Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
And the other 5%?
LOL...the bad luck of people's wells going bad.

At that time I did very little new construction.

Most of the contractors want kick back.....just not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL...the bad luck of people's wells going bad.

At that time I did very little new construction.

Most of the contractors want kick back.....just not my style.
I think you're purposefully being obtuse so I'm going to let this one go.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
I think you're purposefully being obtuse so I'm going to let this one go.
Oh come on.....no one ever just decides to put $6000/$10,000 into a new well if they don't need it.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Okay, I'm over 50 and have no money. How can I become a welder and is it realistically too late for me?

Heck no, in the area that I live we have a free skills center that teaches all sorts of trades for free, usually two nights a week for six months. If you don't have that sort of thing where you live look up some mechanical trade companies where you live, welding shops, contactors are usually always looking for good people. Your age might be beneficial to them because you're probably not a drug addict, and you'll show up to work Mon-fri ready to work and not hung over all the time.

I don't know this driller person who's posting on this thread, but if she's a business owner with steady work, I'd be willing to bet she would hire someone even if she doesn't really need them if she thinks this person is a good bet. That's usually how it works in the trades, business owners will hire you if they think you're a good bet no matter how much work they have. I've seen it done all the time.
It's not easy for blue collar companies to find good people, tradesmen have the reputation for being drug addicts, alcoholics, bad home life, stealing, arrest records, no drivers license, its sad but its true. One of my friends who is a general forman at a mechanical contrator just started giving bonuses to employees for showing up to work everyday for 60 days. Half the guys can't even do that.
The job I have right now, had one thousand applicants and I was one of 19 to get hired, over 600 left because of the drug test. Here's the best part, the drug test was urine and hair sample. I've shaved my head since 2001 and I got the job in 2006 so the nurse had to shave my legs for the drug test, my shins to be exact, actually the hair on my left leg hasn't come back and I have Chewbacca hairy legs can I sue for that? anyway over 90 guys beyond the 600, showed up for the drug test hairless, they shaved their bodies to avoid the hair sample. Hair samples can go back more than 90 days. These idiots actually believed they could get out of taking the test by shaving their body hair. They got out of it alright, out of a job.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Oh come on.....no one ever just decides to put $6000/$10,000 into a new well if they don't need it.
No, I mean in the sense of trying to prove that you never once got lucky, even to the smallest degree, which helped to get you to where you are today.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Heck no, in the area that I live we have a free skills center that teaches all sorts of trades for free, usually two nights a week for six months. If you don't have that sort of thing where you live look up some mechanical trade companies where you live, welding shops, contactors are usually always looking for good people. Your age might be beneficial to them because you're probably not a drug addict, and you'll show up to work Mon-fri ready to work and not hung over all the time.

I don't know this driller person who's posting on this thread, but if she's a business owner with steady work, I'd be willing to bet she would hire someone even if she doesn't really need them if she thinks this person is a good bet. That's usually how it works in the trades, business owners will hire you if they think you're a good bet no matter how much work they have. I've seen it done all the time.
It's not easy for blue collar companies to find good people, tradesmen have the reputation for being drug addicts, alcoholics, bad home life, stealing, arrest records, no drivers license, its sad but its true. One of my friends who is a general forman at a mechanical contrator just started giving bonuses to employees for showing up to work everyday for 60 days. Half the guys can't even do that.
The job I have right now, had one thousand applicants and I was one of 19 to get hired, over 600 left because of the drug test. Here's the best part, the drug test was urine and hair sample. I've shaved my head since 2001 and I got the job in 2006 so the nurse had to shave my legs for the drug test, my shins to be exact, actually the hair on my left leg hasn't come back and I have Chewbacca hairy legs can I sue for that? anyway over 90 guys beyond the 600, showed up for the drug test hairless, they shaved their bodies to avoid the hair sample. Hair samples can go back more than 90 days. These idiots actually believed they could get out of taking the test by shaving their body hair. They got out of it alright, out of a job.
Lol wow that's dumb. At least shave a month before and let the hair grow back.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I worked for a guy in PA whose well basically dried up back in the '90s after he got the price per ft to dig a new one he wanted to hand dig the first 15 ft.

I loved well pump work, not pulling myself when they were over 200ft but after the piping was on the ground and diagnosing the problem, whether it was the pump or wiring. Ohh yea, two pipe jet pumps weren't fun either. Those things were heavy and as deep as submersibles. I have a funny, not at the time funny story about stepping on the venturi tube (stupid two pipe wells) and breaking it at about 9:00 pm on a friday night in 8 inches of ice and snow.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Lol wow that's dumb. At least shave a month before and let the hair grow back.
It would have been better than what they did.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
Hands up do not have to be from the government. I too believe in hands up, I live it - without some greater good politician deciding when or how I should give someone a hand up - but I am conservative.

Government hands up almost always involve strings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Look, Miborn... of course it's possible. Is it likely? Um no. Hard work will still get you everywhere. You don't have to invent an imaginary $20 million to make a point. I was born poor. (not in trailer ... that's just a bit too much rhetorical flourish for my tastes) I wasn't given anything for college ... not even a poetic $100. I'm a college educated bona fide member of the middle class. Hard work. I'm also a Democrat because I believe in hands up, not hand outs.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post

It's not easy for blue collar companies to find good people, tradesmen have the reputation for being drug addicts, alcoholics, bad home life, stealing, arrest records, no drivers license, its sad but its true.
One of my friends who is a general forman at a mechanical contrator just started giving bonuses to employees for showing up to work everyday for 60 days. Half the guys can't even do that.
That is surprisingly true. I am not sure if it would be the same as a "trade" but the culinary arts profession can have similar issues. I worked as a caterer/assistant chief and once they realized that I would show up consistently and had no side issues I got boatloads of work, free lunches, often free dinner, and sometime free booze and they pay was awesome too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies