be justified.

I think the program will continue but it will require more involvement of the applicant such as being tested for drugs, report ownership of firearms, criminal background etc. However because the cost of transportation is applied to food the trade off seems less so either the numbers here will remain unchanged because in many rural communities they would rather keep their firearms than give them up for food stamps. Food cost continue to climb but the program may not be able to adjust to the cost of it leaving the applicant in a 'one' can or 'one' bowl of whatever a day instead of a full government recommendation of a breakfast, lunch, and dinner per day.

We dug our hole to be buried in it.

That's my thoughts on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies