Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
"But the Michigan legislature is doing its best to make me hang my head in shame. On Wednesday, the Republican-controlled state senate passed an anti-bullying bill that manages to protect school bullies instead of those they victimize. It accomplishes this impressive feat by allowing students, teachers, and other school employees to claim that “a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction” justifies their harassment."

"This year, Republicans only agreed to consider an anti-bullying measure that did not require school districts to report bullying incidents, did not include any provisions for enforcement or teacher training, and did not hold administrators accountable if they fail to act. And they fought back Democratic attempts to enumerate particular types of students who are prone to being bullied, such as religious and racial minorities, and gay students. But it was the addition of special protections for religiously-motivated bullying that led all 11 Democratic senators to vote against the legislation they had long championed."

Read more: Michigan's Anti-Bullying Bill: Protecting Religious Tormenters? | Swampland | TIME.com

It Wouldn't Be Hard to Get Around Michigan's Anti-Bullying Bill - National - The Atlantic Wire

State Senate Passes Anti-Bullying Bill
Those aren't facts. Those are opinions. Show me a bill that says it's OK to bully for religious reasons. Complaints from Democratic legislators about what might happen are opinions... not facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Don't have time to read through this whole thread. But I have to wonder if the Bill actually protects religious students who "bully" gay students or, in actuality, protects the religious students right to verbalize their belief that homosexuality is wrong? Huge difference. I suspect its the latter.
How about a student that believes that blacks shouldn't attend his school because he believes them to be inferior. Or that girls don't need to be educated because it is his belief that they belong in the home serving men. A public school is not a place for anyone's religious beliefs.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Those aren't facts. Those are opinions. Show me a bill that says it's OK to bully for religious reasons. Complaints from Democratic legislators about what might happen are opinions... not facts.
The legislation "does not prohibit a statement of a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction" of a student or school employee.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Why Does Michigan’s Anti-Bullying Bill Protect Religious Tormenters? | Swampland | TIME.com

Apparently it's ok to bully people if there's a religious reason. Are these people setting society back?
Ya know, I see a lot of bullying going on today, and some of it is coming from the White House, but most certainly most of it comes from leftists who disagree with Republicans on most everything. It comes from "Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky.

Why should I be concerned about your particular beef?

The "Occupiers" are bullying everybody, and ruining lives in the process.

Your little insignificant peeve pales when compared with these.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
A public school is not a place for anyone's religious beliefs.
This is so true!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,264 times
Quote:
How about a student that believes that blacks shouldn't attend his school because he believes them to be inferior. Or that girls don't need to be educated because it is his belief that they belong in the home serving men. A public school is not a place for anyone's religious beliefs.
What? a) That a student can't believe or even verbalize those words? Or b) that a student can't beat the cr*p out of a black student or a female student based on those beliefs?

I don't have a problem with "a." But "b" should definitely not be allowed.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Don't have time to read through this whole thread. But I have to wonder if the Bill actually protects religious students who "bully" gay students or, in actuality, protects the religious students right to verbalize their belief that homosexuality is wrong? Huge difference. I suspect its the latter.
The language in the bill that is at issue basically allows those who bully an harass others from escaping punishment for bullying if they claim they did so for religious reasons. Someone's religious beliefs should not give them the ability to bully and harass others and escape punishment for it, this bill does that.

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Also, I was unaware she was bullied. Maybe you could provide an example?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
She was called out for her remarks. Didn't you know that having to logically explain your viewpoints is the very definition of persecution!
She was sent death threats for her views, and still receives them from "tolerant" progressives who are angry that she doesn't think like they do. Yes, death threats are a form of bullying. It's also a criminal act.

What wold happen in a work place if someone approached a gay co-worker and said, "Your a dirty sinner and a abomination before god"?

They would be S-canned in no time flat. So why is it OK to let it go on in our schools?

Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The bill does not say its "OK" however, what the bill does do is allow those who are bullying someone to pull the religious card and get away with bullying someone for that reason without repercussions.

Last edited by Smash255; 11-04-2011 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies