Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Wrong info. spreads like wildfire these days with the popularity of social media and it's really bugging me. I'm trying not to let it bother me but most of it is negative and incorrect, not facts. It really shows there is a huge number of people that know nothing about our government, history or our country. It's not as if I know everything by a long shot but I don't repost things I see on someones page w/o even knowing it's true.

I have let a lot of things go by and not said anything, otherwise I may not have some of those friends but some I can't let go. So, if a FB friend posts something that I know for sure is wrong and I can find a link to a nonpartisan site explaining the fact, is that wrong? It's not been taken well a few times because they just looked at it as me defending a particular party or person. Totally not true, I vote for the person and not for the party. I just think it's irresponsible to pass along negative incorrect info. and a bit lazy I might add.

Does anyone else have an issue with this and should I just block myself from seeing their posts, shut up or keep on telling the truth. The truth is my preference but the truth also causes problems it seems.
Agree with you 100%. And, yes, I do openly correct. I also do a 'reply all' correction when I receive a garbage email...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I don't correct them online. I go to them and tell them to their face. If I personally know a person, facebook is the last place I want to air out dirty laundry. Better to tell the person to their face before it gets out of hand.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Magritte, "shoving it in faces?" So, you feel you are shoving your beliefs in my face, right now? Surely not! and in my opinion, no, you are not. You are simply daring to speak your mind. Very good! Now....realize that you can do this very same thing on Facebook, or anywhere, and not be doing a thing, wrong.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Magritte, "shoving it in faces?" So, you feel you are shoving your beliefs in my face, right now? Surely not! and in my opinion, no, you are not. You are simply daring to speak your mind. Very good! Now....realize that you can do this very same thing on Facebook, or anywhere, and not be doing a thing, wrong.
No I don't know you from Adam. So no, I am not shoving anything in anyone's face. This is a political debate forum so it is acceptable to debate.

I know I can, I don't believe I should.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
I discovered Facebook to be a vast wealth of organizations. Thankfully, politics and religion are well-represented on there, as is, I believe, almost everything except the very vile, of course.

I hope you will grow to have the desire to "reply" to your friends and family when they attempt to engage you on a subject that you'd prefer to not speak about, to them. This is your country, too and if you have wisdom, it needs you.

Thanks for the replies. I wish you well~

Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Wrong info. spreads like wildfire these days with the popularity of social media and it's really bugging me. I'm trying not to let it bother me but most of it is negative and incorrect, not facts. It really shows there is a huge number of people that know nothing about our government, history or our country. It's not as if I know everything by a long shot but I don't repost things I see on someones page w/o even knowing it's true.

I have let a lot of things go by and not said anything, otherwise I may not have some of those friends but some I can't let go. So, if a FB friend posts something that I know for sure is wrong and I can find a link to a nonpartisan site explaining the fact, is that wrong? It's not been taken well a few times because they just looked at it as me defending a particular party or person. Totally not true, I vote for the person and not for the party. I just think it's irresponsible to pass along negative incorrect info. and a bit lazy I might add.

Does anyone else have an issue with this and should I just block myself from seeing their posts, shut up or keep on telling the truth. The truth is my preference but the truth also causes problems it seems.
The first person who ever 'unfriended' me on Facebook did so because I corrected him regarding something he'd posted. I was just as happy to see him go because I was getting tired of reading the crap he was posting. I still see it from time to time because others on my list still post replies to him (some in agreement; some disagreeing) but at least I'm not subjected to it every day! And I'm not talking just of his opinions; those I could ignore for the most part because other than politically he did post some interesting stuff. But his political pieces were always things that were easily refuted and in fact had been proven wrong via snopes or other sites. I guess he tired of being proven wrong every day, but rather than doing further research and actually thinking about what he believed about politics in general or certain political figures, he simply got rid of what he saw as 'the problem' - me.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I don't "correct." I "converse."
I try to do the same, but some people simply don't want to hear (or read) anything that doesn't agree with them or their ideas.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,204 times
Quote:

I stopped using Facebook. It's the single greatest outlet for narcissists ever to exist on the planet.

I don't go online to tell people about me. What can I say? I'm a private person.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There's only a certain demographic that really cares this much about facebook. Stop thinking these social networking sites are the be all end all of truth and facts because they aren't. People need to realize that mostly misinformed CHILDREN are using FB so take anything you read there with a grain of salt.
Not really true. example: I have over 200 on my 'friends list' and I can count on one hand those who are children, all of them on my list because they're related to me - nieces, nephews, cousins etc. And none of them getting involved in the various political discussions. They are there mainly for the games available on Facebook, though they occasionally post birthday or holiday greetings to other family members and friends.

There is one group I'm a member of where there is a small number of younger participants, but that's because the group's purpose is fighting bullying in all forms. So we allow some of bullying's victims - even the younger ones - to post of the bullying they've been subjected to or witnessed and what they have or haven't done about it. We offer suggestions on how to deal with bullying in ways that won't automatically escalate it. We share our own stories of bullying we've dealt with and how we handled it, either at the time or later on. If you're on Facebook, check out the page - "Standing up for victims of bullying (child or adult)". Standing Up For Victims of Bullies (Child or Adult) | Facebook
This is the 'public page' - the group page is 'private', or at least as private as a Facebook group can be. You would have to be invited to join; that way we can keep the 'trolls' out of the group because you don't get invited until you have 'proven' yourself on the public page.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
I stay far away from correcting people like that on facebook. I have gone as far as to unfriend people who keep posting too many things of a political nature on my wall.

Facebook is a public, permanent record. It is the same thing as an online resume. Having a political discussion on facebook is as smart as having a heated political discussion in a public park. You never know who might hear you, and you never know how that might affect your future. The next time you apply for a new job, your potential boss IS going to check your facebook profile. If there are political postings that makes him/her uncomfortable, then you just lost the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies