U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,590,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I wasn't aware that there was an illegal alien box on application. The article states that the recipients are US born citizens, so I assume they asked country of orgin. I see no reason why an illegal immigrant would put USA as country of origin, seems rather far fetched. Choosing legal, yes, but native born?
OP good post. exactly. Plus they would be discontinued if HHS determined they arent a US citizen with a state driver's license. They are required to show ID its not like they just get foodstamps in the mail.

sad so many US children are at record poverty level.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM

81,577 posts, read 39,008,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
sad so many US children are at record poverty level.
Sad? The multitude of social welfare programs enable and encourage it.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 PM

2,337 posts, read 7,508,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is NOT misguided. Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times that of everyone else. They are outbreeding those who pay to support them by a rate of 3 to 1.

And if it costs so much less to have additional children, why do they keep getting more welfare program benefits for each additional child they bear?
First of all, the benefits may increase, but are not linear. For example, 1 person can get a maximum of $200, 2 - $367 (a $167 increase), 3 - $526 (a $159 increase), 4 - $668 (a $142 increase) and so on. Also keep in mind that these amounts are monthly. So at the 1 person to 2 person step, you're looking at an extra $41.75 per week for the additional person. This is very reasonable...especially if you want to eat healthy foods (fresh produce and meat prices are through the roof).

Second of all, the 'household' can consist of anyone living under the same roof....not just children.

And thirdly you should be complaining about supporting the US military, not poor people buying food. 30% of federal tax revenue goes to the Defense Department; while a measly 4.6% is spent on food stamps.

It's going to take a lot more children to catch up with the other ways that the government is spending your money.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Look how darn easy we make it for these people no. Some of these people keep popping out babies like pop-tarts, it will never end this cycle, because we make it easy on them.
Really? I actually live in a low-income area. My friends are working class, but my boyfriend's friends are almost all below the poverty level. I can't think of even one instance where any of them have a family with more than three children. However I do know of several middle-class and above families who have 4+ children.

It actually is not easy at all to have a lot of children when you are poor. My boyfriend's ex has two (thankfully, only one of them is his). She gets WIC and assistance with daycare costs. She gets Section 8 too. But no cash benefits. She was going to school, but since she doesn't have a car, she had to drop out.

I'm no fan of my BF's ex, but at age 28, she's in a heck of a rut. The main difference between myself and her is that I had a family that was willing to support me until age 23 (when I finished college); while her mother died, and her father was never in the picture. Also birth control costs money. I know...I used to get it for free while I was in college, but when I was not longer a student, and without health insurance, I had to spend $50/month on birth control pills! I only did that for a year. Thankfully, I wasn't so lucky getting dates...so pregnancy was not really a threat.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM

15,858 posts, read 33,543,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
people always associate social programs with urban areas....always forgetting the rural poor which is (drumroll) 90+% white.
The rural poor huh? Those would be the ones who sit on their butts watching American Idol on their 52" big screen TV, drinking their Jack Daniels (or Bud Light), and puffing on their cigarettes and playing "Angry Birds" on their iPhones. This, of course, while their children are busy with their WII or PS2, streaming Netflix videos, and purchasing songs on iTunes.

You know, I'd almost rather support the illegal immigrant who actually uses the food stamps and welfare to provide food, shelter and clothing for their children instead of these 90+% white people who sell their EBT card every month to buy meth and eagerly accept my tax money instead of getting off their collective arses and actually getting a job.

But that's just me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM

81,577 posts, read 39,008,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
you should be complaining about supporting the US military, not poor people buying food. 30% of federal tax revenue goes to the Defense Department; while a measly 4.6% is spent on food stamps.
Wrong and deliberately deceptive on all fronts. The multitude of welfare programs include more than just food stamps, and the 30% figure you quote is the percentage of discretionary spending, which is only 1/3 of the federal budget:

The actual facts:

Social programs spending (at least 52% of the budget, if not more) is the bulk of the federal budget. National defense and security is only 21%:

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/images/stories/tax-dollars-spent-100405-02.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM

15,858 posts, read 33,543,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Really? I actually live in a low-income area. My friends are working class, but my boyfriend's friends are almost all below the poverty level. I can't think of even one instance where any of them have a family with more than three children. However I do know of several middle-class and above families who have 4+ children.

It actually is not easy at all to have a lot of children when you are poor. My boyfriend's ex has two (thankfully, only one of them is his). She gets WIC and assistance with daycare costs. She gets Section 8 too. But no cash benefits. She was going to school, but since she doesn't have a car, she had to drop out.

I'm no fan of my BF's ex, but at age 28, she's in a heck of a rut. The main difference between myself and her is that I had a family that was willing to support me until age 23 (when I finished college); while her mother died, and her father was never in the picture. Also birth control costs money. I know...I used to get it for free while I was in college, but when I was not longer a student, and without health insurance, I had to spend $50/month on birth control pills! I only did that for a year. Thankfully, I wasn't so lucky getting dates...so pregnancy was not really a threat.
Saying... "No, we're not married" is free, last I checked.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,546,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
then "those" who state with great clarity and factual data that the typical welfare / food stamp recipient(s) are:

white
rural
poor

Are all delusional?

you must be one of the misguided souls who thinks the above three categories are:

brown skinned
urban
poor
According to this by-county map of food stamp usage, most of the lowest rates occur in rural, white, conservative areas like Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, the Dakotas and Idaho.
Food Stamp Usage Across the Country - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

It's an uncomfortable fact, but the places that have the highest instance of food stamp usage are places with a high black population. Toggle the white/black maps to get a clearer picture of the south. Whites in Liberal Maine or Oregon are more likely to be on food stamps than 'trailer trash' from Mississippi or Alabama.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM

25,230 posts, read 16,084,664 times
Lets not forget all those military servicemen and women drawing benefits, oh wait, that would not fit into the current whining here, nevermind

Old 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

The categories on these charts are vague...and seem to only address current spending, and not past expenses that the government is paying on. Here, I found this page....which has a lot of pretty pictures and graphs to help you see it more clearly. I especially like the 'itemized tax receipt'. What does it say there....oh, a 'retired couple' with the income of $100,000 pays $1,354.55 of their $7,555.00 tax bill to defense-related items (add up lines 5-9 on the receipt) vs. $116.21 for food stamps.

'Discretionary spending' is most definitely not all spent on social services!

Last edited by MissShona; 11-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: added the last sentence...for clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies