Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM

186 posts, read 261,950 times

Advertisements

I am RESPONSIBLE. Blame me.

Just once I want to hear those words from people. Those libs, them conservatives, left wing, right wing, moderate, 99%, 1%, 45%, black, white, Latino, Asian, rich, poor…we are all American and we are all human. We did not get in the hole we are in, only on the bad decisions of a few people. Nor will we get out of the hole by blaming other people. We will only get out of the hole if…first we STOP digging; second we slowly start filling in the hole, one handful of dirt at a time. It may take a long time.

I am RESPONIBLE. I am willing to work.

Just once I want to hear a politician say…I am responsible. For the duration of my term, I will focus on rebuilding America, do it with me. It seems like the politicians have big picture plans, big $$ plans. Instead of spending billions of $$, how about if the President tells states, if you come up with something that works, we will give you $$ in assistance, but you have to make it work first. Submit a solid plan. With many people thinking about how to solve a problem, maybe someone will get something on the right track and others can join in.

I am RESPONSIBLE. I have ideas.

Maybe the White House should start a wiki (look how Wikipedia took off) where people could post ideas, projects, get the ball rolling. If one person says, I have work for 4 hours a day for someone, isn’t that better than no job? Yes, we have problems. No, in some instances, people are not going to make more than minimum wage. It is what I started with long ago and I worked my way up. Maybe we could start job pyramids, where25 families get together, with a project manager and renovate a building, living together, learning not only the job skills but the life skills, how to watch and teach the kids, good nutrition, budgeting. Maybe it is a sad idea…but it is an idea, and it may spark an idea in someone who can make something happen.

I am RESPONSIBLE. I have skills.

If you have skills, share them. Volunteer, habitat for humanity, babysit for someone who can go to work. Show just one person how to work on a computer, or how to read. There are so many ways you can work and learn, even the how-to classes at places like Home Depot, which are free.

Instead of collecting unemployment and sitting, put people to work. Still pay them unemployment but find projects for them. Allow cross training while on the program. They would still be getting their unemployment money but they would have more opportunities and local projects could get done, maintenance, roads, bridges, inventories, there are so many places now that can use help, skilled or unskilled but can’t afford it.

I am RESPONSIBLE. Acceptance.

There are people who do not have the good of America in their hearts. Generally life seems to be 20:60:20 (no data link, these are my own thoughts). 20% of the people are over achievers, they strive for their own personal satisfaction. 60% of the people are in the middle, they strive for some things and don’t care about others, they are normal working people who live, are our neighbors and ourselves. 20% of the people don’t care, they will never care and you can’t make them. No matter what your theological outlook, they have been touched by something that has warped them. They will always be part of the problem and never part of the solution. They are drug addicts and rapists, child molesters and the eternally lazy. You can tug-of-war as to whether they can/should be helped for hours, it will not change the fact that they are there. They will not help solve the problems. They are not responsible.

I am RESPONSIBLE. I am American.

For the sake of disclosure: I am a Federal Employee, for over 27 years, from a time when it was “service” to go into a Federal Service. I think I work hard. I have spent many lunches working, because as people quit or retire, they are not replaced. I come in early and stay late. A lot of my co-workers are doing the same thing. We try very hard to keep the same service level, with fewer people every year. I am thankful I still have a job and I put as much into savings as I can. I have not been to a training class in over 5 years, so I buy books and train myself as much as possible, and I take the tests for my certifications. I work in the computer field.

I do own my home; it is a mobile home in a park. It was what I could afford. Because it is a mobile home, the loan could not be funded by a bank, so I paid 12.5% interest on the loan. A mobile home is considered personal property so not available for any type of home perks loans. I finally paid it off this summer. I drive a 13 yo car. Maybe in a few years I can get a new one, right now I am saving. I refuse to have another long term loan. It has taken me my entire adult life to learn a lesson my grandparents knew.

I am RESPONSIBLE. Are you RESPONSIBLE?

There is a story called Stone Soup. Where a man comes into town with several stones puts them in a pot over the central fire and has everyone bring one thing to add to the pot and eventually they have enough to feed the village a stew, where each person alone would have had a cold, paltry, lonely supper. Maybe it is time to get a village movement going to create lives. Maybe we can’t do it alone. Maybe someone needs to bring paint, and someone else boards, and someone else nails, and someone else tools, until we have enough to build a house, and we teach others the way to work, have pride and motivation in the process. Maybe our Government cannot fix this. Maybe it has to start with us.

Are you RESPONSIBLE?

If all you do is complain, nothing gets done. Let’s hear the ideas. What have you done, what will you do to help shore up America before she sinks into the night. If you do not believe the Government is doing things correctly…change it. But there are things you can do to put your one handful of dirt (or more) back into the hole.

Be RESPONSIBLE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,776,449 times
You and every reasonable person wants to hear it.... to bad it'll never happen.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,607,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetakai View Post
If you do not believe the Government is doing things correctly…change it.
Good idea! Now I just have to figure out how to become a U.S. dictator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies